Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2014, 06:28 PM   #1
dreamscometrue101
Mouseketeer

Cool Confused CMs or Is It Just Me?

I'm finally booking my October trip tonight after work and I've been pricing out packages for the last few weeks in advance of it.

The biggest sticking point for me is the dining plan. With a wedding in the midst of my solo trip I'm not sure it's worth the money to add the dining plan as there is going to be a lot of wedding things happening and I'm sure I'll be skipping a few meals.

I would like to book my package tonight and then add the Dining Plan on after I've crunched the numbers but every time that I call Disney to ask a question, I ask about adding the Dining plan later and 4 of the 6 CMs that I've spoken to have said that I have to add it at the time of booking.

I was confirming prices today online and went through the Chat function and the CM there told me the same thing. I told her that other CMs have told fellow travellers that they could add it later, but she said she was certain it had to be booked with the original booking.

Has anyone else booked in the last little while and been told they could add it later on? Worse case scenario I don't add it now and I have to pay OOP for food, it wouldn't be that big a deal but I would like the option to add it later if possible.

dreamscometrue101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:51 PM   #2
frannn
please stop the madnesssss already & tag me
From the TF...someone pls call 911 for Frann, she held her breath until I tagged her and she apparently turned blue and fell down. :)

Confused CMs, unless things have changed

As far as I know, it has always been the case that you can add the dining plan to your package up to 48 hrs before you arrive. I could be wrong about the specific amount of days, but I believe you can definitely add it later.
Register to remove

Old 03-07-2014, 07:32 PM   #3
fuzzylogicllc
www.infinitrader.net

No problem at all adding it later. I added mine well after I made my original booking. You can take it off at any time too. If you're outside 45 days there is no charge. If you're inside 45 days there is no charge if your total goes up, and a $50 charge if your total is reduced by your change.

If a CM wont add it just call back and get one that will. I've done it lots of times, as recently as a month ago when I added the DDP to my own.
-mike

2015/Dec -- Where to stay? If you have BC or BLT DVC and would want to rent out pls contact.
2014/May WDW Contemporary / LLFL
2012/Sep WDW Polynesian / LLFL
2010/Aug WDW Polynesian
2007/Jun Disneyland / LLCA *Opening of Finding Nemo*
2004/Sep Disneyland / LLCA
2002/Oct Disneyland
1998/Dec Disneyland / USH
1995/Dec Disneyland
1983 WDW Polynesian *Epcot*
1979 WDW Contemporary
1978 WDW Contemporary *MK & River Country*
fuzzylogicllc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:28 AM   #4
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamscometrue101 View Post
I'm finally booking my October trip tonight after work and I've been pricing out packages for the last few weeks in advance of it.

The biggest sticking point for me is the dining plan. With a wedding in the midst of my solo trip I'm not sure it's worth the money to add the dining plan as there is going to be a lot of wedding things happening and I'm sure I'll be skipping a few meals.

I would like to book my package tonight and then add the Dining Plan on after I've crunched the numbers but every time that I call Disney to ask a question, I ask about adding the Dining plan later and 4 of the 6 CMs that I've spoken to have said that I have to add it at the time of booking.

I was confirming prices today online and went through the Chat function and the CM there told me the same thing. I told her that other CMs have told fellow travellers that they could add it later, but she said she was certain it had to be booked with the original booking.

Has anyone else booked in the last little while and been told they could add it later on? Worse case scenario I don't add it now and I have to pay OOP for food, it wouldn't be that big a deal but I would like the option to add it later if possible.
You can add the DDP to a package anytime, as long as it's added at least 3 days prior to arrival. With that said, if you book RO now and want to change to a package later, the RO will have to be cancelled/refunded and a package booked, requiring a new $200 deposit (or payment in full if this is done 45 days or less from arrival). RO and packages are different reservations systems, so money paid toward one cannot be applied to the other.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:29 PM   #5
Missyk1124
Mouseketeer

I just added the DDP to my package tonight with no problem. Our package had room and tickets though. We check in in 6 days.
Missyk1124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:57 PM   #6
POOHsie
DIS Veteran

You could have 2 separate reservations. One with dining plan, one that's room-only during the time of your wedding activities.

You can add dining plan to your reservations later, but it must cover your entire reservation, not just some days. Switching to 2 reservations will give you the control you want. There's always the caveat that you might have to switch rooms for your second reservation, but that is very unusual. I've had 2 trips with 2 different reservations at the same resort, and never had to change rooms.
POOHsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:24 AM   #7
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by frannn View Post
As far as I know, it has always been the case that you can add the dining plan to your package up to 48 hrs before you arrive. I could be wrong about the specific amount of days, but I believe you can definitely add it later.
48 hours is only for DVC reservations. For regular Disney bookings, it is 72 hours.
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
vicki_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 12:03 PM   #8
dreamscometrue101
Mouseketeer

Thank you everyone. I thought that was the case but the CMs were convinced it wasn't possible.

I think they want people to book the DDP and then not deal with the hassle of removing it and then adding free dining if it comes out.

dreamscometrue101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:05 AM   #9
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

It shouldn't be any problem for them to add free dining to an existing package, so that can't be it. The difficulty lies in changing a room-only reservation to a package, because that will have to be a cancellation and rebooking.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: