Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2013, 01:04 AM   #1
CalSea12
Desperately needs a dose of the magic!

Keeping Healthy?

So with what I have read on here a lot of people get sick at WDW! So I was looking for ways to try to keep us healthy, like taking Emergen C for a while before we go, taking supplements, wash hands, don't touch railings, bring lots of Clorox wipes, bring antibacterial soap, etc. So me and DH are covered.

But my DD will be 1 year old, so she can not do a lot of the listed above. How do you guys with small kiddos keep them from getting sick, what are your tried and true methods?

Several Trips as a child to DL and DW, 2008-All Star Movies ,2010-Honeymoon Caribbean Beach, November 2013 ASMu
CalSea12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:29 AM   #2
aidtrismommy
DIS Veteran

We do Disney every year and I would get sick every year a few days into our vacation. My sister did some research and we figured out it was most likely from the airplane.
So what she found out was that airplanes are very drying (this is common knowledge actually) so we swabbed our nostrils with neosporin (vaseline will work too) before we got on the plane. When mucus membranes are dried out, they cannot trap bacteria and other stuff trying to invade the body. This is one of our first defenses against germs and when they are dried out, they don't work.
Right as we sat down in our seats, we wiped down our entire row, armrests, seat belts, trays, and seat backs with clorox wipes. (it takes 30 seconds to do this) I also made an effort to stay hydrated during the flight. The first time we tried this method, I did not get sick that trip! So we do this every time and I have been well ever since. My kids have also not gotten sick.
We also wash our hands after using the restroom and before eating and after the rides that use controllers such as TSM.
(If you don't fly, I think you have your bases covered with your current plan)
2010 CBR*2011 BWV*2011 Disney Dream*2012 BCV
2013 OKW*2014 Disney Magic*2014 THV
aidtrismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-01-2013, 11:02 AM   #3
mm1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalSea12 View Post
So with what I have read on here a lot of people get sick at WDW! So I was looking for ways to try to keep us healthy, like taking Emergen C for a while before we go, taking supplements, wash hands, don't touch railings, bring lots of Clorox wipes, bring antibacterial soap, etc. So me and DH are covered.

But my DD will be 1 year old, so she can not do a lot of the listed above. How do you guys with small kiddos keep them from getting sick, what are your tried and true methods?
My suggestion is to regularly wash your hands. Even with DD you should wash her hands when possible. We always wash our hands every few hours, before meals, after restroom obviously and it seems to work pretty well.

The toughest part is on the plane if you are flying. The air is recycled, spreading anything in the air around. We usually use a nasal spray to keep our mucus membranes wet and that seems to help. Don't remember the actual name, it is Ocean something in an orange box. Just make sure you buy the smallest package in order to get through security.

I know a lot of people use bacterial gels. Remember that this also kills the good bacteria that help prevent illness as well. Washing your hands regularly with soap and water has always been the suggestion of health care workers we know.

Have a fun vacation.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:11 PM   #4
CalSea12
Desperately needs a dose of the magic!

We are flying so I def think we will have to use the advice given, thanks. I think we will also be washing her hands all the time, the last thing I want is for her to get sick.

Thanks

Several Trips as a child to DL and DW, 2008-All Star Movies ,2010-Honeymoon Caribbean Beach, November 2013 ASMu
CalSea12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:44 AM   #5
PosadaGirl519
Mouseketeer

Sleep sleep sleep sleep sleep... always get a good night's rest and allow the little one to take plenty of naps.

March 1985 OP
, March 1988 OP, March 1991 OP, Christmas 1993 OP, January 1999 OP, March 2005 OP, August 2008 AllSS, May 2009 '29th Birthday Celebration' POR, December 2009 'Fairy Tale Wedding' AKL, November 2011 'Quinn's 1st Birthday' SSTHV , March 2013 'Kennedy's 1st Birthday' BWV, October 2013 'Cary's 35th Birthday Present'
PosadaGirl519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:56 AM   #6
ThreeBeans
Now with FOUR Beans

Wash your hands. A lot.

Don't use anti-bacterial soap. It contributes to super-bugs, and won't do anything regular soap won't do for the stuff you need to be worried about: viruses.

Wash your hands regularly. Keep your hands away from your face. You can't keep a 1 year old from putting her hands in her mouth, so I'd just baby wipe her paws frequently.

ThreeBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:29 AM   #7
ABtwinmommy
Mouseketeer

I give my kids elderberry syrup (see link below). It is a natural immunity booster, and so far I really think it works. The bottle gives dosing for 1yr+. Also vitamins, probiotics, healthy diet, and good hand hygiene. I also agree with wiping down the area on the plane.

http:/www.amazon.com/Natures-Way-Sambucus-Berry-Flavored/dp/B001GKUH24/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1359810619&sr=8-2&keywords=elderberry+syrup
Planning next trip to my happy place ~ Jan/Feb 2014-CR/BC
ABtwinmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:40 AM   #8
theduck619
DDC 188
I love that middle crease between the two straight sections
It's a secret passge to a man cave

Lots of hand washing! When our DD's were little we took afternoon breaks back at the room so we could all nap. It helped tremendously in keeping up our energy.

DisDad Member #188

We are home!- 12/9/14 Follow the adventure at:
http://nicelyfamilyadoptionadventure.blogspot.com
theduck619 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: