Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California) > Disneyland Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2013, 09:10 PM   #46
DisneyMarvelStarWars
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dot2Vegas View Post

I'm always too busy to be worrying about others. I often think to myself how fortunate we are to have everyone in our family healthy and able to stand in lines. I am certain that some people would much prefer to wait in line than have to use a GAC.

Exactly this. And no one should have to explain to other guests their reason for doing anything that doesn't concern them.

Walt Disney Family Museum Member
DisneyMarvelStarWars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:14 PM   #47
DisneylandFlower
Lovin' Disney 365 Days of the Year!

Not trying to sound rude or anything, but...
My mom has PTSD and has severe anxiety disorder. My brother has sensory processing disorder (and at times both have struggles being around large groups of people). They both can get totally overwhelmed by sounds, crowds, and close contact with people. We've NEVER asked for special treatment or GAC at Disneyland. I know that both of them would more than qualify for a GAC, but they CHOOSE not to use it. I think part of the whole process in trying to deal with ANY sort of emotional disability (i.e. autism, PTSD, sensory processing disorder, ADHD, "emotional" issues, what have you...) at DL & WDW is taking breaks as needed. When we go to the grocery store, we would never expect to cut in front of other people waiting to check out. It's just a part of life and learning to adapt and deal with it. There are SO MANY people with emotional issues who would qualify for the GAC, but choose not to give into their disability. They use it as a learning opportunity to function in the world.
DisneylandFlower is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-23-2013, 04:45 AM   #48
KPeveler

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneylandFlower View Post
Not trying to sound rude or anything, but...
My mom has PTSD and has severe anxiety disorder. My brother has sensory processing disorder (and at times both have struggles being around large groups of people). They both can get totally overwhelmed by sounds, crowds, and close contact with people. We've NEVER asked for special treatment or GAC at Disneyland. I know that both of them would more than qualify for a GAC, but they CHOOSE not to use it. I think part of the whole process in trying to deal with ANY sort of emotional disability (i.e. autism, PTSD, sensory processing disorder, ADHD, "emotional" issues, what have you...) at DL & WDW is taking breaks as needed. When we go to the grocery store, we would never expect to cut in front of other people waiting to check out. It's just a part of life and learning to adapt and deal with it. There are SO MANY people with emotional issues who would qualify for the GAC, but choose not to give into their disability. They use it as a learning opportunity to function in the world.

I really am not trying to be rude, but...

Just because your family chooses not to use a GAC does not mean that you are stronger, better, more special, healthier, better prepared, or anything that sets you above people who do use a GAC. Frankly, it is rude to imply that people who do use a tool created to establish equal access are somehow doing something wrong or bad or lesser.

DL does not need to be "a learning experience" for me, or any other person. Yes, we have to deal with the rest of the world without the GAC, without a tool which allows us to function better in more scenarios.

And, perhaps if you do not have a disability yourself and therefore have not experienced what we have, you do not realize how incredibly, truly, and deeply offensive it is to suggest that using a tool such as a GAC is "choos[ing] to give in to their disability."

I have the ability to walk short distances, but I use a wheelchair when I go to Disneyland. Am I "giving in" to my disability? Would it be better if I took breaks, sat on benches while watching the rest of my family enjoying their day?

What your post suggests you do not realize is that to use tools such as a wheelchair or a GAC is not to give in to disability, it is to overcome it. The shame that people like you add to using the tools that are available are what make so many people struggle when they do not have to. I am not saying that your family members must use a GAC when they go to Disneyland. What I am saying is that until you have experienced my disability personally, or anyone's disability personally, you should never be placing shame or stigma or negativity on using the options that are available.

As for Disneyland being some kind of learning experience, I would love to learn how not to have severe anxiety, social phobias, and ADHD, as well as my physical disabilities. I have been to countless hours of therapy and I will be in countless hours more. But no matter how many coping strategies I learn, no matter how many couches I lay on, I will still have "emotiona issues," as you put it. I can't out-learn psychological disabilities (which, by the way, are not emotional issues, they are psychological disabilities).

The best anyone can do is cope with them. One of the ways of coping with them is to use a GAC at Disneyland, a tool which is offered to me to facilitate equal access.

Since you started your post suggesting that you did not want to be rude, let me tell you as a member of and advocate for the Disability Community, that saying that using tools available to you is "giving in to their disability" is incredibly impolite and can actually be damaging and hurtful to some people, especially since you chose to almost attack those with emotional issues, as you put it.

If you take away nothing else from this post, take this: just because one person chooses NOT to use a GAC does not make them in any way, shape, or form better than those who do choose to use this tool. Your family should make whatever decision is best for you. But do not put shame on others for making a different decision.

"Its kind of fun to do the impossible" ~Walt Disney

Married in Disney World 10/26/2009!
KPeveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:11 AM   #49
Mousequake
Mouseketeer

EXTREMELY well said, KPeveler. Bravo!
Mousequake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:11 PM   #50
DisneyMarvelStarWars
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousequake View Post
EXTREMELY well said, KPeveler. Bravo!
Yes, thank you for speaking so eloquently.

Walt Disney Family Museum Member
DisneyMarvelStarWars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:23 PM   #51
DisneylandFlower
Lovin' Disney 365 Days of the Year!

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPeveler View Post

Just because your family chooses not to use a GAC does not mean that you are stronger, better, more special, healthier, better prepared, or anything that sets you above people who do use a GAC. Frankly, it is rude to imply that people who do use a tool created to establish equal access are somehow doing something wrong or bad or lesser.

I did not imply that my family is superior to anyone else. I did not imply that people who use GAC are wrong or bad or lesser.

DL does not need to be "a learning experience" for me, or any other person. Yes, we have to deal with the rest of the world without the GAC, without a tool which allows us to function better in more scenarios.

Yes, at every other place besides DL and WDW, people must cope, as no govt. or places of business have special passes for psychological, emotional, physical disabilities. Yes, they are handicapped accessible, but people who have other issues don't get to cut in front of other people who have been waiting in line. What I wish for is that everyone would have an equal experience at DL or WDW and not get special / superior treatment.

And, perhaps if you do not have a disability yourself and therefore have not experienced what we have, you do not realize how incredibly, truly, and deeply offensive it is to suggest that using a tool such as a GAC is "choos[ing] to give in to their disability."

No, I do not personally have a disability, but as stated before, my mother and brother both have disabilities, some of which are what many CM's hear daily as a reason to get a special pass or GAC.

I have the ability to walk short distances, but I use a wheelchair when I go to Disneyland. Am I "giving in" to my disability? Would it be better if I took breaks, sat on benches while watching the rest of my family enjoying their day?

Looking back at my post, I was not talking about physical disabilities. I understand the need for people who really need a wheelchair, to use a wheelchair.

What your post suggests you do not realize is that to use tools such as a wheelchair or a GAC is not to give in to disability, it is to overcome it. The shame that people like you add to using the tools that are available are what make so many people struggle when they do not have to. I am not saying that your family members must use a GAC when they go to Disneyland. What I am saying is that until you have experienced my disability personally, or anyone's disability personally, you should never be placing shame or stigma or negativity on using the options that are available.

I was not "shaming" anyone. I was simply adding my opinion, that you obviously don't agree with. As stated before, my family DOES have disabilities. Yes, they have to deal with it everyday. Yes, they do overcome their disability by going to Disneyland and waiting in line, just like everyone else. In fact, I can't help to feel as though people who use GAC are superior to the average DL patron. Many of the passes allow people to go to a special line with shorter wait times.

As for Disneyland being some kind of learning experience, I would love to learn how not to have severe anxiety, social phobias, and ADHD, as well as my physical disabilities. I have been to countless hours of therapy and I will be in countless hours more. But no matter how many coping strategies I learn, no matter how many couches I lay on, I will still have "emotiona issues," as you put it. I can't out-learn psychological disabilities (which, by the way, are not emotional issues, they are psychological disabilities).

The best anyone can do is cope with them. One of the ways of coping with them is to use a GAC at Disneyland, a tool which is offered to me to facilitate equal access.

That is all that I was saying. In fact, my brother is 10 years old and his OT met with him at several crowded places to help him learn techniques to cope when we see that he is getting overwhelmed / overstimulated. She also had him wear sunglasses, large hats, and earplugs in order to help "block out" the stimuli. I know that he does not want to be treated differently or more special because of his disability. I guess that everyone has their own preferences, some like to have special treatment, some not so much. Coping with your disease without needing special treatment that at many times GAC users go to the front of the line. An example of this is RSR, in which I've spoken with and also read many people who were able to completely bypass the 2-3 hour line and were able to ride more than once a day.

Since you started your post suggesting that you did not want to be rude, let me tell you as a member of and advocate for the Disability Community, that saying that using tools available to you is "giving in to their disability" is incredibly impolite and can actually be damaging and hurtful to some people, especially since you chose to almost attack those with emotional issues, as you put it.

If you take away nothing else from this post, take this: just because one person chooses NOT to use a GAC does not make them in any way, shape, or form better than those who do choose to use this tool. Your family should make whatever decision is best for you. But do not put shame on others for making a different decision.

I was simply stating my two cents, and I'm sorry if my post or my family's situation obviously offended you. You also started out that you didn't want to be rude, but the way I read your reply made me feel as though my family's situation was wrong. Just because my family chooses not to use a GAC, does not mean that we are superior. This is the type of response that I did not want to get from people. All I wanted to describe was my family's situation, just like hundreds of other families do on these boards. I am new to the DIS, and if I get this type of response from a moderator, I don't know if I should even share my thoughts or experiences on these boards.

Last edited by DisneylandFlower; 06-23-2013 at 12:31 PM. Reason: more information
DisneylandFlower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:15 PM   #52
dansamy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneylandFlower

I was simply stating my two cents, and I'm sorry if my post or my family's situation obviously offended you. You also started out that you didn't want to be rude, but the way I read your reply made me feel as though my family's situation was wrong. Just because my family chooses not to use a GAC, does not mean that we are superior. This is the type of response that I did not want to get from people. All I wanted to describe was my family's situation, just like hundreds of other families do on these boards. I am new to the DIS, and if I get this type of response from a moderator, I don't know if I should even share my thoughts or experiences on these boards.
If you can't see that your prior post was rude & presumptive & that KPeveler's wasn't, then perhaps you're right. K is a huge advocate for our disabled community. Assuming that someone else needing a GAC card means that they're "giving in to their disability" is rude, presumptive, judgemental & belittling. Different patients are in different places with their conditions. And they need to be met where they are. Their needs will not be the same as yours. Even if they have the same conditions. You were also disparaging towards neuropsych disorders, which are not simply a case of "get over it & learn to do xyz". Some patients can't. They never will. That's not a lack of willpower or a sense of entitlement from them. That's just where they are in their very real, unimagined disease process.
dansamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:03 AM   #53
Gisele
I love honey, but not the sting of bee's
Please do not forget to mail me my chocolate caramel apple before y'all leave

When they have been very, very naughty man!

~~ Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose ~~ Janis
Gisele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:27 PM   #54
mafpi
Mouseketeer

If you qualify for a GAC. It is your choice to use it or not. You choose not to. Other people choose to. It's that simple.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:32 PM   #55
Teki
Love the Indi hats!
My family takes odd pics like that every time we go

That video is pretty disturbing and the idea that someone is cutting you is always unsettling. However there really is nothing you can do about it even if its incredibly obvious. So its best just to let it go you'll be happier that way
Teki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:51 PM   #56
twinspirit
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPeveler View Post

Well said.
twinspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:29 PM   #57
CamoMama
DIS Veteran

My daughter has Asperger's Syndrome, and I have a touch of PTSD from my time in Afghanistan. We are both anxious in crowds, and having people touch us freaks us out big time. We don't use a GAC, even though we both could get them without any trouble. We don't feel that our concerns are severe enough to warrant getting one. But others with similar issues may feel that they are and go ahead and get a GAC. That doesn't make my daughter and I any better or worse than anyone else, it doesn't make us stronger than others or more determined or whatever.

We have been with friends who had GACs for various reasons (broken leg, etc) and we don't feel bad being in line with them, we are a group and we stick together as much as possible. Sometimes that means a shorter line, and sometimes (PoTC) that means a much longer line, and sometimes it means we get a pass to come back in an hour. I'm there to enjoy my vacation with my family and friends, being the first in line can be fun, but not being first doesn't detract from my enjoyment of my vacation.

Feb/Mar 2014 - DLR Diva Trip - GCH
Feb/Mar 2013 - DLR Diva Trip - HoJo's
July 2012 - DLR - Anaheim Carriage Inn (never again)
May 2012 - DLR - Motel 6 ~ Read my solo trip report here!
February 2012 - CBR
July 2010 - DLR - Embassy Suites
1978-1990 - DLR - multiple trips, all offsite
CamoMama is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: