Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2013, 05:59 AM   #1
pampam
DIS Veteran

Technology in the parks

I realize I am light years behind most of you so if you could gently walk me through things, using simple language, that would be great.

I do not have a cell phone, but I have a 13" mac pro. It is not hooked up to any service. I hear of people using the wifi in the parks to get updates, FP+, etc. Should I take it in the parks with me in my backpack? What apps should I download? If I do this, what would all the benefits be? I'm really a novice here, so any help you could suggest would be greatly appreciated.
pampam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 12:04 PM   #2
Mary Jo
Techarita
Loves the star on the mountain

DISboards Moderator

Hi there,

I'm going to move your thread to the Theme Park & Strategies board. You might get some good answers from people in that section of the forums.
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-28-2013, 01:27 PM   #3
blkhwks55
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampam View Post
I realize I am light years behind most of you so if you could gently walk me through things, using simple language, that would be great.

I do not have a cell phone, but I have a 13" mac pro. It is not hooked up to any service. I hear of people using the wifi in the parks to get updates, FP+, etc. Should I take it in the parks with me in my backpack? What apps should I download? If I do this, what would all the benefits be? I'm really a novice here, so any help you could suggest would be greatly appreciated.
WiFi is wireless technology that has been installed throughout the park. WiFi is completely separate from having a service from any cell phone carriers. I don't know how well it works in the park because I haven't been there yet to experience it. Your Mac Pro can be used in the park though it may be a bit cumbersome, plus you'd have to worry about charging it. There would be no apps that you'd have to install on your computer because you'd be able to go directly to the website.

Do you have access to an iPod Touch, or any tablet? You might be better suited to pick up a cheap tablet that has either the iOS (Apple), or Android operating system so you get get the apps and not have to carry your laptop around the park. Hope it helps.

Tony
Old 11-28-2013, 04:40 PM   #4
mountdew1
DIS Veteran

You could bring a laptop with you, but that's a bit of overkill. The WiFi in the parks does work, but WDW has kiosks set up where you can stop and update/check your FP+. Unless you pull out the laptop, and check your email every few minutes, you really don't gain much besides stopping at the kiosks.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: