Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2014, 08:50 AM   #1666
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thndrmatt View Post
Historically my name would show up in both the military and regular results tallies, so you probably don't have to subtract those out as they are duplicates. That may have changed in the last couple years.
Oh...oops! Thanks for that!

Okay, so if the Military finishers are already counted in the official results, that means...

11941 people finished Wine & Dine/14650 bibs bought = 81.5%
10449 people finished Avengers/12473 bibs bought = 83.77%

So similar results.
Ariel484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 01:07 PM   #1667
Melmac
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaDisneyCouple View Post
I'm also curious to know more about the taping. I presume it is done at the expo. Is there a charge? KT makes different kinds of tape, some of which claim to do better in wet conditions. Do you know if they use the KT Pro line of tape?
It would be interesting to see how much better they are at applying it than DW and I are. Half the time, I can't contort myself into the best position to apply it.
Yes, the KT taping is done at the Expo. The line looked short but I waited about 45 minutes. The first application to any area was free; if you wanted more than one, you had to buy one of their rolls of tape ($20!) and then they would tape as many spots as you wanted (with the tape you bought). I am not sure if they used the KT Pro but it stayed on pretty good for the Friday and Saturday, through a shower ... just didn't hang on well for the race.

Honestly, for taping PF, they did a much better job then I could, only because I have a hard time keeping my foot flexed up while applying the tape. I didn't have problems taping myself for shin splints though.
Nov 2014: POFQ - Wine and Dine 1/2 Marathon • Sep 2013: Offsite • Nov 2012: Art of Animation (LM) • Nov 2011: Port Orleans French Quarter • Oct 2010: Caribbean Beach • Sep 2009: Pop Century • Sep 2008: All-Star Sports • Dec 2007: Coronado Springs • Oct 2006: Port Orleans Riverside • Sep 2004: Caribbean Beach • May 1990: Offsite
Melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-19-2014, 02:38 PM   #1668
DisneyRunnerGirl
If you see me sitting in a rocking chair, it's because I'm tying my running shoes.

I have a good friend who is a big time race director (his biggest race is 15,000 folks). He once told me the expectation is that up to 10% who register won't show up at the start.

In our personal case for W&D this year, only our DS was registered. He elected not to run because we were all going to run the Avengers the following week as part of a major family vacation.

DS was fighting to get over a nasty cold and wanted to be in good shape for the Avengers. He figured running for 2 1/2 hours in the rain was not going to help that cause.

He lives in Orlando, so doing the W&D another year is much more reasonable for him than making the expensive trip to California plus he really wanted to make sure he ran the inaugural Avengers.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Old 11-19-2014, 03:21 PM   #1669
VAfamily1998
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyRunnerGirl View Post
I have a good friend who is a big time race director (his biggest race is 15,000 folks). He once told me the expectation is that up to 10% who register won't show up at the start.

In our personal case for W&D this year, only our DS was registered. He elected not to run because we were all going to run the Avengers the following week as part of a major family vacation.

DS was fighting to get over a nasty cold and wanted to be in good shape for the Avengers. He figured running for 2 1/2 hours in the rain was not going to help that cause.

He lives in Orlando, so doing the W&D another year is much more reasonable for him than making the expensive trip to California plus he really wanted to make sure he ran the inaugural Avengers.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
10%...hmmm so much smaller than the nearly 20% of the past 2 Disney races...

I was thinking that probably a large amount of "no shows" at W&D might have been locals that didn't want to run in that weather. For them, they are only missing out on the race fee, whereas those had to travel had incurred much bigger expenses and had more to lose. Totally understandable.

With Avengers, being that it's the first race that did NOT allow someone else to pick up a packet, I wondered if that had an effect on the large number of "no shows" too. Who knows how many of the people who showed up with a bib at wine and dine were truly running under their own bib?
VAfamily1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 06:32 PM   #1670
ChipandDaleFan16
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nulles View Post
You're welcome; I'm glad it was useful. There are characters at the after party in World Showcase (none in Future World- Character Spot is closed). These are in pre-defined locations listed in the after party pamphlet. I don't have it with me, but other than Remy/Emile in France and Tiana/Naveen/Louis in America none were unusual. The rain made it miserable so I didn't make it past the Brazil stand myself.

BTW there were four rides set to be open: Test Track, Soarin', Gran Fiesta, and Spaceship Earth but Test Track was closed due to the rain.
Thanks for sharing this info, Nulles! I didn't even know there was an after party pamphlet. Last year, I made it to the entrance of the World Showcase and saw how long the food lines were. I was so tired and had already tried some of the food kisoks the day before that I decided to turn around. I will be prepared to meet Remy/Emile next year and at least go on one ride!
ChipandDaleFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 09:31 AM   #1671
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfamily1998 View Post
I was thinking that probably a large amount of "no shows" at W&D might have been locals that didn't want to run in that weather. For them, they are only missing out on the race fee, whereas those had to travel had incurred much bigger expenses and had more to lose.
I'm local-ish: far enough that a hotel is needed, close enough to avoid airfare. And I went into W&D with the thought that if the temp dropped too far along with rain, I'd go straight to the party and skip the race. Or if I was miserable at any point during the race, I'd call it a day and hop a bus. It would still be a pretty big chunk of change gone, but nowhere near as much as someone traveling from far away.

Quote:
With Avengers, being that it's the first race that did NOT allow someone else to pick up a packet, I wondered if that had an effect on the large number of "no shows" too.
I wonder about that, too...

Quote:
Who knows how many of the people who showed up with a bib at wine and dine were truly running under their own bib?
IDK - with the weather we had, I'm not sure it was as much of a draw as it normally would be for "illegal" bib transfers, lol!

I run Disney!
WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015 ~ Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014, 2015 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013, 2014, 2015 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014, 2015 ~Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012, 2015 ~ Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012
PrincessV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 08:14 PM   #1672
walkdmc

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fozziepitysthefool View Post
Could you share which Balegas you use?
Hi! I am the poster you asked, lol! Balega Soft Tread No Show. Love them!
walkdmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 01:36 PM   #1673
runDisneyNut
Earning My Ears

This was my first runDisney event and even though the weather was horrid the trip and race were a BLAST! I'm hooked and SO glad that I signed up for Princess in February!

My time was much slower than expected but I was able to see the characters on the route that I really wanted to see other than Fantasia (who weren't out). I'm so glad that I did it and finished it! It's the first race I've ran since being diagnosed with some health issues which made it even sweeter!

Nov. 2014 CBR (Wine & Dine Half-Marathon) Feb. 2015 BC (Princess Half-Marathon)
runDisneyNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 12:36 PM   #1674
fozziepitysthefool
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkdmc View Post
Hi! I am the poster you asked, lol! Balega Soft Tread No Show. Love them!
Thanks to everyone for their responses!
Jul 1985 Off-Disney Dec 1999 Off Disney Apr 2007 ASMu Mar 2011 Off-Disney Oct 2011 ASMu Dec 2011 AKL/ASMu Aug 2012 ASMu Oct 2013 ASMu/CBR Dec 2014 ASSp LA/DL BWPPI Sept 2015 BCR Nov 2015 DL Paris 2016

fozziepitysthefool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 12:41 PM   #1675
BuckeyeMark
Mouseketeer

Question: I've done several runs where there is an official photographer. You get an email right after the race (of course) selling photos. After a few weeks go by you get another email with DISCOUNTED photos. So ... am wondering if I wait a little will I get an email with discounted W & D photos?
Old 11-30-2014, 07:20 AM   #1676
momto3gr8boys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeMark View Post
Question: I've done several runs where there is an official photographer. You get an email right after the race (of course) selling photos. After a few weeks go by you get another email with DISCOUNTED photos. So ... am wondering if I wait a little will I get an email with discounted W & D photos?
I do a ton of races with marathonfoto and they always send an email within a week. This time I never got the email. I found my pictures on my own. And for a while now their discount price hasn't been a great deal. It's usually a discount on the second photo after buying the first at full price. The download all option still usually ends up being the best deal if you want more than one or two pictures.

momto3gr8boys is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: