Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2010, 03:44 PM   #1
jvmbmc
Earning My Ears

Can you pre-pay tips on DCL?

My first Disney cruise will be Feb 2011 during presidents week. I've been on NCL and RCCL and have always prepaid gratuities. I was wondering if I can do the same on DCL and how it would work? If not, do I need to bring cash and envelopes? Will they remind me of suggested amounts and who gets the tips once I'm on the cruise? I should say it's only a 3 nighter, the first 4 nights will be at BLT.

1973 Fort Wilderness ,Sept '03 AKL, Dec '05 WL , Jan '07 VWL ,
Jun '07 Swan , Aug '07 BCV , Jun '10 BWV , Feb '11 BLT and DCL
jvmbmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 03:54 PM   #2
disneyfaninaz
It takes faith, trust & pixie dust!

Yes, you can. You need to call DCL and let them know that's what you want to do. If you booked through a TA, they would have to call for you.
disneyfaninaz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-24-2010, 04:31 PM   #3
jvmbmc
Earning My Ears

OK, thanks for the info. I'll try giving DCL a call, I booked online so I don't except much help there.

1973 Fort Wilderness ,Sept '03 AKL, Dec '05 WL , Jan '07 VWL ,
Jun '07 Swan , Aug '07 BCV , Jun '10 BWV , Feb '11 BLT and DCL
jvmbmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 05:40 PM   #4
NavyDotz
Disney & Doughboy- so that's where all my money went!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfaninaz View Post
Yes, you can. You need to call DCL and let them know that's what you want to do. If you booked through a TA, they would have to call for you.
your TA would have to do that even if you've finished paying 4 the cruise? just wondering bc i want 2 pay in advance as well

NavyDotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 01:26 AM   #5
HermanTriplets+1
DIS Veteran

What are recommended rates for tips, for servers, room service, etc??
HermanTriplets+1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 01:57 AM   #6
ilovedevin
Mouseketeer

this is very cool

http://cruisetip.tpkeller.com/

ilovedevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:28 AM   #7
clten
DIS Veteran

You can handle tips several ways. You can pre-pay them before you get on the ship (this is what the PP was saying). Or once you get on board, you can go to Guest Services and have them put on your shipboard account (this is similar to what most cruiselines do -- but they automatically charge them to your room, DCL does not). You can wait until you get a sheet in your room about tipping (this will list for you the recommended tips for each position), fill this out and drop it off at Guest Services. If you do any of these methods, you will get tickets (either given to you at GS or delivered to your room if you pre-pay or drop off the sheet).

When it comes to actually tipping, DCL supplies envelopes pre-printed for the 4 tippable positions (these are delivered to your room with your disembarkation packet). If you are using cash, you just put the cash in there and seal it. If you've charged your tips, take half the ticket they give you and put it in the envelope (the other half is your receipt and is handy if you sail again and want to request the same server as it has their full name on the ticket). Envelopes are generally given to the crew on the last night at dinner.

NavyDotz - once you've booked with a TA, DCL expects to interact only with the TA (that's what they are paying the TA for). So the first time you will interact with DCL about your reservation is when you check in at the port.
clten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:31 AM   #8
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

I don't pay for things in advance unless I have to, so I add the tips to my shipboard account. I like to spread out paying for things.
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 04:50 PM   #9
NavyDotz
Disney & Doughboy- so that's where all my money went!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clten View Post
NavyDotz - once you've booked with a TA, DCL expects to interact only with the TA (that's what they are paying the TA for). So the first time you will interact with DCL about your reservation is when you check in at the port.
thanks 4 that info!

NavyDotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:29 AM   #10
IamAnniM
Part of the Crew - Part of the Ship

I used to pre-pay my gratuities until my most recent cruise. In all past cruises, I had great service and all hostess and dinner attendants were friendly and very sociable. My last cruise, I couldn't find my waiter half the time and the dinner host only to our table on the first night and last night (for his tip)
I found the service was poor, they were not providing any exceptional service and were sometimes combative when it came to ordering something extra from the menu.
I've NEVER had any problems with my other 4 cruises on Disney but the last one I did not care for the dinner service. I still tipped accordingly but I will be paying cash this time.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: