Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The College Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2015, 12:01 PM   #2461
carol-lamb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousestruck View Post
Hi all. My son is currently a freshman at University of Florida and is planning to apply for the DCP this year for Fall Advantage and/or next year's Spring Advantage (as a sophomore). It has been a longstanding dream of his to work for Disney, and in fact, this was one of the reasons he chose UF - in hopes of optimizing his opportunities! (We live in NJ.)

The UF Business School requires him to take two 4-credit UF courses on-line during the program (while also receiving 4 credits for the internship by doing a few assignments). Naturally I am concerned about this, since he will be working full-time. Have any of your kids successfully taken school courses during the program? Were supervisors accommodating if he/she needed a certain window of time off to take an exam?

Any insight would be appreciated!

My daughter was in the Spring 13 program and extended twice - so just a couple of weeks short of a whole year. She took online classes two semesters and had no problems handling them plus her work schedule. She is now seasonal and went down this past summer for four months and also took online classes the entire summer.

I doubt she ever asked a manager for time off for an exam. I'm sure she would have given a shift away or exchanged with another cast member if she had a conflict. They do that all the time.
Spring '86, Summer '89, Spring '92, Summer '97, Summer '98, Summer '01, Spring '03, Summer '04, Summer '05, Christmas '05, Summer '06, Christmas '06, Summer '07, Christmas '07, Summer '08, Christmas '08, Winter '09, Summer '09, Fall '09, Christmas '09, Easter '10, May '10, Summer '10, Fall '10, Christmas '10, Spring '11, Summer '11, Fall '11, Christmas '11, March '12, Summer '12, Fall '12, Christmas '12, January '13, March '13, April '13, June '13, Disneyland August '13, January '14, March '14, June '14, July '14! August '14, Disneyland August '14, Sept. '14, Christmas '14
carol-lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 03:17 PM   #2462
mousestruck
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by carol-lamb View Post
My daughter was in the Spring 13 program and extended twice - so just a couple of weeks short of a whole year. She took online classes two semesters and had no problems handling them plus her work schedule. She is now seasonal and went down this past summer for four months and also took online classes the entire summer.

I doubt she ever asked a manager for time off for an exam. I'm sure she would have given a shift away or exchanged with another cast member if she had a conflict. They do that all the time.
Thank you so much for sharing your daughter's experience! I'm glad to know that your daughter found it manageable.
mousestruck is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-23-2015, 09:17 PM   #2463
DisneyFansInNYC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizMom11 View Post
My Daughter checks in 2/2. I am debating leaving on 2/4 or 2/5. Will she have no use for me after 2/4? lol
We just moved our daughter in and I wish we had more time to stay. We had to leave Tuesday night - since my other kids had school.

Here was her week:

Monday: Check in at 8:45am
She had casting directly afterwards. She finished casting at
around 12:30pm. Then we moved her into her apartment.
Tuesday: 1pm until about 3pm was her dorm meeting.
Wednesday: Nothing
Thursday: 7am until around 2pm she had Traditions.
Friday: Nothing
Saturday: Nothing
Sunday: Will be her first training class.

We truly did buy a lot of stuff at home but knew we had to buy stuff down there. There were items that we couldn't find because they were all sold out everywhere - like bed risers, under-bed storage bins. We hit 2 Walmarts - 2 Targets plus other stores. She also found out that she needed black shoes/sneakers without any logos. That was hard also. We went everywhere and every store had several DCP students looking for shoes. Finally found 2 pairs at a Famous Footwear.

Our DD stayed with us at the hotel on the night she checked in - so did her other roommates stay with their parents. But all of them stayed there Tuesday night.

I hope that helps and I hope you daughter enjoys it.

Our 2014 Disney Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3tymXDmdPQ

Our 2013 Disney Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLSzd7LSuFc
DisneyFansInNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 04:29 PM   #2464
::Snow_White::
Harry Potter =
They're not as unpredictable as house elves like Dobby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousestruck View Post
Hi all. My son is currently a freshman at University of Florida and is planning to apply for the DCP this year for Fall Advantage and/or next year's Spring Advantage (as a sophomore). It has been a longstanding dream of his to work for Disney, and in fact, this was one of the reasons he chose UF - in hopes of optimizing his opportunities! (We live in NJ.)

The UF Business School requires him to take two 4-credit UF courses on-line during the program (while also receiving 4 credits for the internship by doing a few assignments). Naturally I am concerned about this, since he will be working full-time. Have any of your kids successfully taken school courses during the program? Were supervisors accommodating if he/she needed a certain window of time off to take an exam?

Any insight would be appreciated!

I took 12 hours during my CP. In the event guide you get at check-in there is a section for education where you email Disney a picture of your university schedule and you can choose a 4 hour time frame each week that you aren't scheduled ever so you can do your work. Mine was 8am-12PM on Tuesdays.

If he has to take an exam at a certain time and he's scheduled to work he will probably have to trade his shift with a coworker or give it away completely. In general managers don't have much if anything to do with scheduling other than letting you go early. However, I never had a problem with exams so I never asked. But definitely set up that block time via email. It was hard but I survived.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
Quick question...my dd, a college junior, is planning on applying next year, for the fall program right after graduation. She has a very good friend who is there now, just starting her program. Her friend has a car..mom drove them down and is flying home. My question...is a car really helpful down there? My dd doesn't drive all that much at home. She's a very nervous driver. So, not sure if we would be comfortable with her having access to a car in such unfamiliar areas. Any advice from those of you who have been down this road?
I personally would take my car, I took it my first program in Fall 2013 and it was a huge blessing. I took the bus a few times thinking it wouldn't be so bad but it took about an hour extra each way just to get to work and the busses break down and are pretty unreliable. That being said a ton of CPs don't bring cars. Only 2 of us in my apartment brought ours. It's much easier to get groceries with a car. I'm a nervous driver but driving to work is a breeze and getting to Publix and Target from the apartments is super easy and hardly crowded. Disney property gets crowded at night during closing but it's mostly traffic, just avoid I4.

'99--ASMo // '02--ASMo // '07--Pop // '10--POFQ & Pop
'12--CBR // '12--AOA & Pop // '13--POR & CSR // '13 AOA, POP, & BC
'14 DL Avengers Run // '14 Pop
Fall 2013 Merchandise Disney College Program Cast Member!
::Snow_White:: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 04:05 PM   #2465
HopperFan
"It's a bug-eat-bug world out there, princess. One of those "circle of life" kind of things."

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
Quick question...my dd, a college junior, is planning on applying next year, for the fall program right after graduation. She has a very good friend who is there now, just starting her program. Her friend has a car..mom drove them down and is flying home. My question...is a car really helpful down there? My dd doesn't drive all that much at home. She's a very nervous driver. So, not sure if we would be comfortable with her having access to a car in such unfamiliar areas. Any advice from those of you who have been down this road?
It's a tough one. My DD is there now, has been since August with her car. She owns her car, she's is totally comfortable driving (she drove 8 hours home Christmas Eve to surprise us and drove back xmas day for work) and is almost 22. Last semester she had a roommate from CA and now she is living with an old workmate who is from UT - no cars. You truly do not need a car for a social life or errands there is always someone you are friends with, rooming with, working with or hanging with - with a car. Last semester my DD drove many workmates back to their apartments each night. She has tried the bus to her new position at EPCOT but it was too long to commute when she knew she had a car sitting there. Her roommate is now busing to MK. Work is the only time they might wish they had a car but it's not necessary. She will just have to add that extra commute time to her travels.

If it's not a long drive to get it there and she would be totally comfortable driving among the tourists I would take it. But if not, she will be fine there are lots there with no cars.
2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013 for "COMPLIMENTARY" Dining

Making Magical Visits since 1971 ~ now visiting 5-6 weeks per year ON PROPERTY STAYS & Our Star Rating:
Animal Kingdom Lodge 2x ~ Wilderness Lodge
Coronado Springs 8x (1xBusClass) ~ PO Riverside 5x (1xRoyal) ~ Bonnett Creek 2x ~ PO French Quarter
POP Century 15x ~ Hilton DTD 2x ~ Doubletree Suites DTD 3x ~ B Resort
All Star Movie ~ Wilderness Cabins ~ All Star Sports 3x
Caribbean Beach 2x (1xPirate) ~ All Star Music 2x
Lots of offsite, but somehow it never seems right, 'though Rosen Shingle Creek was luxury I could get used to !
HopperFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 04:58 PM   #2466
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Thanks guys!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: