Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-22-2013, 04:23 PM   #286
chobie
Fish are friends, not food
My beautiful, smart, awesome daughter changed my tags!
Would you please stop making my head hurt today?
 
chobie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: 3 hours from wdw!
Posts: 9,311

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post
Isn't this really a thread full of judgment? Aren't even those who are accusing others of judging the Duggars doing the same thing themselves?
Exactly. And the Duggar defenders are also assuming things about them based on what the Duggar's have chosen to put out there about their family that may or may not be true.

Based on what they've decided to publicize, some have decided to criticize them, whilst others have decide to praise them. Just like any other tv show reality personas.
chobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 04:26 PM   #287
Hrhpd
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,766

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaNJ View Post
You keep repeatedly showing how little you really know about this family, as well as how judgmental you are. What is that old saying by Mark Twain?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigletgirl View Post
Where is all this criticism coming from? Are you enjoying making yourself feel superior? Let it go.
This isn't some family quietly trying to live their life while the media picks them apart.

This is a family that voluntarily reaps the monetary and other benefits of putting their lifestyle in your family room every week.

Thus, there is a price to pay for accepting the fame and fortune of a reality show.

People are going to form opinions of what you put into their family room every week and are going to comment on it.

People are going to judge you and your family by what you choose to put out in front of millions of people.

If they want to live in anonymity, they can always quit the reality show and get out of people's living rooms.
Hrhpd is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-22-2013, 04:34 PM   #288
Hrhpd
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,766

I personally don't believe that they truly believe what they put out there.

If they really did believe that it was "the truth," there would be no reason to isolate the children. They wouldn't limit the internet to 70 websites, wouldn't isolate them from people. Hell, they don't even go to church. They and a few selected families hold home worships. The kids can't even mingle with almost like minded individuals.

The boys can't even go to their first responder jobs without a sister going along to watch and chaperone.

The internet is never used unless there is a buddy sitting next to them to monitor what the kids are looking at.

What in the world are they so afraid of? If they were secure in their beliefs, they would be secure in the fact that they would stand up against all the evil they perceive in the real world.

Jim Bob lost his senate election, so this is his way of getting the public recognition he craves. I believe they are manipulating controversial lifestyles for the fame and fortune it brings them.

And yes, that is my opinion. You are free to have your own opinion.
Hrhpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 04:38 PM   #289
princesspumpkin
DIS Veteran
 
princesspumpkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,003

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLIrishChick63 View Post

those kids would be kicked out of the family if they ever decided to leave. besides the fact that they don't know how the real world truly works, they'd be lost on their own. they're so sheltered.

oh man....i won't even get into Jim Jones....all i'll say is, towards the end even his "followers" began to see what he truly was...and by that point it was too late for some of them
I think we are saying the same thing, actually. Yes, they can leave if they choose, but there may be repercussions. The point I was trying to make is that they CAN leave. And sheltered people can and do learn to adapt.

As for Jim Jones, we were also saying the same thing, that their followers began to see what he was and LEFT! Unfortunately, some weren't able to, but my point is that even though they followed him and his ideals, they eventually decided that it wasn't for them and left, from a cult! If they can do it, so can the kids, if they want to.
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Marriage isn't about finding the right person, it's about being the right person.


"For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain
the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
princesspumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:07 PM   #290
CPT Tripss
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: New Jersey - The Philly End
Posts: 5,077

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post
Isn't this really a thread full of judgment? Aren't even those who are accusing others of judging the Duggars doing the same thing themselves?
using logic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chobie View Post
Exactly. And the Duggar defenders are also assuming things about them based on what the Duggar's have chosen to put out there about their family that may or may not be true.

Based on what they've decided to publicize, some have decided to criticize them, whilst others have decide to praise them. Just like any other tv show reality personas.
@$$ u me . . . And there isn't anything real about "reality" TV
__________________
Non siggy
Can't lose what you don't have
CPT Tripss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:08 PM   #291
nuke
Life is Good
 
nuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago Area
Posts: 4,124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conservative Hippie View Post
It has to do with religion so this may be deleted, but it is because of a verse in the bible (Deuteronomy) that says a woman should not wear a man's garment and a man should not wear a woman's garment. I think that's about all I can say without getting points....

Sent from me.
I know the thread has moved on from this but if that is the most ridiculous thing I've ever read. They all wore robes (dresses) back then.
__________________
Milo and Max
nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:11 PM   #292
CPT Tripss
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: New Jersey - The Philly End
Posts: 5,077

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrhpd View Post
I personally don't believe that they truly believe what they put out there.

If they really did believe that it was "the truth," there would be no reason to isolate the children. They wouldn't limit the internet to 70 websites, wouldn't isolate them from people. Hell, they don't even go to church. They and a few selected families hold home worships. The kids can't even mingle with almost like minded individuals.

The boys can't even go to their first responder jobs without a sister going along to watch and chaperone.

The internet is never used unless there is a buddy sitting next to them to monitor what the kids are looking at.

What in the world are they so afraid of? If they were secure in their beliefs, they would be secure in the fact that they would stand up against all the evil they perceive in the real world.

Jim Bob lost his senate election, so this is his way of getting the public recognition he craves. I believe they are manipulating controversial lifestyles for the fame and fortune it brings them.

And yes, that is my opinion. You are free to have your own opinion.
Hmmmm . . . maybe they should hang photos of Stalin and Hitler, seems totalitarian.
__________________
Non siggy
Can't lose what you don't have
CPT Tripss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:11 PM   #293
Elinor Dashwood
DIS Veteran
 
Elinor Dashwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,513

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLIrishChick63 View Post
Amy's sweet but i'm pretty sure they have almost the same beliefs.
I've seen several episodes with cousin Amy and her beliefs are much more watered down compared to the Duggars. I even think Josh said something to that effect when he and Anna were on a double date with Amy and her boyfriend.
Elinor Dashwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:13 PM   #294
Granny square
Always planning a trip!
 
Granny square's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,732

Quote:
Originally Posted by chobie View Post
Exactly. And the Duggar defenders are also assuming things about them based on what the Duggar's have chosen to put out there about their family that may or may not be true. Based on what they've decided to publicize, some have decided to criticize them, whilst others have decide to praise them. Just like any other tv show reality personas.
I have ambiguous feelings about them and their choices. I figure they are like most people they do some right they screw other things up.

However I totally agree that if you are going to put all your business out there it is fodder for discussion.

Of course I also believe that there is no such thing as reality tv. It is all scripted.
__________________
wishing I was at the beach!
Granny square is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:31 PM   #295
faylynn24
DIS Veteran
 
faylynn24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 613

I to think its crazy to have to get permission to text, however I have seen the older girls talk about their future and marriage and all agreed that they wouldn't want to be with someone that their parents didn't approve of. If they didn't want to do this, they wouldn't.
I do think they may have some who rebel in the future against their wishes but I honestly think they will be accepting of them. It seems like those are the kind of parents they are. They don't even yell at their children. Never a shout at all. I think they actually have some of the most respectful kids. Unlike some out their today that don't respect anyone at all.
faylynn24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:33 PM   #296
Conservative Hippie
You seem somewhat familiar. Have I threatened you before?
My DH is a nuclear physicist...can you say weirdo???
 
Conservative Hippie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: NE Polk County, FL
Posts: 6,449

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke View Post

I know the thread has moved on from this but if that is the most ridiculous thing I've ever read. They all wore robes (dresses) back then.
I know. That was part of what I avoided saying. In parts of the world men and women both still wear robes, and everyone has seen a man in a kilt.

Sent from me.
__________________
Me ~*~DH ~*~DD (6) ~*~DS (3) ~*~#3 (due 3/8/14)
4 WDW vacations from 2003-2006~*~450 days spent at WDW since 2007~*~2 DCL Cruises since 2011

Conservative Hippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:47 PM   #297
cheer25mom
DIS Veteran
 
cheer25mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 834

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLIrishChick63 View Post
those kids would be kicked out of the family if they ever decided to leave. besides the fact that they don't know how the real world truly works, they'd be lost on their own. they're so sheltered.

oh man....i won't even get into Jim Jones....all i'll say is, towards the end even his "followers" began to see what he truly was...and by that point it was too late for some of them
Yon are 100% correct. Those kids will be shunned if they disobey and they have zero ability to function in the world on their own. It will take an exceptionally brave individual to defy what they have been told and risk being completely on thier own in what they have been taught is a wicked, horrible place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by faylynn24 View Post
I to think its crazy to have to get permission to text, however I have seen the older girls talk about their future and marriage and all agreed that they wouldn't want to be with someone that their parents didn't approve of. If they didn't want to do this, they wouldn't.
I do think they may have some who rebel in the future against their wishes but I honestly think they will be accepting of them. It seems like those are the kind of parents they are. They don't even yell at their children. Never a shout at all. I think they actually have some of the most respectful kids. Unlike some out their today that don't respect anyone at all.
I think you are fooling yourself. They don't have to shout at these kids because they have no will or thoughts that their parents didn't put there. They are completely controlled by them. Look into the discipline methods they advocate. Google the names Gothard and Pearl with discipline. These are the methods of child rearing they advocate. Just for a small snippet, the Pearls advocate beating kids with a plumbing line, because it doesn't leave bruises, and beating them until they smile, because being sad or defiant is selfish. Children should always be pleasant and compliant, no matter what.
cheer25mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:45 PM   #298
luvsJack
DIS Veteran
 
luvsJack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: My own little corner of the world
Posts: 12,842

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLIrishChick63 View Post
a picture frame that once hung in an evil persons home, and an actual photo of said evil person being displayed in your home are two completely different things.
Good grief, the woman owned something that was owned by Hitler and was quite proud of that. Pretty dang close, I would say. So, not really different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLIrishChick63 View Post
i'm pretty sure killing and/or humiliating a person based on their skin color is one of the worst things you could possibly do.

and aside from that i'll stop myself from saying what i'd really like to say.
Please actually read what I said. I didn't say that what the kkk did wasn't evil or bad. What Hitler did was horrible. And what plenty of people did to the Native Americans was also bad. I didn't say the kkk wasn't, I said there are others that did the same or worse. They aren't the ultimate evil over all others, just one of many.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrhpd View Post
So, if you had a portrait of say, Hitler (or Stalin, or any other horrid dictator, slaughterer), that was handed down to you by family, you would hang it prominently in a room dedicated to how you feel about your country and history?

And that you would not expect people to judge you for hanging Hitler's picture in a room dedicated to great history (in your mind)?

OMG. I plainly said that I don't have any such pictures in my house nor do I have Confederate flag. I wouldn't hang any such picture. They choose otherwise and you do not know their reasons, you are assuming.

Not choosing to do something myself doesn't equal assuming the worst of someone who does.
__________________


10 pounds closer to Skinny Island!
luvsJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:22 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: