Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2012, 08:19 PM   #1
averill94
DIS Veteran

need help Converting a desktop PC to wireless!

Please help or advise!

We had to move our older desktop to another room(inlaws moved in). It was actually plugge in with a wire directly to the modem. Now that it is in another room completely, isnt there a way to convert it to wireless so it can pick up the internet (my sons pc is wireless and works perfectly)?

I have already purchased 2 items that are not working...1st at Walmart I was told to buy a wireless router. I did and that clearly was not right. WHen I called the Belkin help desk they said"Oh you need a wireless adapter!". I just went out purchased the wireless adapter at Walmart (asked the associate who assured me it would work!). We plugged it in a started the software, but it seems that this one must be installed with a Belkin router!!!

Please help! How do I make my desktop PC wireless?

I feel so stupid!
Thank you
Margaret
Old 11-14-2012, 08:24 PM   #2
lizabu
DIS Veteran

Keep the wireless router. You need that. Now the desktop needs either a wireless adapter or a wireless ethernet card. They have to be compatable with each other though. Most new ones are. My suggestion is to bring the wireless adapter back and tell them the kind of wireless router you have and let them help you choose one that will work with it. There will usually be a disk that comes with the router that you can run and it will set things up.
lizabu is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-14-2012, 09:40 PM   #3
manning
Just for that I have requested it be left open!!!
We each have a sore spot....My butt and her right foot

What brand/model computer do you have? That will help us.
manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:55 PM   #4
manning
Just for that I have requested it be left open!!!
We each have a sore spot....My butt and her right foot

WARNING

When you set up the router be sure you lock it down with a password. A long random one. Mine is over 20 characters long. If you don't please give me your street address so I can park outside of your house so I can threaten someone. That way I can get away with it and lead the police to you.

Yes that can, and has, happened.

All routers come with a default password for setup purpose. Don't change that you open yourself up for trouble. Anyone can tap in. A thief will cruise a neighborhood looking for unprotected routers then park and monitor/tap into your wi-fi network.
manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:31 AM   #5
averill94
DIS Veteran

omg thank you for your help!!! It is an old Dell.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:47 AM   #6
Debbie7452
Aspires to be a Tag Fairy
Official Race Team Manager

I'm no expert but if her son's computer was already getting a wireless internet signal doesn't that mean she already has a wireless modem (possibly set up by the internet provider?).
Debbie7452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:50 AM   #7
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by averill94 View Post
Please help or advise!

We had to move our older desktop to another room(inlaws moved in). It was actually plugge in with a wire directly to the modem. Now that it is in another room completely, isnt there a way to convert it to wireless so it can pick up the internet (my sons pc is wireless and works perfectly)?

I have already purchased 2 items that are not working...1st at Walmart I was told to buy a wireless router. I did and that clearly was not right. WHen I called the Belkin help desk they said"Oh you need a wireless adapter!". I just went out purchased the wireless adapter at Walmart (asked the associate who assured me it would work!). We plugged it in a started the software, but it seems that this one must be installed with a Belkin router!!!

Please help! How do I make my desktop PC wireless?

I feel so stupid!
Thank you
Margaret
I'm confused. You say your sons pc is wireless and works fine. Is that a laptop or a desktop? Is that in your house? Did his PC work wireless before you went and bought the stuff?

Assuming your computer was plugged directly into the modem...
1) You need a wifi router. All the ones I have set up have needed a wired connection to a PC to set it up, then it can be fully wireless.
2) Your PC will need some kind of wireless adaptor. According to others, you need a compatible kind, I didn't know there was a difference.

That should be it. Set up your wifi router following the included instructions (making sure to password protect it), THEN set up the wireless adaptor on the desktop following its instructions.
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: