Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2010, 02:31 PM   #1
AimeeMichele
Mouseketeer

Question Whispering Canyon Cafe or Ohana's?

I'm looking for a restaurant that's close to our hotel (we're staying at the Grand Floridian) and everyone would enjoy. The reservation will be on a Friday night (not sure whether or not that makes a difference) and will be for myself (31), my mom, my brother (33) and his 2 boys/my nephews (8 & 4).

I've read some great things about both of these places and then I've read some not so great things about them as well. Right now, we're slated to eat at Narcossee's that night, but we are having dinner there on Wednesday so I wanted to switch it up. I guess Citrico's would be an option as well, but when I looked at their menu I didn't think it had great options for the boys.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:29 PM   #2
Nadjalu
DIS Veteran

We love both restaurants. THey are very different.
Food is great at both....
But if you want to go somewhere unique for the boys Whispering Canyon is your choice.

They are loud and obnoxious at that place. LOL

The servers throw straws at you, if you drink to much they bring you out a gallon jug to drink, if you need ketchup they stand at your table and screem for someone to bring ketchup (then if you have a bottle at your table you have to run it over to them....the kids love to do this).
They also have "stick pony rides" around the restuarant. Basically "rough" stuff boys like.

But you can't go wrong with either choice.
Register to remove

Old 06-09-2010, 05:36 PM   #3
willowsnn3
Tagless not by choice but by circumstance

Quote:
Originally Posted by AimeeMichele View Post
I'm looking for a restaurant that's close to our hotel (we're staying at the Grand Floridian) and everyone would enjoy. The reservation will be on a Friday night (not sure whether or not that makes a difference) and will be for myself (31), my mom, my brother (33) and his 2 boys/my nephews (8 & 4).

I've read some great things about both of these places and then I've read some not so great things about them as well. Right now, we're slated to eat at Narcossee's that night, but we are having dinner there on Wednesday so I wanted to switch it up. I guess Citrico's would be an option as well, but when I looked at their menu I didn't think it had great options for the boys.
Been to Whispering Canyon twice & loved it both times. Been to O'hanas once & was so disappointed. The food wasn't very good at all & even tho most on the boards rave about their dessert, ours was kinda disgusting looking. Kinda runny & soggy.
willowsnn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:40 PM   #4
DLBDS
Loves that Sweetened Condensed Milk

'Ohana is served family style. WCC is a menu. It's a toss up for me. Neither one really impressed but there are times when you really don't wanna deal with the antics at WCC. Just sayin'. We're giving 'Ohana another try in Oct. It'll be 4 years by then since our first visit there.
May 2011 Disney Dream (9674) / Wilderness Lodge (4034 Woods View)
October 2010
Disney Wonder (6598)/Wilderness Lodge (7107 Club Level)/Animal KingdomLodge (4311 Club Level)
February 2009 Port Orleans Riverside (2404 Alligator Bayou) May 2009 Hard Rock Hotel/Swan/DIS Podcast Cruise (Disney Wonder) (6592)
September 2008 Contemporary Resort (5150 Garden Wing)
February 2007 Wilderness Lodge (7044 Club Level) June 2007 Hawthorn Suites (Off Property) October 2007 Wilderness Lodge (7048 Club Level)
Nov/Dec 2006 - Wilderness Lodge (3167 Courtyard)
DLBDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:53 PM   #5
3prettyprincesses
"These pretzels are making me thirsty!"

Ugh, we didn't care for WCC at all. And that's after trying it 3 times. Super slow service, greasy blah food and the entertainment was just ok.

Ohana is one of our favorite restaurants as we really love the Polynesian feel there. Food is delish and the dessert it our favorite in all of Disney.

If I had to choose, I'd go with Ohana everytime. We really didn't care for WCC and have zero desire to return. Of course that's just my opinion and if the menu appeals to you and you like the atmosphere, then go for it.

ETA: Just saw that you're staying at the GF. Totally go to Ohana then. The walk from the GF to the Poly is very pleasant and lit with torches. We love doing this!
Old 06-09-2010, 07:12 PM   #6
Mommytwotwins
Mouseketeer

For me Ohanas beats WCC by a landslide! But the kids did like the stick horse races and hokey pokey at WCC. We did not care for the food or the milkshakes at all

1997 May/June off Property
2009 June POR
2010 August CB
2011 October Floridays/POP
2012 ????
Mommytwotwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:00 PM   #7
JMD
DIS Veteran

Both are very good, but I prefer Ohana.
JMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:06 PM   #8
A_Princess'_Daddy
DIS Veteran

WCC is the only place in WDW that I simply will not return to on any future trip. I know lots of people love it, but I thought it was just too atrociously bad to warrant another try.

Ohana was one of our favorites and we loved the meal, the entertainment, the service, and the whole experience. Lots of people report hit or miss experiences at Ohana, but for us it was a grand slam.

But, remember that you'll find somebody with the exact opposite opinion of me, so ultimately you should go with your gut and choose the place that appeals most to you! And have fun!
Old 06-09-2010, 10:33 PM   #9
AimeeMichele
Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone! Of course, I now tried to get the 'Ohana reservation and they are all sold out, so I went with Kona Cafe for dinner; their menu looks good and the boys can pick off of my plate if they aren't too keen on the kids menu. I didn't even think about walking from the GF to the Poly and the tikki torches; sadly that's what really sold it to me, so thank you for pointing that out!

I'll keep an eye out for a ressie at 'Ohana to open back up! I was torn between the atmosphere at WCC which I thought the boys would like vs. the food at 'Ohana (I've never been and it looked good to me).
Old 06-09-2010, 10:43 PM   #10
colinsdad
DIS Veteran

From the pure standpoint of being close to your hotel, obviously Ohana is a better choice.

If you're heading to WCC, you either have to either switch buses going resort to resort, take the boat over to the Wilderness Lodge from MK Launch (this is what I'd do) or take a taxi.

So if heading over to WCC, you have to ask yourself is the extra effort worth it?

My son and I, (he was 4 when we went), loved WCC. But to be perfectly honest in my reply, we were staying at the WL which took the travel out of our choice to dine here. We probably would have done Chef Mickey's or 1900 PF if we were at the GF. But getting back to WCC, he participated in all the pony races and ketchup antics, had a great time and was very happy, which made me happy.

The food at WCC was better than average (I had the skillet with chicken & ribs and sheriff shake, and he had a burger and shake). This type of fare is more appealing than Ohana's for both me and my son. In fact, based on the menu at Ohana, I have made a concious choice not to do dinner there even though it gets great reviews.

We did do the Lilo and Stitch breakfast at Ohana and can say I do love the theming of the restaurant.
My Disney Life Timeline - '73 CR 1st trip 3y/o, '74 Poly, '75 CR, '76 Disneyland, '77-80 (Offsite), '83 DWV, '85 '89 '91 (offsite), May '92 FWR, Mar '97 (BlueTree), Nov '97 (Westgate Lakes), Dec '98 Xmas @ OKW, Jan '00 Disneyland Paris, Sept '01 Trip Cancelled due to 9/11 God Bless America!, Oct '01 Disneyland, Oct '02 (Marriott Grande Vista), Nov '03 (Mystic Dunes), Sept '04 (Sheraton Vistana), May '05 All Star Sports, Nov '05 Disney's HHI, Jan '06 OKW, Oct '06 (Marriott Cypress Harbor), Oct '07 POP, Sept '08 BWV, May '09 VWL, Aug '09 BCV, Aug '10 (Marriott Sabal Palms), Mar '12 (Swan), Oct '13 (Marriott Grande Vista)
colinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:48 PM   #11
3prettyprincesses

Quote:
Thanks everyone! Of course, I now tried to get the 'Ohana reservation and they are all sold out, so I went with Kona Cafe for dinner; their menu looks good and the boys can pick off of my plate if they aren't too keen on the kids menu. I didn't even think about walking from the GF to the Poly and the tikki torches; sadly that's what really sold it to me, so thank you for pointing that out!

I'll keep an eye out for a ressie at 'Ohana to open back up! I was torn between the atmosphere at WCC which I thought the boys would like vs. the food at 'Ohana (I've never been and it looked good to me).
Good choice! Kona is also very good, their bread with macadamia nut butter is heavenly. And, I've read reports of people being able to order the Ohana bread pudding dessert at Kona!

Also, while walking to the Poly from the GF, there are pavement stones with wedding dates or messages printed on them. My 3 DD's loved reading them while we walked. Really take the time to enjoy the stroll, it's one of our favorite walks to do while at Disney.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:05 PM   #12
goofy4prez
DIS Dads Club Member #484
I hate the Steelers & Ravens like a mother loves a child!!!!

I can't pick between the two of them because I enjoy them both. I almost didn't go to either of these places because of the wide range of opinions about WCC and Ohana's. They both have a fun atmosphere, but be warned they are also loud.

As a meat lover, I love Ohana with all the meat dishes on skewers. I love the marinated steak, the pork loin, and the turkey. I prefer to pass on the rabbit food and this place was non stop meat; definately a favorite for this "manly appetite.

The WCC also satisfies my craving for foods belonging to the meat group. This place has one of my favorite steaks in WDW with their grilled ribeye (call me delusional but I like it much better than Le'Celliers steaks). I also enjoy the all you can eat Canyon Skillet with pork ribs, roasted chicken, and corn on the cob ( one of the veggies I do love). And of course the nutrional pyramid would not be complete without the all you can drink milk shakes.

Sorry if this didn't help, I just can't pick between the two. I just make ADR's for both when I go back.

Achieved (6-10-12) and maintaining weight lost goal of 115 LBS.From 267 lbs to 152 lbs
goofy4prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:25 AM   #13
AimeeMichele
Mouseketeer

It's official, I'm a total flip flopper!

I think I'm going to find a way to squeeze in WCC! I do think the boys would get a kick out of it there. Now I have to take the boat to the MK and then to the WL? For some reason I thought I could take the boat right from the GF to the WL? Is the only boat transport from the GF to the MK? Call me clueless!
Old 06-10-2010, 12:31 PM   #14
3prettyprincesses

Quote:
I think I'm going to find a way to squeeze in WCC! I do think the boys would get a kick out of it there. Now I have to take the boat to the MK and then to the WL? For some reason I thought I could take the boat right from the GF to the WL? Is the only boat transport from the GF to the MK? Call me clueless!
When we stayed at the GF and went to WCC, we took the monorail to MK and the boat to WL. It took awhile to get there and then after dinner took us over an hour to get back to the GF. Will you have a car while at Disney? If so, I'd just drive as it will be much quicker. Or take a cab.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:10 PM   #15
AimeeMichele
Mouseketeer

No car; we're using a car service to go to/from the airport. Maybe we'll do WCC next time. We are already going to the Hoop Dee Doo review one night and the food looks like it's very similar. Thank you!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: