Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2013, 04:09 PM   #1
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02
The inside of the Tangled clothes are not that pretty

How much for this ?

I have a one of a kind item to sell and don't know where to start the price. The item is a Reward Poster from 1962 for a mail truck robbery that took place in Plymouth MA that netted the thieves 1.5 million dollars in small bills and the money was never found.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plymouth_Mail_Robbery

It is in good condition and is framed nicely. I cannot find anything like it online for sale or online in general. I know the reward was only offered for a very short time and I don't know how many survived. I am thinking at least a couple hundred dollars. I see replica's of other posters going for anywhere from $10 to $35 dollars but nothing original. There have been many stories on this robbery in MA and it was included in a history book about the Cape.

I am thinking maybe to call an auction place on the Cape or in Boston since the money was being delivered to Boston ??

Anyone have a clue ? If I don't sell, I may take it with me when I move but I consider it local history and would love to sell it to someone who lives in MA and likes stuff like this.

Thanks !
Old 02-27-2013, 04:59 PM   #2
Handbag Lady
Disneyland Bride 2000
If you can't say somethng nice, come sit next to me
Has the wherewithall to save bakery goods from earthquakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrxtc View Post
I have a one of a kind item to sell and don't know where to start the price. The item is a Reward Poster from 1962 for a mail truck robbery that took place in Plymouth MA that netted the thieves 1.5 million dollars in small bills and the money was never found.

It is in good condition and is framed nicely. I cannot find anything like it online for sale or online in general. I know the reward was only offered for a very short time and I don't know how many survived. I am thinking at least a couple hundred dollars. I see replica's of other posters going for anywhere from $10 to $35 dollars but nothing original. There have been many stories on this robbery in MA and it was included in a history book about the Cape.

I am thinking maybe to call an auction place on the Cape or in Boston since the money was being delivered to Boston ??

Anyone have a clue ? If I don't sell, I may take it with me when I move but I consider it local history and would love to sell it to someone who lives in MA and likes stuff like this.

Thanks !

I don't know but I would imagine it would need to be sold somewhere local. I can't see anything like the being worth much to anyone not knowing the story well. At the least, maybe a museum there would want it?
Handbag Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-27-2013, 05:03 PM   #3
dakcp2001
Am I wrong to want a cashier and bagger?
Chicken wings are his crack

I think a historian from Mass or Boston would be interested. Your issue will not be the price, but more so finding the right buyer. I really think someone would want it, but it will be hard to find that person.
dakcp2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:05 PM   #4
bedogged
Choose parents that aged well

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrxtc View Post

Thanks !
It is an interesting piece. I would think that another factor regarding value would be whether or not it is mounted on acid free paper.
bedogged is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:55 PM   #5
okeydokey
Frosty the Snowman scared me as a child
It will always be beautiful no matter what it looks like naked

1962 doesn't sound so old. Not sure it would get $200.
okeydokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:58 PM   #6
lizabu
DIS Veteran

Unless you find someone who is interested in that specific crime it's probably worthless.
lizabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:02 PM   #7
Buckalew11
2013 1/2 Marathon Finisher!!! Woohoo!!

I think I'd find some type of local museum to donate it to if they are interested. I have a few LBI historical pieces from years ago that I'll probably donate to the museum there.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Shining at the end of everyday
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
And tomorrow is just a dream away
Buckalew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:15 PM   #8
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02
The inside of the Tangled clothes are not that pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedogged View Post
It is an interesting piece. I would think that another factor regarding value would be whether or not it is mounted on acid free paper.
It is on acid free matboard. The only thing holding it in there is clear photo corners. No tape or anything sticky touching the poster. The poster is not touching the glass either.

I know it's not that old but's 50 years old already. I know someone else will think it's cool like I did when I found it in my house 10 years ago.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:37 PM   #9
scrapquitler
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckalew11 View Post
I think I'd find some type of local museum to donate it to if they are interested. I have a few LBI historical pieces from years ago that I'll probably donate to the museum there.
This is kind of what I was thinking. Local Historical Society, maybe.
scrapquitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:39 PM   #10
MariDisney
Learned a difficult lesson about eating chocolate in the dark!
Had to admit to eating bird poo to get what she wanted
Fully open=cool. Fully closed=cool. Half way=no can do

Not exactly the same, but I found a site with wanted posters from the Old West. Looks like this site is selling them 2 for $25 except for Jesse James ones specifically. My guess that yours might be worth $10-$20 or so to a local collector. Just a wild guess, though.

http://www.thelastbestwest.com/authe...ed_posters.htm

I'm editing to say I think I misread that site and they are replicas.
Mari...A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow is Just a Dream Away...7/98 Carribean Beach ... 1/03 All Star Movies ...9/03 All Star Music ... 6/04 Port Orleans Riverside Honeymoon ... 1/05 Port Orleans French Quarter ... 1/06 Carribean Beach ...9/06 Pop Century ... 8/07 Port Orleans Riverside...9/08 Port Orleans French Quarter...9/09 Coronado Springs...9/11 Port Orleans Riverside
MariDisney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:05 AM   #11
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

I'd leave it in the house for the next owner.

chloelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:00 AM   #12
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Channeling "Pawn Stars":

Do you know it's original? How do you know?

Sorry, I just don't see much of an interest in it.
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:18 AM   #13
Alesia
DIS Veteran

Don't get your hopes up. It's in pretty rough condition and it's not that old. Wanted posters for unsolved crimes are generally much less valuable than those for specific people. It has a pretty limited geographical appeal, too.

Remember, the "value" isn't in the item itself, but in the market. You might get lucky and find someone who really wants this particular poster and is willing to pay a couple of hundred bucks for it, but most likely the frame is worth more than the poster.

Alesia is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: