Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2012, 09:43 AM   #1
wundermommy76
Mouseketeer

Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party & the week of Thanksgiving

We haven't even left for our WDW vaca yet, but we are already thinking ahead to next years trip . Last year we were there for Halloween (had a great time) and this year late Sept. We were thinking of going next year for Thanksgiving. Hoping to leave the wednesday right before Thanksgiving and come home the following wednesday or thursday. So, with that said, how is that week with crowds? Someone told me Thanksgiving weekend is very crowded. I can deal with crowds, but she made it seem like July/August crowded.....that's part of the reason why we like to go in fall - lesser crowds.

Also, How is the Mickey's Very Merry Chirstmas Party? We went to MNSSHP last year and while it was fun, we didn't want to spend the extra $$ for it this year. But if we go later in the fall we were thinking of trying out the Christmas party. Worth the $$?? What is the party like?

Thank you for any info!!!!!!!

2011-FW 2012-POP 2013-POFQ 2014-POP again!
wundermommy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:02 AM   #2
Surr
Mouseketeer

We have gone the last three years during this time, Thursday to Thursday/Thanksgiving. The Thursday and Friday before the holiday the parks had very little crowd. We went to MK on Friday and stayed for the MVMCP. We were at MK for rope drop, and all attractions we tried were walk on until afternoon. The park didn't start getting crowed until after 4pm, when the party tickets were valid. The parties each year were fairly crowded.

Crowds were noticeably heavier on Saturday, and more so each day. By Tuesday and Wednesday I would say it was as crowded as peak days during the summer.
Surr is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-28-2012, 10:07 AM   #3
Surr
Mouseketeer

One other consideration, the Wednesday before Thanksgiving is considered one of the busiest travel days of the year, so driving or flying on Wednesday could be challenging. We traveled on Thanksgiving day and had smooth sailing as far as traffic goes. The only issue we had was finding places open to stop for food and fuel. (We were driving to North Carolina.) Many gas stations and most restaurants outside of Orlando area were closed.
Surr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:12 PM   #4
laughinplace199
AKA Shrimpo or Flamingo Legs

We were there this past Thanksgiving. We arrived the Monday before and left the Monday after. The days leading up to Thanksgiving were very crowded. Thanksgiving and the day after were very, very crowded. I believe most days were a 9 or 10 on the crowd calendar.

However, if you can be up early to be at the parks when they open and you use FP well, you should be fine. We thought the crowds were very manageable.

Sat was crowded too, but a little better. Sunday was awesome. We went to MK and walked on to everything. We also went to MVMCP that night and it was not crowded at all!

We didn't do the Xmas shows at the party. We mostly did it for the parade and to ride the rides without long lines.

We would definitely do Thanksgiving and MVMCP again if we could.

laughinplace199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:50 PM   #5
jack hannah bananah
DIS Veteran

Yes it is crowded - but manageable. The big difference between Thanksgiving crowds and summer crowds is the heat.... Much more enjoyable.

Just manage your fast passes well and get there early. We went that weekend a couple years ago with 21 people, and we were able to ride Toy Story Mania 3 times on the Friday after Thanksgiving and Soarin twice on the Sunday after Thanksgiving. And every other ride we wanted to ride.
We had a great time! The 21 people were mostly from my friend's family - not mine
jack hannah bananah is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: