Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2013, 02:15 PM   #46
Luv Bunnies
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeCantWait View Post
Please allow me to brag a bit! We just finished our run of The Drowsy Chaperone. So sad it's over. My 8th grade son had the lead in the High School Production. He did an incredible job and so did the rest of the cast and crew. This is a video of the finale. He is the Man in Chair. We are really going to miss the seniors leaving this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0au3...ature=youtu.be
Wow! What an awesome production. Your son did a great job. You must be very proud!
Luv Bunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:31 PM   #47
WeCantWait
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv Bunnies View Post
Wow! What an awesome production. Your son did a great job. You must be very proud!
Thank you! I certainly am beyond proud and so happy he was able to have such a wonderful experience!
Register to remove

Old 03-17-2013, 07:32 PM   #48
donac
BL6 Black Team Captain
The Vanilla Rooibus was heavenly
Heigh ho - Heigh ho - It's off to lose weight I go...

We just finished Grease 3 hours ago. The costumes have been sorted and stored and we are done for now. Had such a good time with this cast. They were a lot of fun to work with. Next weekend is the play dinner.
Dona July 1980 with DH family Nov 1984 Last trip before kids Aug 1988 Poly 10th AnnvAug 1992 Port Orleans Other trips I can't nameAug 2002 POFQ, FW, AS sp with Sean and the girls Aug 2003 FW Our 25th Annv Trip Aug 2005 Camping with the Knotts Aug 2006 Twin Sister Trip Aug 2008 30 Anniv/grad Trip 2009 POFQ just us 2012 Grand Gathering with Sedlaks
donac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:12 AM   #49
elgerber
Sometimes you gotta bite the bullet & see a movie alone
Likes to grill year round

Love seeing the videos!!! Great job by everyone!!

Lord help me, this show is such a rollercoaster! I can't even begin to scratch the surface on the struggles our fledgling program has had. And the stress we have had getting these productions done.
We actually left the school Saturday at 8:30 with the set pretty much finished! Hung the last curtains in less than an hour on Sunday, and left by 6! Last year we were there Fri, Sat, Sun and Mon till after 11 each night.
Then we had a blizzard warning yesterday, all the other districts in our area closed. Ours stayed open, yay!!
In the fall they took our entire show budget to put in permanent wiring etc for lights, in our cafetorium space. Left us with almost nothing. Saturday they hook up the lighting equipment, and the new wiring doesn't work! Yesterday they had someone come out, lighting equipment plugs back in last night, and it works!!!
Then my dd gets in the car in tears, saying everything went wrong at rehearsal last night, with others, and with her. She forgot a couple of props, and something else I didn't hear, because she wouldn't talk. Ugh, just breaks me heart, and worries the heck out of me. That's not like her to miss props. But it is like her to end up in tears if something goes wrong. Our student preview show is tomorrow, public opening is Thursday. I sure hope this is like other shows, where things go from terrible to great overnight.
And don't get me started on the tension with the director, producer etc.
Sorry, had to vent, so stressed out and so worried. If tonights rehearsal goes better, I'll feel better, but right now, really concerned.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:13 PM   #50
WorldWacky
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgerber View Post

Lord help me, this show is such a rollercoaster! I can't even begin to scratch the surface on the struggles our fledgling program has had. And the stress we have had getting these productions done.
We actually left the school Saturday at 8:30 with the set pretty much finished! Hung the last curtains in less than an hour on Sunday, and left by 6! Last year we were there Fri, Sat, Sun and Mon till after 11 each night.
Then we had a blizzard warning yesterday, all the other districts in our area closed. Ours stayed open, yay!!
In the fall they took our entire show budget to put in permanent wiring etc for lights, in our cafetorium space. Left us with almost nothing. Saturday they hook up the lighting equipment, and the new wiring doesn't work! Yesterday they had someone come out, lighting equipment plugs back in last night, and it works!!!
Then my dd gets in the car in tears, saying everything went wrong at rehearsal last night, with others, and with her. She forgot a couple of props, and something else I didn't hear, because she wouldn't talk. Ugh, just breaks me heart, and worries the heck out of me. That's not like her to miss props. But it is like her to end up in tears if something goes wrong. Our student preview show is tomorrow, public opening is Thursday. I sure hope this is like other shows, where things go from terrible to great overnight.
Sorry, had to vent, so stressed out and so worried. If tonights rehearsal goes better, I'll feel better, but right now, really concerned.
I can sympathize. I have been directing or choreographing middle and high school productions for the past 11 years. Before I did that, I toured professionally with a theatre based in Virginia. You hear the same thing over and over at all levels...NOTHING seems to be going completely right up until the night of the show. There is something about the energy of a live audience that pumps up the cast and something like a forgotten prop isn't even noticed. Our production of Into the Woods for my 7th and 8th graders was in Feb. and the weather was a nightmare for us too. Hurricane Sandy, blizzards, etc. It was rough. Please tell your daughter to Break-a-leg! And remember, it is what it is. They worked hard and it WILL go well.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:48 PM   #51
WeCantWait
DIS Veteran

Quote:

These shows sure do have a way from going from terrible to great overnight. I'm sure all will be well. Hang in! I know dealing with the worry is so difficult. I hope tonight went better.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:26 AM   #52
Deb in IA
Knows that KIDS are better than cats
When do we leave for that nice long Hawaii vacation?
I'm a wimp, and I don't like food that hurts to eat

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeCantWait View Post
Please allow me to brag a bit! We just finished our run of The Drowsy Chaperone. So sad it's over. My 8th grade son had the lead in the High School Production. He did an incredible job and so did the rest of the cast and crew. This is a video of the finale. He is the Man in Chair. We are really going to miss the seniors leaving this year.

http://youtu.be/H9qhWSnEyXU
That was great! Thanks for posting; I love seeing everyone's videos!

Quote:

Good luck, Erika!

It seems that things hit their low point just before opening, and somehow, things always work out.

But I know it can be so stressful!

"Children are our most valuable natural resource."
- Herbert Hoover, 31st President, native of West Branch, Iowa
Deb in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:35 AM   #53
elgerber

Thanks everyone, official opening night is tonight! Dd is much better, although she fell on Tuesday night, but amazingly wasn't too irritated by that. We still have a couple of tech glitches, but overall much better, and dd seems to be back to her spot on self. Poor Charlie Brown though, he always gets ahead of the music for some reason. Not sure why, but he just can't seem to take the pauses that are supposed to be in the songs.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:17 PM   #54
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!

Break a leg to those who are performing soon!! Another poster said how these shows have a way of going from horrible to fantastic overnight, and I agree!!!

My DS17's show finished last Saturday night, and ended on a fantastic note! They were SO FUNNY!!! The show (A Funny Thing Happened on the way to the Forum) was very funny, albeit a bit off-color for HS kids- but the cast worked together in such a way that they totally played off of each other and they were just hysterical! I was laughing so hard that I cried!

They opened on Wednesday night with a dress rehearsal for senior citizens (traditional here- they give tickets away, and feed the seniors dinner in the lobby prior to the show), then opened to the public on Thursday night. We went to that one- it was really good! Friday night they had a few problems- the lead female had a "brain fart" and forgot the words to her solo song- managed to work it out, but was in tears off stage after.

Saturday night was closing night- and it was the BEST! Everybody brought their A game and they had a ball.

Parents of seniors were invited up on stage for their final bow- in which most of us were bawling- and then there was a Prom proposal! So sweet!!

I can't believe it is over- my DS was a late bloomer to theatre and was only in 3 shows- but he loved every second of it and grew so much during this time!!

I have no video- it isn't "allowed"- but maybe someone snuck some video and I can post some later
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP
marcyinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:52 PM   #55
elgerber

I am on my phone so I don't have these uploaded anywhere but there are some good pictures here...
http://erstarnews.com/2013/03/22/cha...age-at-rogers/
My dd is Lucy. I don't like that it says "had" a 4 day run, when we still have 2 shows left.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:10 PM   #56
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!

Here is a clip that is used to promote the shows that are involved in the local awards show. You have to sit through an ad, but then you will get to the 3 minute clip. My DS was Erroneous, an "old" guy, and had a cameo appearance. He is in the opening number- the guy in the blue shortie pajama outfit and the curly gray wig and dark glasses (because he is supposedly blind...).

A side note about the opening- our school did Les Mis last year, so they added the "tragedy" part, which was especially funny to the locals because our rival school is doing Les Mis THIS year. So it gets cut off, but the lead says "No NO!!! A tragedy at the OTHER school!! A COMEDY tonight!!" It was very funny for those in the know!!

http://www.wfmz.com/features/freddys...88381481237582
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP
marcyinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:08 PM   #57
Deb in IA

Great to see everyone's kids in their productions! Thanks for sharing!

I LOVE those "inside" jokes!

Our son goes to a Catholic school, Regina High School. In "Grease", there is a line from Sandy that she was supposed to go to "Immaculata", but her dad got in a fight with the Mother Superior about her black patent leather shoes.

In the last performance, Sandy changed the lines. She says she was supposed to go to "Regina" but her father got into a fight with "Mr. Plummer" (the principal) about the shoes. it was hilarious!

Old 04-04-2013, 12:06 PM   #58
Deb in IA

So, everyone survive the shows?

It's always so rewarding after they are over, aren't they?

Now, it's on the the High School State Music Association Solo/Small Group Contests!

This is the fourth year DS has participated. In the past, he has always been in groups, but this year, he finally signed up for a solo! And, being a senior, and one of the few basses that can stay in tune, he is also in 5 other groups!!!

So, he has 7 songs to learn in 6 performances for Saturday!!

His solo is "The Roadside Fire" by Ralph Vaughn Williams. He is really working hard on it!

He is also in a mens' quartet that is doing "Beati Mortui" by Mendelssohn - they are the "Million Dollar Quartet" of the school! All 4 boys have great voices, and the choir teacher says they sound so good, she wants them to sing this at her funeral!

The other songs that he is doing are:

What Shall We Do With A Drunken Sailor - Mens' Ensemble
The Morning Trumpet - Mixed Ensemble
All Ye Who Music Love/Never Weather Beaten Saile - Chamber Choir
Ave Maria Gratia Plena - Chamber Choir

Another stressful weekend!

Old 04-08-2013, 06:45 PM   #59
Deb in IA

OK, blatant bragging ahead!

So, we made it through the Small Group/Solo contests.

DS's solo got a "I" (superior) rating!
And . . .
The men's quartet that he sang bass on won "Best of Day" - Outstanding Performance, and is selected to perform at a special recital in Ames on May 15!

Here are some of the performance I uploaded to You Tube:

Roadside Fire (Solo)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSVEH...t=HL1365434180

Beati Mortui (men’s quartet):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUJtV...t=HL1365434180

Drunken Sailor
http://www.youtube.com/edit?video_id=uP6YSUR0sP8&ns=1

The Morning Trumpet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ypR8TNWfaM

All Ye Who Music Love/Never Weather Beaten Saile (Madrigals)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuwGI...eature=mh_lolz

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: