Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2012, 01:25 PM   #1
Mickeygolf
DIS Veteran

What happens if your car breaks down???

We're staying at POR arriving 8/4. We always fly, but we decided to do the family truckster trip with the whole crew driving from Iowa to WDW (think Vacation, I'm Clark Griswold). What happens if you have car trouble of any kind or some other circumstance that doesn't allow you to show up on your arrival day? Never thought about this with flying so I suppose we've been lucky.

I don't anticipate any problems but you just never know what can happen. Will they cancel the whole reservation, charge us for the night we don't spend there, etc. Just curious. We're DVC members so we haven't stayed at one of the other resorts for years. Thanks!!!
Old 05-10-2012, 01:34 PM   #2
gwynne
DIS Veteran

We get our car serviced, oil changed before a big trip.
I make sure I have our AAA card with us, and it's paid for another year.

If all else fails, keep the phone # for WDW handy, as well as your reservation #. You can always call and explain the situation, see what they say.

Here's hoping the Griswalds have a wonderful, uneventful drive down.

TY Kook
Trip planning is half the fun! Ad astra per aspera ~Ginny~
gwynne is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-10-2012, 01:51 PM   #3
Maggie'sMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeygolf View Post
We're staying at POR arriving 8/4. We always fly, but we decided to do the family truckster trip with the whole crew driving from Iowa to WDW (think Vacation, I'm Clark Griswold). What happens if you have car trouble of any kind or some other circumstance that doesn't allow you to show up on your arrival day? Never thought about this with flying so I suppose we've been lucky.

I don't anticipate any problems but you just never know what can happen. Will they cancel the whole reservation, charge us for the night we don't spend there, etc. Just curious. We're DVC members so we haven't stayed at one of the other resorts for years. Thanks!!!
You aren't picking Aunt Edna up on the way down, are you?

But if anything should happen, just call Disney and talk to them about what's delaying you. They'll work with you. I'm not sure if they'll still charge you for that night. I suspect they might, but they won't cancel your reservation. They've certainly dealt with things like this before. Even if someone is flying, there are flight delays and cancellations that cause people to not arrive on their check-in day.
Maggie'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:30 PM   #4
cruisingkat
DIS Veteran

Yes, definitely call Disney to let them know that you will be late. Our daughter and children and one of her friends were flying down for the Princess half marathon, but their flight got cancelled because of the projected blizzard in Chicago. So they ended up driving down and arrived a day later than planned. We were already down there as we drove and left a couple of days before she was flying down. We went down to the front desk and let them know. They told us that they were glad we let them know as they would hold their rooms and not cancel their reservation. It was a very good thing that we were able to do this as Disney rooms were totally sold out that weekend due to the race and NBA All-Star game and I am sure that in all the worries and checking out different ways to get down to Disney, the last thing on her mind would be letting Disney know that she would not be there the first night. As it was, it ended up taking her over 24 hours to drive to Disney - they had to change rental cars in Nashville because the rental had a flat tire.

Last edited by cruisingkat; 05-10-2012 at 02:37 PM.
cruisingkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:22 PM   #5
Shagley
If you don't move when I say "beep beep", I will run you down.

That happened to us a few years ago. The van was 1 year old with 36,000 miles on it. We had it serviced and the oil changed before we left. Well, the engine blew out in Macon, GA. To make a very, very long story short, we called Disney and it was no problem at all. We didn't get charged for that night, and we checked in the next day without a hitch. However, they might not be as understanding if this happens to someone who has free dining and the promotion expires on the day they were supposed to check in.

Shagley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:14 PM   #6
disnut8
DIS Veteran

OK - gotta say you are really reaching here. Do cars break down? Yes, but to even think about it before you leave on your trip that's not until August? Is the car that bad? But you've never been delayed when flying? I've driven to Disney World the past 11 years (8 hour trip) and never had a problem. Before that, I flew in from Nebraska and had to postpone the trip once because of a hurricane and another time had to fly into Tampa because our flight from St. Louis was cancelled.

Get AAA, and if you HAVE to be stuck on the side of the road somewhere, Disney will understand. But I seriously doubt it's going to happen.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:55 PM   #7
BigKid45
Mouseketeer

Get trip insurance..thru Disney...thru AAA..thru any reputable company like Access America. The cost for a WDW vacation is less than $150 and gives you peace of mind that your investment is covered. Trip cancellation is up to the purchase amount of your trip, travel/trip delay is like $800. During the Valentine's Day snow storm in 2007 we missed 3 days of vacation waiting for the next flight to Orlando,,,had to pay for 2 nights hotel that we didn't even use and lost our rental car. We don't plan a trip without travel insurance now.

One other thought...rent a car with unlimited mileage and drive that down to WDW? It's an additional cost, but you'd have a relatively new car with low miles and the rental car folks are on the hook for any breakdowns.

WDW-'72 & '73 Offsite, '05 & '06 Offsite, '08 WL-Club, '09 ASMu-FS, '10 Pop, '12 Windsor Hills, '13 POR
DL-Offsite every Oct 1974-1987 (Corp. Nites)
BigKid45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: