Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2013, 08:53 PM   #2791
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxlbarrel View Post
I think the chocolate tasting is paired with alcohol such as whiskey, brandy, etc. I don't drink but I love chocolate but it was $30 so I knew booze was involved. Lol. I didn't sign up for it.
Wow, that's some booze! Might have been interesting to see what they paired the chocolate with but if you don't drink, that's a lot of chocolate you can buy elsewhere.
890537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:58 PM   #2792
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb in IA View Post
Yes, we were a bit disappointed, as we purchased the Shutters CD and would have liked more photos of the excusions.

I did see some other families with excursion photos, but not a lot. I wonder if they were on the family excursions - we tried to book mostly "adult only" ones.

You were the Family of the Day? How cool! We saw you (and were green with envy) get on. How did you get this?
This was our first experience with the tastings, and DH really enjoyed them. I can't drink that much - I get the "Asian flush". I didn't know you could sign up for them all at the beginning of the cruise, and by the time we got to them, some were already filled. Oh well, we will be better prepared next time!

Oh, and if nasty old lady was a Platinum, wouldn't she know about the wait list?
Yeah, we were family of the day. Still can't believe we were that lucky. We've never gotten at the port that early (before boarding) so we had no idea this was even possible. I think they (DCL) just picks a family randomly. I didn't realize until a recent cruise you can sign up for the tastings ahead of time. Used to think you had to see it in the navigator first.

I think with the wait list that it's possible they started it way after the event was sold out. When I went up to sign up, I was just told to check back (it was pretty early in the cruise). Possibly so many inquired that they started a wait list. How could they possibly know who was interested that they missed? I never bothered checking back. We just bought chocolate in any port we could find it and had our own tasting (the chocolate from the chocolate museum was my favorite).
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-09-2013, 09:00 PM   #2793
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxlbarrel View Post
We thought it questionable to use a black background for semi formal photos with formally dressed Mickey and Donald.
We thought so too and were sad about it because it was a really good shot of my husband and I. I just figured it was me and the professionals knew better. Ha!
Old 07-11-2013, 12:12 AM   #2794
ImprovGal
No animals were harmed in the making of the dinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 890537 View Post
Wow, that's some booze! Might have been interesting to see what they paired the chocolate with but if you don't drink, that's a lot of chocolate you can buy elsewhere.
My friend and I did the chocolate tasting on this cruise. There were 4 cups of melted chocolate (chocolate caramel, dark, white, and dark/white blended to form milk chocolate) as well as the melting wafers themselves. There were 4 beverages that I can recall to pair with the chocolates -- a dry sparkling wine paired with the chocolate caramel, port paired with the milk chocolate, a red wine paired with the dark chocolate, and whiskey paired with the white chocolate. The presenter was excellent and provided us with some random chocolate facts and well as talking us through the tasting.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:13 AM   #2795
Deb in IA
Knows that KIDS are better than cats
When do we leave for that nice long Hawaii vacation?
I'm a wimp, and I don't like food that hurts to eat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImprovGal View Post
My friend and I did the chocolate tasting on this cruise. There were 4 cups of melted chocolate (chocolate caramel, dark, white, and dark/white blended to form milk chocolate) as well as the melting wafers themselves. There were 4 beverages that I can recall to pair with the chocolates -- a dry sparkling wine paired with the chocolate caramel, port paired with the milk chocolate, a red wine paired with the dark chocolate, and whiskey paired with the white chocolate. The presenter was excellent and provided us with some random chocolate facts and well as talking us through the tasting.
Cool!

Not sure if DH would have liked that. He likes the drinks, but is not a big chocolate fan - I know, weird, right?

"Children are our most valuable natural resource."
- Herbert Hoover, 31st President, native of West Branch, Iowa
Deb in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:28 PM   #2796
meb51
Mouseketeer

Quote:
That's a great description of the chocolate tasting. We also did this but we were back to back and did it on the next cruise. The alcohol was supposed to alter the taste of the chocolate. I think I noticed some difference for the first pairing but after that I didn't really notice a difference (The chocolate tasted equally good. ) A Swedish parmesan cheese was also served (aged only 60 days as opposed to Italian parmesan cheese). I think I liked that even more than the chocolate.

Deb in Iowa, you posted

Mark has been on Facebook, and I think he was catching up with his new friends. He really had a good time with the 18-21 group!

You might recall that my son, Will, was in that group and he thought they were a really great group of kids! I hope Mark is recovering nicely from his wisdom teeth surgery. I know that is in Will's near future.

Marie
meb51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:27 PM   #2797
Deb in IA
Knows that KIDS are better than cats
When do we leave for that nice long Hawaii vacation?
I'm a wimp, and I don't like food that hurts to eat

Quote:
Originally Posted by meb51 View Post
Deb in Iowa, you posted

Mark has been on Facebook, and I think he was catching up with his new friends. He really had a good time with the 18-21 group!

You might recall that my son, Will, was in that group and he thought they were a really great group of kids! I hope Mark is recovering nicely from his wisdom teeth surgery. I know that is in Will's near future.

Marie
Hi Marie!

Yes, I think it was a great group of kids who really bonded over the cruise. I hope we get to see some of them again sometime.

Mark's iPhone somehow died during the cruise, and we had to get it replaced when we got back, so I think he wasn't on Facebook as much until he got his phone back.

And his sister took a hilarious video of Mark after his wisdom teeth surgery, when he was still on drugs - I think it is a bit too inappropriate to post here!

"Children are our most valuable natural resource."
- Herbert Hoover, 31st President, native of West Branch, Iowa
Deb in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:26 PM   #2798
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Nice! Thanks for the description. I'd have loved that! Guess I need to make sure that I book early next time as I'd really enjoy this. I'm hoping this fall to attend the chocolate tasting (not sure of the exact name) during food and wine. It falls this year during our time there and I try never to turn down chocolate :-)
Old 07-22-2013, 09:23 AM   #2799
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

I hung my shadowbox in my office today.

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:57 PM   #2800
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzdisneymom View Post
Mine is fixed and I moved it upstairs to my office/creativity center, but haven't yet decided where it should go. Put some new photos in frames...

Back to the Med 2013 Greece Itinerary. We're back!!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2871334
"Dreamy" 15th Anniversary TR!:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3004870
MinnieDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:58 PM   #2801
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

What about the lithographs? Do you guys frame them or do something with them?

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013

Last edited by nzdisneymom; 07-23-2013 at 03:36 PM.
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:09 PM   #2802
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner

Quote:
I frame them. I measured the dimensions and promptly left the piece of paper at home. Need to go out again and get it done.

Back to the Med 2013 Greece Itinerary. We're back!!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2871334
"Dreamy" 15th Anniversary TR!:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3004870
MinnieDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:20 AM   #2803
lllpath
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I frame ours. I use the same mat color and match the frame as much as possible to the other lithos we have received for inaugural cruises we have been on. This makes 5 lithos and they are all hung on one long wall. Sure wish 'Ducky' had been on the cruise to sign this one.

We put a pocket on the back of the frame to hold the certificate,etc.
2013 - Magic's 1st Greek Islands
2012 - Magic - Canada
2011 - Dream Maiden Voyage and Thanksgiving on the Dream
2010 - Magic's 1st Northern European
2007 - Magic's 1st Medi and Christmas on the Magic (Eastern)
2006 - Spring break on the Magic - Western
2005 - Magic's 1st Mexican riviera
2004 - Wonder 3 day family reunion
2003 - land and sea - Grand Floridian/Wonder and Wonder 4-day Christmas
lllpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:35 AM   #2804
mindelmouse
Rabid Disnoid's Spouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieDiva View Post

I frame them. I measured the dimensions and promptly left the piece of paper at home. Need to go out again and get it done.
I have lithos from almost every cruise I've been on. I always intend to frame them but have not yet done do. Even if I frame them I don't have wall space to hang them right now.

many WDW trips before 1998
WDW - Oct 2000 - offsite, WDW August 2002 - All star music resort, ,WDW Port Orleans, WDW May 2006 Old Key West, WDW Nov 2007 offsite, DCL Magic 11/1/08, MNSSHP 10/31/09, DCL Magic in the Med 8/18/2010, Wonder to Alaska 8/23/2011, NYC to nowhere 6/15/2012, NYC to Bahamas 8/25/2012, 9/30/2012 Dream Cruise, Magic to Greece 6/15/2013, Disneyland Nov 2013, Fantasy Eastern Caribbean 8/23/2014
mindelmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:03 PM   #2805
DL1957
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Ours is sitting in our bonus room which has Disney art work from ceiling almost to the floor. We also are taking the lithograph from Ducky to get framed to add to the various ones we have gotten on past "first" cruises. DH is lacking vacation time so there may be no cruise for us in 2014...
Copenhagen to Dover June, 2015!
Disneyland - over 100 visits
WDW - Over 10
DVC since 2001
DL1957 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: