Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2013, 03:47 PM   #31
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDSearcher View Post
...but Disney's got to balance that off being sure that only the people who deserve AP benefits are actually getting them.
Sure... but WDW also has an obligation to ensure that those entitled to benefits can actually get those benefits, too. I haven't seen anything here that spells out how that would happen for someone without ID. Which, of course, doesn't mean that WDW doesn't have a way of taking care of it, only that no one here has posted what that is. When or if we ever encounter such a situation, I'll be sure to report back on how it's handled!

I run Disney!
Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015
Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014, 2015 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014, 2015 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012
Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012
PrincessV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:53 PM   #32
WDSearcher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessV View Post
Sure... but WDW also has an obligation to ensure that those entitled to benefits can actually get those benefits, too. I haven't seen anything here that spells out how that would happen for someone without ID. Which, of course, doesn't mean that WDW doesn't have a way of taking care of it, only that no one here has posted what that is. When or if we ever encounter such a situation, I'll be sure to report back on how it's handled!
wdwislife did provide one solution: When I find myself in this situation I flag down my closest manager and explain the situation and they generally quickly approve it and allow me to give the discount. It's a bit of a hassle, I know!

Flag down a manager.

WDSearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-02-2013, 04:15 PM   #33
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

I couldn't figure out why anyone was showing their AP for the free parking-we never have had to. You must all be either staying off-site or are locals, right? We always stay at a WDW resort and get the parking permit-that includes free parking at the parks still, doesn't it?
Old 07-02-2013, 05:12 PM   #34
MrsNnr
Earning My Ears as a Mommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba's Mom View Post
I couldn't figure out why anyone was showing their AP for the free parking-we never have had to. You must all be either staying off-site or are locals, right? We always stay at a WDW resort and get the parking permit-that includes free parking at the parks still, doesn't it?

Correct.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:48 AM   #35
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?

Quote:
wdwislife did provide one solution: When I find myself in this situation I flag down my closest manager and explain the situation and they generally quickly approve it and allow me to give the discount. It's a bit of a hassle, I know!

Flag down a manager.
I missed that post entirely - thank you! Yep, exactly what I'd do if it ever happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba's Mom View Post
You must all be either staying off-site or are locals, right?
Both - I'm semi-local, so we often do day trips. I also often stay off-site. I rarely use my parking pass even when I do stay on-site because I find its reflection on my windshield distracting; easier to just show my AP. Well, it used to be easier. Might go with the parking pass from now on when I'm on-site.

I run Disney!
Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015
Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014, 2015 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014, 2015 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012
Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012
PrincessV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:00 AM   #36
rluey29
Wish I was in Disney, Hooray, Hooray!!!

We have been going to WDW since 2005, multiple trips and almost every weekend since we moved here and never had a parking attendant ask for ID. Until May of this year, my wife didn't have her DL with her, we had to pay for parking, they took her AP and we had to pay for her to get in the park. We asked when they started requiring Id's and the CM said that weekend they were told to do it from then on, She said someone was caught cheating the system with fraud.

So We will have her ID from now on even though we got our money back for everything from guest relations. My pass is Seasonal so I don't have free parking.
2009 Pop Century
2010 Off-site (June)
2010 Were moving to Florida!!! (August)
2010-present living about 35 minutes from Disney! (every weekend)
2011-first time camping at Fort Wilderness!!!
rluey29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:11 AM   #37
TJBerry
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rluey29 View Post
We have been going to WDW since 2005, multiple trips and almost every weekend since we moved here and never had a parking attendant ask for ID. Until May of this year, my wife didn't have her DL with her, we had to pay for parking, they took her AP and we had to pay for her to get in the park. We asked when they started requiring Id's and the CM said that weekend they were told to do it from then on, She said someone was caught cheating the system with fraud.

So We will have her ID from now on even though we got our money back for everything from guest relations. My pass is Seasonal so I don't have free parking.
The parking attendant confiscated her AP because she didn't have her ID?
TJBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:50 AM   #38
rluey29
Wish I was in Disney, Hooray, Hooray!!!

Yes, she said her supervisor had told them to do so because people were cheating the system. She had to show ID to get her new pass the next day when we came back at MK.
2009 Pop Century
2010 Off-site (June)
2010 Were moving to Florida!!! (August)
2010-present living about 35 minutes from Disney! (every weekend)
2011-first time camping at Fort Wilderness!!!
rluey29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:00 AM   #39
Suellen
DIS Veteran

We've been asked once in the last 50(ish) times through the parking gates. I wouldn't say it is the new norm... but we do always have it out just in case.
Suellen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:35 AM   #40
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubriee View Post
We were there May 10th-20th and was asked to show ID, but only sporadically that week (maybe four or five times). The first time they asked for ID, my husband had handed them his AP, but was sitting on his wallet, so without thinking, when the CM asked for ID, I just handed him mine. The CM took a glance at it, gave us a disgusted look and said he needed either my husband's ID or else my AP. I then handed him my AP. He was the only CM that bent down and really looked at me and the ID. He was really rude about it too. They were the new APs with the parking stripe on them, so they knew they were current and valid for parking and my last name is the same as my husband's. Sorry, I just wasn't thinking. After that I just made sure I handed them my AP with my ID. Most barely glanced at them and no others really looked into the car at me. Most days they didn't even ask for ID, but after that first day, we just made sure we had them handy. We did ask one CM why they were asking for ID sporadically, and he stated too many AP holders were letting friends and family use their APs, so Disney was cracking down. He did laugh and tell us to be sure and not loan our APs out to anyone to try to get into the parks, because if we were caught Disney would take up the annual passes and we would not be able to get them back. Huh, all we asked was why we were having to show ID to park when we never have had to before. I'd never loan our APs out. I'm not stupid!
Quote:
Originally Posted by disnut8 View Post
I'm not sure why you were upset the last attendant was joking with you. You already knew to have your ID out and it was an innocent remark to your question. I would have laughed and continued on. I'm sure they get asked that question a hundred times a day and have to have some way to deal with it. It was a harmless joke.
I wasn't upset. Actually I thought it was funny. At the same time though, it crossed my mind, 'does this guy really think I'm that stupid?'. I would assume that if Disney caught someone with an AP that didn't belong to them, that they would confiscate it. At least I hope they would. No way would I ever "loan" my AP out to someone else.
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:11 AM   #41
cruisingkat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I understand your point, but in the long run it does protect AP holders. Say your son lost his AP. Someone else picks it up and uses it to buy stuff and get discounts. The CM doing the check-out just accepts it -- never asks for ID. Someone could get discounts off your son's AP for the entire year. Even if they couldn't use it to get into the parks, they'd still have a perk that they didn't deserve and didn't pay for. It's inconvenient, maybe, but Disney's got to balance that off being sure that only the people who deserve AP benefits are actually getting them.

Someone who picks it up would only be able to use until you report it lost. I lost my AP and when I went to get another shortly after losing it, I asked what happens to the old one if someone finds it. The CM told me that they invalidate the lost card so nobody can use it and all the information from that lost card is transferred to the new card.

As far as people not carrying an ID - I don't even take a walk around the block without carrying some ID just in case. I always think what if something happened to me and I didn't have an ID. Even when I am with my DH, I still carry one -for example, you might not be together at Disney when something could happen.

Last edited by cruisingkat; 07-04-2013 at 10:24 AM.
cruisingkat is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: