Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2013, 05:28 PM   #16
AThrillingChase
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
Of course they had the right to complain! No one said they didn't! However the OP complained, and the situation was fixed. I would be bummed about getting a less desirable room location too, but the only fix for that is asking if a better location opens up. Not sure why anything else is necessary. Not every thing that goes wrong warrants compensation of some sort, which is what you seem to be saying.
I never said that. In that statement I was just agreeing with Buzznina that she should have gone to a manager at first. That is why I noted that room view is a different situation than when the room is actually just not usable. I didn't quote her because I was on an ipad which is probably why that was misread.
2012 - Tokyo Disney Sea
May 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside
November 2013 - first solo trip for Wine and Dine! Decided to explore new resorts: CB, YC, POLY
January 2014 - Animal Kingdom Lodge CL. Happy Birthday to me!
March/April 2014 - Coronado Springs/Wilderness Lodge
October 2014 - Beach Club for TOT 10-Miler! AKL/CR for Princess Half Marathon!
AThrillingChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:30 PM   #17
AThrillingChase
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
And that's the problem. You simply cannot call the actual front desk. When a manager came on the line, it was a manager at the call center. Unless they called you back, in which case it could have been a manager on call at the resort. But obviously it wasn't that since the POR people didn't know the name.

The actual Front Desk might not even be aware of this problem of the OP's.

The call center people aren't at the resort, might not have been there ever, might not have stayed at a hotel before, and therefore doesn't necessarily KNOW that a person might need Bell Services. Obviously Housekeeping must have informed the actual Front Desk, but who knows what was communicated at that point. It's best if the OP goes and actually talks to someone. To make sure they are aware that there is a problem with that room.

Because the smell of a dirty diaper, when no dirty diaper is present, probably means a plumbinh problem, and that's not good at all.
Correct. Yes I called the call center and they had an on-site manager call our room. I did not make it to the phone in time so the girl left the direct dial on a voicemail and told me it was direct.
2012 - Tokyo Disney Sea
November 2013 - first solo trip for Wine and Dine! Decided to explore new resorts: CB, YC, POLY
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-16-2013, 05:35 PM   #18
AThrillingChase
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzznina View Post
...The manager at CSR during one of our stays mentioned that always talk to a manger when you have something really wrong with your room.
This part I was just reasoning why it would have been appropriate to go to a manager right when it happened. My "disagreement" portion was mostly that she should have to ask for help moving. I think if they have a room issue on their part, it should be courtesy to offer it.
2012 - Tokyo Disney Sea
Old 08-16-2013, 05:41 PM   #19
bluejasmine
DIS Veteran

Happened to me at AKL! We paid for Arusha view & first room smelled like nasty diaper, called on phone lady got down right rude with me. Hung up on her & left the room to go to front desk, they moved me immediately, I even to,d them we could move our own luggage since we weren't there 10 mins!!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
ASMo 2003/2005, ASMu 2009,Pop 2006/2013, SSR 2008, Poly CL 2010/2011/2013, GF CL 2012, AKL 2011, CR 2011, BC CL 2012, POR 2005/2012, CBR 2011, DCL Fantasy 2012, Hilton DTD 2011(2x) Best Western DTD 2010/2012
bluejasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:43 PM   #20
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran

I have never had this happen to me but if I ever did this is what I would do:

Go immediately to front desk not a park or anywhere else tell them : " You've got a problem..( not me the guest...YOU this resort).."
Get a Mgr to go to the room & verify the situation
Get another room assignment & tell them we need bell services asap or take it there myself

If they don't "downgrade " the room ( ie I paid for ---- and they are now giving me -----) then problem solved

I don't get emotionally attached to a certain room Do I have my preferences? Of course, but life happens it wouldn't ruin my day
Old 08-17-2013, 11:48 PM   #21
cassie
I did run free in the 70's
Connecticut Yankee
desperately wants to be like the others

Don'tcha think mousekeeping would sense the smell and take the room out of service? Maybe needs more thorough cleaning?
Old 08-18-2013, 12:01 AM   #22
jcjen519
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AThrillingChase View Post
I actually disagree with saying the front desk doesn't know if you want help moving, and that they moved you so they fixed it.

If a room smelled THAT bad it was not from one dirty diaper. That is a big issue, especially at around $200 a night. My first question would be how in the world did mousekeeping not notice this after they cleaned it before you arrived? (unless the room sat for days and something was growing in there - doubtful). That is a failure on the resorts part. It is a failure that then resulted in you spending your vacation time fixing it. And it is not usually a quick walk to the lobby in POR. Also, the front desk has a map, and they can see how far away the room is from the first. It seems common sense to ask if you need help moving when it was their fault. It is a courtesy. Bottom line, if it is something the resort failed on (not that you didn't like the view, but that their room was not in shape for guests), you have every right to complain to a manager.

I had a bad experience at POR. It started with taking over an hour and a half to check-in due to a computer crash, messing up our early Akershus ADR. Then there was the 3+ hours spent over the course of 3 days in the lobby trying to fix the charging on our kttw cards that no one could figure out but kept telling me it was fixed before finally telling me they were cancelling our whole reservation and rebooking us - read: our tickets would not work until they were done rebooking. Then mousekeeping just didn't come to our rooms (we had 2, separate ressies but connected). And that was before they rebooked us so no it wasn't due to that. I'd finally had enough, called the actual front desk for a manager, and one came on to say she was covering a meal for us. I was thrilled until I went to the front desk later to confirm and thank them for the offer only to be told that no manager by that name works at POR. I'd never once complained to a hotel manager prior to this, but it was like the whole resort had gone fruit loops!

2015October 8 days poly cl tpvJune 6 days akv- club level March- 9 days Boardwalk villas spring break January GF RPC and disney dream 2014: December: YC CL, 12/12 dream concierge, 10 days AKV-CL October 3 days Grand Floridian Halloween Party TripJuly: 4 days boardwalk villas/Boardwalk Inn club level June -1 day OKW, 8 days GF RPC May - 4 days GF RPC march-April - 10 days Poly cl/ 2013: Bay Lake Tower TPV, fantasy concierge, bc cl, poly cl (2x), gf sl, vero beach resort 2012 - Vero beach resort, OKW, Poly cl 2011 - Disney Dream and AKV- Kidani (our son's first disney trip) 2010 Disney's Vero Beach Resort 2009 Disney's Vero Beach Resort (our son's first vacation)
Husband, myself and 5 year old son
jcjen519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:07 AM   #23
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassie View Post
Don'tcha think mousekeeping would sense the smell and take the room out of service? Maybe needs more thorough cleaning?
not necessarily perhaps between the time it was cleaned and the OP got there a plumbing problem could have occurred
Old 08-19-2013, 07:37 AM   #24
catrax
Mouseketeer

Update...

I really appreciate the input here! More than anything, I was just doing a little healthy venting. Still, as I pass my original room, I feel a little sad about that last opportunity to be spoiled!

Here's what I did to ease the pain. I considered speaking with the manager about my yucky room. With 5 people to move (3 of them children) and it being 11pm at the end of a long travel day, they really should have offered some assistance in moving my luggage. All things considered, though, it was resolved Ina reasonable amount of time. And, while mousekeeping should have noticed the smell, the front desk staff was very kind and helpful in person. So, instead of complaining, I decided to speak to the manager about the kind front desk staff and hopefully earn her some extra credit!
Old 08-19-2013, 07:57 AM   #25
FigmentChick
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by catrax View Post
I really appreciate the input here! More than anything, I was just doing a little healthy venting. Still, as I pass my original room, I feel a little sad about that last opportunity to be spoiled!

Here's what I did to ease the pain. I considered speaking with the manager about my yucky room. With 5 people to move (3 of them children) and it being 11pm at the end of a long travel day, they really should have offered some assistance in moving my luggage. All things considered, though, it was resolved Ina reasonable amount of time. And, while mousekeeping should have noticed the smell, the front desk staff was very kind and helpful in person. So, instead of complaining, I decided to speak to the manager about the kind front desk staff and hopefully earn her some extra credit!
Awesome way to handle it! I was a front desk manager of an upscale hotel awhile back and I had a bad experience at POR in 2011. I did have a face-to-face with a manager in the lobby as well as speak to a manager via phone (yes, I know she was not on property). My issues STILL weren't resolved. Given that the issues weren't life-threatening and didn't harm anyone, I manned-up and wrote a letter when I got home (typed, signed and mailed). I got exactly the response I was looking for from Guest Services. Was it the ideal solution? Absolutely not. But I feel that the issues would be addressed for future guests and, hopefully, I won't have the same issues when I visit this year.

Mar 2006 & Oct 2007 - off-site
Oct 2009 & Oct 2011 - POR, Oct 2013 - OKW
FigmentChick is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: