Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2012, 10:39 AM   #1
Experiment_626
Stealth Geek

Tom Sawyer Island ...

Just curious ... has anyone tried or evaluated/assessed/reconnoitered the island for angles it could give on surrounding attractions, such as Haunted Mansion, the Liberty Belle and/or Big Thunder Mountain? It appears that you should be able to get some interesting angles on at least some of these attractions from the island, but it has been years since I ventured over there. It just always seems to take so long to get across the water and back, but I'll do it if there are good photos to be had.

SSB
Old 02-22-2012, 12:04 PM   #2
SrisonS
... and that's 'ess-ryzun-ess' (play on my name) ;)

You can get some unique angles on Big Thunder, but not so much the Haunted Mansion. For HM, its queue blocks most of that view.

Actually, for some different perspectives, I'd suggest going on the Liberty Belle. You'll definitely be able to come up with some interesting shots there.
SrisonS is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-22-2012, 12:10 PM   #3
Marlton Mom
My favorite ride is the "ladies room"...... it's air conditioned and you get to sit down! *Marlton Mom is Rockin a Nikon D90!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrisonS View Post
You can get some unique angles on Big Thunder, but not so much the Haunted Mansion. For HM, its queue blocks most of that view.

Actually, for some different perspectives, I'd suggest going on the Liberty Belle. You'll definitely be able to come up with some interesting shots there.
Just keep in mind that Apr 16, 2012-May 20, 2012 the Liberty Square Riverboat will be closed for refurbishment.... but that shouldn't impact your next visit eh?

~Marlton Mom
Marlton Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:33 PM   #4
zackiedawg
WEDway Peoplemover Rider

I have gone over there to shoot various things like you mention...here are a few shots to give an idea of the angles/perspectives of the various rides/buildings:

Liberty Belle coming around the corner:

Riverboat dock and castle:

Riverboat dock:

Haunted Mansion from Aunt Polly's:

Old Keelboat building:

Liberty Belle steaming, viewed from the vicinity of the fort:

From the fort's escape trail along the river:
Old 02-22-2012, 03:30 PM   #5
Experiment_626
Stealth Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrisonS View Post
I've done that and you're correct. In fact, hanging in our living room is an 18x24 print of one of my photos of Big Thunder Mountain shot from the Liberty Belle. But that doesn't really lend itself to bracketing for HDR -- they refuse to stop the boat on a dime for my photography purposes! Can you imagine? And here I thought Disney had a reputation for great guest service! Humph!

SSB
Old 02-25-2012, 05:19 PM   #6
wbeem
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Experiment_626 View Post
I've done that and you're correct. In fact, hanging in our living room is an 18x24 print of one of my photos of Big Thunder Mountain shot from the Liberty Belle. But that doesn't really lend itself to bracketing for HDR -- they refuse to stop the boat on a dime for my photography purposes! Can you imagine? And here I thought Disney had a reputation for great guest service! Humph!

SSB
You can still do HDR on moving objects. Just add the exposure you want in a layer inside Photoshop and mask it in to the overall image, then finish it as you would any other photo.
wbeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:33 PM   #7
rdunative
DIS Veteran

rdunative is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: