Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2010, 08:37 AM   #31
alicia080979
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyRah View Post
If you have time to have tickets mailed to you, Dave and Jimmy's Gimmies currently has a 4 ticket package for $27 for the zoo only, making it $6.75 a person, probably the lowest price you'll find for tickets.
Do you know if that is a legit site? When I go to it, my antivirus keeps saying there is a trojan horse. Sounds like a good deal but I want to make sure it isnt too good to be true!

June 2014-Quick trip for SWW then off to the beach!

September 2014-Beach Club Villas for 11 days of Magic!

Me DH DD (6mo) DS (16) Ellie :
alicia080979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:27 PM   #32
DisneyMissy318
DIS Veteran

Priceline Rocks!!

Wanted to post an update - we have found a place to stay!! After doing some research on Priceline about hotel ratings and stars and locations - I decided to give it a try this morning.

We got the Hyatt Place in Dublin for $45/night!!! using Name Your Price. ($166 after taxes = $55/night). (Our dates are 7/29 - 8/1). This is the website! http://columbusdublin.place.hyatt.co...ns.jsp?start=2

I looked at the star ratings and found that the 3 1/2 star hotels such as the Sheraton, Hilton, Crowne did not include breakfast or have free internet. So I decided to start with the 3 star properties which in most cases did have those amenities. I decided to start with $45 thinking it would kick out and I would have to add another area and go again - but to my surprise - $45 was accepted!

Our plan right now is the Columbus Zoo, the State Fair, CoSI, and shopping - the only restaurant request so far is from DD - On the Border. So... I think we are set.

Thanks again to all of you who offered your tips - we look forward to spending time in your area!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-26-2010, 01:31 PM   #33
Sarah7401
Mouseketeer

I couldn't find Drury Inn and Suites on Priceline. ??? Was I just doing it wrong? I haven't dealt with Priceline that much so I was pretty much flying blind.
Sarah7401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:54 PM   #34
Tinker'n'Fun
"apple", peaches, "pumpkin pie", who's not ready holler "I"...
i'm just trying to be optimistic!
I am SO CLUELESS and I hate it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah7401 View Post
I couldn't find Drury Inn and Suites on Priceline. ??? Was I just doing it wrong? I haven't dealt with Priceline that much so I was pretty much flying blind.
I booked Drury straight from their website. Not sure what you want to pay but using their codes, (just google Drury codes), we had a 2 room suite for $85.00 a night. The main bedroom had two queens, and the living room had a sofa sleeper and two overstuffed chairs.

The hot breakfast included, bisquicks and sawmill gravy, eggs with ham and cheese on the side to make scrambled egg omelettes, french toast, and belguim waffle makers, all the regulars - fruit yogurt, muffins, toast, bagels, etc.

The pop machine was on from 3-10pm with a popcorn machine also.

Evening snacks the nights when we were there (weekends nights are always the same) were baked potatoes, hot dogs, and chili. Also on a seperate area was celery, carrots, chips, salsa, etc. Adults get a card and can get 3 mixed drinks/beer/wine per evening. Mixed drinks were a little limited I think (I don't drink). This was all included in your room price...

Also had:

Free internet that was not too bad and ethernet cable installed in the room if needed.

A very small workout room, - 2/3 treadmills, one cycle.

A pool and hot-tub, small but adequate.

Very clean rooms.

Toiletries were provided and some extra's were offered if you asked.

We are going back for DS's bday and I was going to look around for a cheaper room, but the more I think about the perks, I am just going to book at Drury again.
Tinker'n'Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:47 AM   #35
Sarah7401
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the great info on the Drury!! We definitely want a suite because we're going to let our son bring a friend. Does the bedroom have a TV as well? Fridge/microwave in room?
Sarah7401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:48 PM   #36
figaro2tigger
Earning My Ears

Welcome to Columbus!

Per the current weather forecast-there are supposed to be thunderstorms on Sat-since it's the weather, consider that subject to change.

Here are some money saving tips for this weekend:

COSI : This Friday is Family Friday night-$8 per person includes all of the regular exhibits and the IMAX Dolphins etc. 5-9pm Only the last Friday of the month is Family night-check out the website to decide. There may be AAA or discount tickets at Kroger. The regular exhibits are NOT FREE unless you are a COSI member.

The Ohio State Fair
normal prices $5 to park-$10 per adult, $8 child Kroger tickets $6 good ONLY for the date on the ticket (if buying for Friday on Thursday-be certain the Kroger Customer Service person knows this.) Pick up a schedule booklet at Kroger to plan your day.
By the Dairy barns is a brick building that has DAIRY written on the concrete-this is where the butter cow and other sculptures are located and the largest scoops of ice cream for the price, made for the fair. The strawberry comes with strawberries in it-get a cup-I've never seen anyone be able to eat a cone without dripping.
There are lots of animal related activities at the fair besides the shows and barns. Purina sponsors a rescue dog show that is wonderful=they perform agility routines. The Natural Resources park has rescued/rehabilitating animals, multiple shows, fishing(which you won't want to do since they will hold/freeze your fish to take home). Petting zoo, pig races, the Annheiser Busch Clydesdales team (by the Cardinel entrance) and lots more.

Thurs. July 29th $4 per ticket with your Kroger card at the Fair entrance (you can get a Kroger card at the Kroger Customer Service desk)
Fri July 30th $4 per ticket with each losing Ohio Lottery Ticket (you can probably find these in the parking lot at Kroger's or they start at $1)
Sunday Aug 1 Military Veterans and Active service with ID enter Free (buy the other tickets at Krogers

Check the schedule for corporate activities-Ford usually has some cool freebies for playing games, Rockband was really nice last year, there are quite a few on any one day, but most don't stay for the entire fair.

There are tractor pulled seats that will take you from the parking area to the fair-remember the COLOR and # where you park
The Ohio Historical Society is also on the fairgrounds for an additional cost and the Columbus Crew Soccer stadium is at one end of the fairgrounds.

Polaris: Cheesecake Factory has promos on Thurs and Fri this week only,
if you "friend" them on Facebook, cheesecake is $1.50 per slice on Thurs only(you have to print something after you "friend". Friday, cheesecake is half price all day-you can get it to go.

Enjoy!
figaro2tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:19 PM   #37
DisneyMissy318
DIS Veteran

HOW COOL!!!! Thanks so much for the extra info!! We will DEFINITELY be taking advantage of these cost cutters!! AWESOME!! Leaving in the morning - excited to get away for all of the new stuff we'll see! Thanks!
Old 07-28-2010, 01:37 PM   #38
SDSorority
I was traumatized as a child by Magic Journeys and The Haunted Mansion. **I have a LGMH with me at all times.** {Is it Podcast day yet??}

Location: The home of the Buckeyes! 975 Miles too far away from Epcot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicia080979 View Post
Do you know if that is a legit site? When I go to it, my antivirus keeps saying there is a trojan horse. Sounds like a good deal but I want to make sure it isnt too good to be true!
This is legit. Dave and Jimmy are 2 DJ's at WNCI- I listen to them every morning

Planning a trip for 2015. Not sure where to stay yet.... probably either BC or the Poly Villas if they're done by then
SDSorority is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:41 PM   #39
SDSorority
I was traumatized as a child by Magic Journeys and The Haunted Mansion. **I have a LGMH with me at all times.** {Is it Podcast day yet??}

Location: The home of the Buckeyes! 975 Miles too far away from Epcot.

OH and I loooove that there is a thread on here about Columbus! O-H! See may avatar? The Swan is my home away from home... this is ACTUALLY home!!

Planning a trip for 2015. Not sure where to stay yet.... probably either BC or the Poly Villas if they're done by then
SDSorority is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:54 PM   #40
Tinker'n'Fun
"apple", peaches, "pumpkin pie", who's not ready holler "I"...
i'm just trying to be optimistic!
I am SO CLUELESS and I hate it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah7401 View Post
Thanks for the great info on the Drury!! We definitely want a suite because we're going to let our son bring a friend. Does the bedroom have a TV as well? Fridge/microwave in room?
There is a TV in the bedroom and one in the living room. The bathroom is when you first come in so, part of the living area. In the TV stand is a small microwave and a refrigerator that will hold drinks and leftovers. Not a full size, like the $10.00 ones at Disney. But remember they are in the actual sleeping area, not a seperate kitchen area. We still really loved our room.
Tinker'n'Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:55 PM   #41
DisneyRah
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicia080979 View Post
The certificates are all sold out now, but it is a legit site. It's run by the local radio station here, WNCI (97.9). They offer discount certificates every week, as do other local radio stations, like Sunny95.
DisneyRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:00 PM   #42
dimimi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMissy318 View Post
Wow! Thanks for that info! DD is 12 - and she is ALL about the animals! We live in VA - we have a season pass to Busch Gardens & Water Country - and she hasn't shown any interest in going to a Water Park - being an only child, I'm sure it would be more fun with a friend.

I'll definitely show her the website for COSI and see what she thinks. The State Park sounds good too!

Thanks for all of the zoo info! She was looking over the website last night and was very excited - now we are all looking forward to it!

I did see that Columbus has a Disney Store - does anyone know how far Polaris is from Dublin or the Zoo area? I try to get my fix whenever I can!

Loving all of the responses! Thanks again!

Polaris is straight up the road from the zoo. We live minutes from the zoo. There are a lot of nice stores at Polaris and a lot of restaurants to choose from. There are hotels near Polaris and good hotels also in Dublin.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:04 PM   #43
DisneyRah
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMissy318 View Post
Our plan right now is the Columbus Zoo, the State Fair, CoSI, and shopping - the only restaurant request so far is from DD - On the Border. So... I think we are set.
Since you're planning on going to On The Border, I'd recommend signing up for their Club Cantina (but do it a few days before if you can) and they'll send you a coupon for a free bowl of Queso or free Empanadas (although what you can get for free might have changed since I signed up last year). You have to print it, but I believe all Hyatt Place's offer the use of a printer for free.
DisneyRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:41 PM   #44
DisneyMissy318
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the advice about On the Border - already a member and have my coupon printed!!

Again - thanks for all of the wonderful tips! We can't wait to leave in the AM!
Old 08-11-2010, 07:32 AM   #45
DisneyMissy318
DIS Veteran

Thank You!!

Just wanted to post a Big THANKS! to all of you who shared your knowledge and tips about visiting Columbus! We had a great time - and we would LOVE to go back one day and catch the things we missed! The hotel was great - especially for my Priceline rate! We went to the Zoo and the State Fair - we went to 2 different malls for back to school shopping - we ate at On the Border, Dave & Barry's, Panera and our fav Japan House (next door to our hotel). We would have been lost without the info from you guys!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: