Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2012, 01:46 PM   #31
wannagoback
Broke them in before the trip
We were with Goofy and Donald on the Teacups ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassandrap83
Instead, I would open a small savings account and put the money you intended to spend on the gift in the account. At graduation, it would make a nice gift - and no one would feel left out.
This is a really good idea!!
wannagoback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:11 PM   #32
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimilady View Post
I didn't misread it. You are missing my point entirely. It's like in sports, people complain about everyone getting a trophy for participation. Giving everyone a trophy negates the specialness of the trophy. Giving a gift to everyone in the family negates the specialness of the Godmother bond. You obviously disagree. Such is life. But you were the one who got bent out of shape about it and started throwing around the insults. You shouldn't let people on the internet get your panties all up in a bunch. Life is too short. And as my friend would say to people who are especially rude to her, have a magical day.
I'm not missing your point, your trophy analogy doesn't fit here since all the kids in that family are special to me. I would never give just my god child a gift because we have that special bond. I have a bond with all those kids, so they all get a gift. You seem to think that the title of godchild makes it so that child has a more special bond. It only makes it different, but never more special. (In my personal situation, with that specific family).
As far as getting bent out of shape, nah, just wanted clarification of your point since it makes no sense. Nobody is being penalized, and its a strange thing to think. And if you feel you were insulted because I called you out on your misunderstanding of what I previously said, maybe you shouldn't involve yourself in internet conversations.

Have a magical day
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-14-2012, 03:52 PM   #33
DisneyMissy318
DIS Veteran

I haven't read all of the responses - but I'm guessing the other 7 children have Godparents of their own - I wouldn't think they would just start this religious tradition with child #8 (of course I could be wrong)... so the other children probably have an extra gift from their Godparent as well.

I would do whatever makes you feel comfortable - love the idea of "something" for the others family members - movie and popcorn bucket - you could do for less than $10 or so.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:40 PM   #34
disykat
DIS Veteran

I think there are regional, cultural, and religious differences in what the expectation for godparents is. Also, gift giving is just not really that big of a part of Christmas for many of us.

I never received Christmas presents from my Godparents, I've never given them to my godchildren. It honestly has never occured to me until this thread. (Hopefully, like someone else mentioned, I'm not the loser godparent while all the other kids get special Christmas gifts!) My Godmother and my sibling's Godmothers all gave the family something like cookies because they were family friends. I've done the same because I am family friends with the families of my godchildren. Gifts have never really been a part of the equation other than on milestone religious occasions.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: