Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2013, 08:54 PM   #1
kesnewkins
Earning My Ears

Gift cards to Disney

Hi, we are vacationing in June. I was thinking about buying the kids (DS 11, DD 11, DD 4) All their own personal gift cards to buy souvenirs.

15 days vacation (Disney parks and water, and cruise,)

My question what is, what is a good amount for each of them to get on the gift card? The goal is to give it to them and when they run out there wont be any added. Any suggestions
kesnewkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:18 PM   #2
hilljim
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesnewkins View Post
Hi, we are vacationing in June. I was thinking about buying the kids (DS 11, DD 11, DD 4) All their own personal gift cards to buy souvenirs.

15 days vacation (Disney parks and water, and cruise,)

My question what is, what is a good amount for each of them to get on the gift card? The goal is to give it to them and when they run out there wont be any added. Any suggestions
I'd split it between Cruise and parks. You'll need less on the cruise as a lot of stuff is included... Are you a one souvenir per person family? $200 a kid, get them in $25 allotments and dole them out over the two weeks...that way if they loose it you are not out. another fun thing is go get some Disney dollars... This might work for the younger one... they are fun and collectable and spend like cash in park and on cruise.
hilljim is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-08-2013, 10:55 PM   #3
kesnewkins
Earning My Ears

I never heard of Disney dollars. Enlighten me please.

The twins normally get two to three, something they make, to wear, and a "what are you thinking???" But that's why we want to give them a card with a limit so they can figgure their priorities.
kesnewkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:46 AM   #4
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

They only accept your room key for making purchases on the cruise. So giving the kids gift cards or Disney Dollars for that part of your trip won't work very well. They would just have to give them back to you so that the funds can be placed on your onboard account.

The amount that you choose to give each child is up to you. If you're going to make them pay for every Mickey Bar or specialty beverage then you'll want them to have more money than if you only want to them to cover one or two souvenirs. You can get any amount you choose on the gift cards.

Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:34 AM   #5
honkytonkmama
Mouseketeer

I have been getting packs of gift cards at kroger. They are $45 for the pack, split in to 3 $15 gift cards. I think this will be easier to dole out to the kids.
Aug 2015 - POR 7 days
https://www.facebook.com/lhammupanduptravel
honkytonkmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:43 AM   #6
goofyredraider
DIS Veteran

My kids earn and save their vacation $$ all year in prep for vacation now. I give them a little bit more to top it off. They have prepaid debit cards through our bank that their $$ goes into-
They have $150 for this vacation

DS(8) DS (11)DD (12)

POR July 2011, POR May 2012, BC June 2012 ; POFQ, AKL, & BC June 2013 (23 night stay!!); POR December 2013,
ASMo for Princess Half Marathon- February 2014
POP/AKL - June 2014; Disney Dream June 2014;
Disneyland - DLH July 2014;
**Coming soon*** ASMu October 2014
goofyredraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:20 PM   #7
TxDisneyMomma
Earning My Ears

Question Disney Dollars??

How do you get them? I would love to start getting them for my DD and DS for when we go to Disney.
TxDisneyMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:27 PM   #8
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxDisneyMomma View Post
How do you get them? I would love to start getting them for my DD and DS for when we go to Disney.
According to the Disney Website:
Quote:

Disney Dollars can be purchased or exchanged for their equal value in United States currency at the following Walt Disney World Resort locations:

Guest Relations at Disney theme parks and water parks
Your Disney Resort hotel Front Desk
Your Disney Resort hotel concierge

Disney Dollar credit card purchases are limited to US $50 per day.

About Disney Dollars

Disney Dollars are the official currency of Walt Disney World Resort, the Disneyland Resort and Disney Store locations in the United States—including Puerto Rico. They are available for purchase in 3 denominations—$1, $5 and $10—each with unique Disney Character portraits.

For more information about Disney Dollars, please call (407) W-DISNEY or (407) 934-7639. Guests under 18 years of age must have parent or guardian permission to call.

Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: