Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2011, 02:36 PM   #1
NYEmomma
DIS Veteran

Am I going to regret missing MSEP?

We'll be in MK for our "late" (DD is 2, we'll be in early & out early every other day) evening on my father's birthday and want to do something special for him. They have MSEP & Wishes that night so originally the plan was to do the Wishes Dessert Party. My dad's all for it.

The more I thought about it though, the more bummed I got about having to miss MSEP for it. I don't care about me, but this will be DD's and SIL's first trip to Disney & we won't be doing any other parades because they will be taking place when we're back at POFQ napping.

I thought to look for an ADR at one of the restaurants that are on the parade route & ordering dad a fancy birthday cake instead of the Dessert Party but can't find an ADR for a party of 7 to save my life.

So my question is -- will I really regret missing MSEP? Are there any other scenarios that you can think of that would allow us (or maybe just DD, my brother & SIL) to see MSEP but still do something nice/special for my father?

We're not frequent WDW vacationers... just don't have that kind of money. We're looking at making one more trip in ~4 years and then probably focusing our vacation savings on other locales as the kids get older.

8/82 off-site :: 12/88 off-site :: 2/93 POFQ :: 12/98 off-site :: 10/02 POFQ :: 10/11 POFQ :: waiting for 3/15 to get here!
NYEmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:41 PM   #2
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Speaking just for our party-

I would consider that there are many, many places to see Wishes from a vantage point as good or better than the Dessert Party.

And, seeing the parade up-close far outweighs the option of sitting and indulging in overpriced sugary desserts.

Grab an ADR for another family restaurant to celebrate the birthday on that day or other day during the trip.
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-18-2011, 02:44 PM   #3
PIRATEGIRL007
DIS Cast Member
OMG! I am about to jump up and down!
real technical words, aren't they!

While MSEP brings fond childhood memories for many alot of newer visitors and kids don't get as much out of it. Your DD won't recognized many of the charecters or what the floats are supposed to represent. It's neat but I wouldn't change plans to celebrate you dad's bday to see it and I don't think you will feel you missed out on alot by missing it.

Your options may be limited for any ADR"s during that time but you could also check the monorail hotels for some good options for dinner. O'hana is also hard to get but great for meat eaters and Whispering Canyon Cafe has some good food, not too expensive and it's alot of fun. If you eat at the Poly (Kona Cafe is also excellent if you can't get O'hana) viewing the fireworks from the beach is a great relaxing expeirence that your dad may enjoy just as much as viewing it with 30K of his closest new MK friends.
PIRATEGIRL007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:48 PM   #4
NYEmomma
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the input, Robo.

One of the appealing parts of the Dessert Party, aside from the treats for dad's birthday, is that it's a low-key location for watching the fireworks with DD. She just doesn't have the patience to have to sit in one spot for 45-60 minutes prior to the parade/fireworks so that we can have a good view when it finally happens. With the Dessert Party, she has the ability to do something while we're waiting & the area is enclosed so she can have a bit of freedom w/o me worrying about losing her in a crowd.

I *JUST* searched for reservations again after posting this & saw one for LTT at 7:25 p.m. Parade starts at 8:00, Wishes at 9:00... but I know nothing about LTT. I snatched up the ADR, but can anyone comment on its location in terms of viewing the parade and Wishes?

ETA: missed your reply, Pirategrl, sorry! If we were to eat at one of the nearby resorts, would you be able to hear the music from the show? I doubt you'd be able to see the Tinkerbell flyover (DD's favorite character) or any of the other features like that, right?

8/82 off-site :: 12/88 off-site :: 2/93 POFQ :: 12/98 off-site :: 10/02 POFQ :: 10/11 POFQ :: waiting for 3/15 to get here!
Old 08-18-2011, 02:49 PM   #5
Robo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEmomma View Post
I *JUST* searched for reservations again after posting this & saw one for LTT at 7:25 p.m. Parade starts at 8:00, Wishes at 9:00... but I know nothing about LTT. I snatched up the ADR, but can anyone comment on its location in terms of viewing the parade and Wishes?
You can't see the parade from LTT.

You'd have to get up, leave your meal, and go outside.

There are no TS restaurants in MK with a good view of Wishes.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:52 PM   #6
cleophus12
DIS Veteran

I would think the front porch of LTT would be a good place for parade watching, but I don't think you will be through with dinner in time to watch. You will need to go somewhere else to see Wishes. Oops! Just read the PP who said you can't watch from LTT. Sorry.
cleophus12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 03:05 PM   #7
Robo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
You can't see the parade from LTT.

You'd have to get up, leave your meal, and go outside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleophus12 View Post
I would think the front porch of LTT would be a good place for parade watching...

Oops! Just read the PP who said you can't watch from LTT. Sorry.
You CAN see the parade from the front porch of LTT.
My comment was that you can't see the parade from INSIDE the LTT.

As to whether:

A- You will be allowed to leave your table and meal for the duration of the parade (which will reach LTT by about 8:15PM, and run until about 8:30-ish)
then return to finish dining...

B- You will be able to find a clear parade-viewing spot on the LTT porch (or nearby) at the time the parade reaches that area...

on the night you are there is unknown.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:13 PM   #8
NYEmomma
DIS Veteran

Ho hum, what to do.... what to do...

I think I need to just buck up and accept the fact that we CAN'T do and see everything in just one trip. DH & I are commando-style vacationers but this will be the first time we've taken a vacation with DD. We'll also be traveling with my parents, brother & SIL so having to accommodate so many people will slow us down too.

I just *so* want this vacation to be absolutely perfect for DD.

From the sounds of it, I think the best thing would be to just say, "MSEP isn't happening" and move on & try not to think about what we'll be missing. Then I just need to decide whether to stick to our plan of Dessert Party or keep my ADR @ LTT and get dad a birthday cake and research places for viewing Wishes.

I'm so wishy-washy on the Dessert Party. At first it sounded awesome... but now it's just sounding expensive and a little too fancy for our dessert-eating style.

Thanks so much for the help, everyone!

Old 08-18-2011, 03:27 PM   #9
Robo

Quote:
places for viewing Wishes...
If you mean from inside MK-

Below is a rough estimate of the Fireworks viewing spots
based on other posters' info on the boards and personal experience.

Old 08-18-2011, 03:29 PM   #10
Robo

Quote:
just say, "MSEP isn't happening" and move on & try not to think about what we'll be missing.
You can usually wait until much later to grab a viewing spot for MSEP if you choose to see it from deep in Frontierland (past Country Bears.)

A look at the Parade Route
Disney's (MS) Electrical Parade and the 3 O'Clock Parade both start near the Firehouse and exit near Splash Mtn.
MVMCP and MNSSHP Parades both start near Spalsh Mtn. and exit near the Firehouse.

Less crowded than on Main Street, but still spectacular viewing can be found near the Hall of Presidents,
or deep into Frontierland, past the Country Bears.

Old 08-18-2011, 03:34 PM   #11
Aunt Michelle
There is no television in your room

OP - one of the problems I see with keeping your ADR at LTT is that you will hear, your DD will hear, MSEP parade music. Others in LTT will leave their tables to view MSEP. It will be difficult to convince your DD that she's not missing something exciting and wonderful at that point.

What could be a better birthday celebration for your Dad than MSEP with his daughter and granddaughter?

Not sure if you are aware that you can get great b-day cake options on property - you could celebrate out by the pool, etc. See this cake thread: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2413710

Have a great time!

************************************************** ******************************
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked. "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here." ~Lewis Carroll
Aunt Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 05:55 PM   #12
DisneyLoverUSA
DIS Veteran

You Tube

If you do think you are going to miss it you can see both MSEP & Wishes IN FULL on You Tube. I watched them already just in case we don't stay for them I will have seen them.
DisneyLoverUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:22 PM   #13
NYEmomma
DIS Veteran

Robo -- Thanks so much for those photos, they're SUPER helpful!! I really appreciate all the informative input.

Aunt Michelle -- You know, I completely forgot about being able to have cakes delivered to our resort. We're planning on midday breaks for everyone so it would be a piece of cake (lol) to pick-up the cake and surprise it with him in the afternoon before heading back to MK. We're doing Boma for brunch so we'll be having a snack-y type lunch. So cake in the afternoon would be great.

DisneyLover -- I haven't checked out the MSEP or Wishes youtube videos yet but every evening for a couple of months now, right before bed time, DD & I watch a youtube video of a different WDW ride (to try to get her a little accustomed to everything... she gets easily overwhelmed and fearful of new things). I'll have to check them out.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: