Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2012, 07:43 AM   #16
kellyg403
She changes friends like she changes underwear
NEVER GO INTO THE BOWELS OF HELL aka teenager bedroom WITHOUT TURNING ON THE LIGHTS

I currently have a 11 yo black lab/mutt that I have been 'babysitting' for 10 years! There is no way my dd would be able to take her now. DD got her the summer after high school and when she moved out the plan was to take her, but the fee for pets at the apt was high and we decided to keep her at our house. The visits to the 'pet' started becoming infrequent because like you said, with job, school and friends there was no time.

The best thing that could happen is the dog stay with you. Honestly, I could do without all the dog hair, and now that she is older she is a bit cantankerous. But, she fits in with grandma and papa..we are a bit cranky ourselves.

Kelly
Old 11-15-2012, 11:34 AM   #17
sue1013
Haven't had a good Yodel in years
I know I'm the odd one
We need to be snow birds!

We were in the same situation a couple years ago. DS got a puppy in Feb of his senior year of college. He brought her home for us to see her I told him to leave the dog here since he would be coming back home in May and the dog would be living in my house I wanted her trained right. He was living with 6 other guys in a house I knew training would be minimal. He lived home for a little over a year then moved into an apartment with his gf and planned on taking the dog after they got settled in. They took her on the weekend. Monday he set up a web cam to watch her while he was at work. That's all it took he brought her back that night. He could see she was almost in a panic being left alone where she wasn't comfortable. I also think not having a yard, having to walk her everytime she wanted to go out was part of the reason but he never admitted to that. We told him we would take her back but when we went away it was his responsibility to take care of her. He loves the dog so he stays here when he needs to watch her.
Of course it killed DH and I when she was gone for the weekend but things worked out. I had to bite my tongue to not say anything to DS about not having time for the dog but I knew he loved the dog and would figure out she was better off with us.
sue1013 is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-15-2012, 11:57 AM   #18
JoiseyMom
Have you had your SPANX today???
I mean, peep poop should be shiny and colored!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggeroo View Post
I have had several young adult children while they unsigned up their schooling and saved some money. One child two years ago bought a puppy. This child loved this dog but typical to this age was not really ready for this responsibility. Not only were there several jobs there were serious relationships. Also this child after working two jobs came home took a shower and went out with friends. Dh and I were always caring for this dog. We walked him took him to the park took him to vets offices made sure he had food... The dog follows us around and sleeps in our room. Dh always plays with him for at least an hour a night.
You can see where this is going. Child is ready to move out soon and definitely plans on taking dog. I have been avoiding this conversation. I don't want to estrange a child. It's not just that the dog loves us. He's be happy with my child too if there would be any Te for the dog. But child is beginning the first real job will be taking classes and in the smer will still work two jobs bthere will be parties to go to. That dog will be neglected and left home at least ten hours a day. Dh an I both work but I have frequent time off. I can also afford a dog walker. I am off all summer too. Has anybody dealt with this? How did you handle it? Child thinks we spoil the dog and he doesn't need nearly all of the attention we give him. We do spoil him a bit.
Do what my fil did with DH and his cat. Fil handed DH a roll of GSP tokens and said done! LMAO!

The dog is yours. Tell your child this. Tell him you have paid for his care, food, vet, etc and taken care of him. He is yours. If he wants another dog he can go get another one. Bye bye!!
2005 August - Surprise Trip for kids!! CSR; 2006 August - Surprise Trip for kids at CSR again!! 2007 August - 3 nite Wonder & AKL FD 3peat!!
2007 December 8 - 7nite Eastern on the Magic! 2008 August 17 DCL Magic EB Panama Canal; March 2011 WDW trip with friends. 2012 Aug 25 DCL Bahamas Magic from NYC;2012 Sept 12 DCL Canadian Magic;2013 Aug AKL Kidani;2013 Aug DCL Fantasy

I am Poohtiful and Poohlicious!!!! Have you had your Spanx today???
JoiseyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:19 PM   #19
SleepyMom
DIS Veteran

We got Dash 2 days before younger DD started 6th grade, he is her dog. Once she started school though, he was in my care all day long, and she was responsible for him evenings and weekends.

He is now 7 1/2 years old and DD is away at her Freshman year of college, so this is something I have thought about and we have discussed. By the time she graduates, he will be 11 to 12 years old. I really feel he would not do well with a big change like moving and being alone all day at that age. He is used to me being home all day with him (yes he is spoiled). We haven't come to a final decision, but we still have a few years until we need to. I think we will both want the best for him at that time. He will always be her dog, even if he still lives with us.

NEXT UP... Moving youngest DD to WDW for her DCP, August 2014!!! January 2014 - 15 people seeing the World! Jan 2013 ~ Birthday trip for DD Oct 2011 ~ Mother/youngest DD, DSisIL & DNiece Jan 2011 ~ Mother/oldest DD trip May 2010 ~ Surprise Trip!!!
February 2009 ~ Girls Trip ~ SIL, DNiece, 2DD's and me! 10/07 Our family of 4 and Brothers family of 5 6/05 Family trip - DL & DCA
11/04 Mother/youngest Daughter trip - WDW 9/02 Family trip - US/IOA, SW & DC, WDW 12/99 Family trip - WDW & SW
7/91 First Family trip - DL
SleepyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:00 PM   #20
Tiggeroo
Grammar Nazi
is looking for a funny tag to put under her name
How about..Eats all the peanut butter out of the chocolate ice cream?
Showed BestBuy her Best Pink Lace

So the decision comes down to letting him try and take the dog and assuming he will figure out quickly its a bad idea. But he might not admit it. Or we have an honest talk ahead of time explaining why the dog should stay with us. If he doesn't agree then we get tough risking alienating our son just when he is leaving. None of these choices feels good. I had a disagreement with one child right before he moved out. It was awful. This child is in the I'm now a super responsible adult mode o er night. I'm very glad for him. But this dog wasn't raised to be home alone for hour. I won't be able to get the thought of him alone in a new space for hours and hours out of my head.

Flamingo Restored by Dan Murphy
Tiggeroo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: