Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2013, 01:09 PM   #1
shana398
Mouseketeer

Arrival day Downtown Disney or Epcot

We are arriving at the airport in FL at 10:50 a.m. On Sat. Nov. 30th. It will be myself DH and DS2. We will be staying at POFQ until Dec. 8. I was thinking about going to Garden Grill at 5:30 for dinner so DS can start off the trip with Mickey. We've done GG before and enjoy it. The other idea is just to go to Downtown Disney for dinner, maybe QS and just relax that day. We are attending MVMCP on The following day Sun. 1st, so we may just relax at our resort the next morning. Advice, thoughts would be appreciated. BTW this is DS's third trip.
shana398 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:56 PM   #2
Fire14
Spartan Living in land of Buckeyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shana398 View Post
We are arriving at the airport in FL at 10:50 a.m. On Sat. Nov. 30th. It will be myself DH and DS2. We will be staying at POFQ until Dec. 8. I was thinking about going to Garden Grill at 5:30 for dinner so DS can start off the trip with Mickey. We've done GG before and enjoy it. The other idea is just to go to Downtown Disney for dinner, maybe QS and just relax that day. We are attending MVMCP on The following day Sun. 1st, so we may just relax at our resort the next morning. Advice, thoughts would be appreciated. BTW this is DS's third trip.
Not sure where you are flying from/thru but I had a trip planned for around this time of year and because of weather issues my arrival was delayed and I would have missed my adr if I'd had one booked, and by time we got to resort all we wanted to do is veg. and we were adults. I'd personally book a ADR without CC hold or better yet just do DTD that day and grab food at resort or DTD, That way LO can run around and burn off some energy and you don't feel rushed to get to a reservation. Even if you book a meal at RFC or TREX you can always call and cancel without penalty, if you see u will be late.
Register to remove

Old 07-14-2013, 02:24 PM   #3
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

I usually head to DTD, save the money on a park ticket for less than half a day, go shopping, and grab a bite to eat. I head back early and rest up for the next day!
Old 07-14-2013, 02:35 PM   #4
Irishlisa
DIS Veteran

DTD, same reason as the above poster aaarcher86.

DH, Me, DS(9), DD(7), DD(5), DD(5)

Irishlisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:35 PM   #5
My2Qtz0205
DIS Veteran

I would not do either. We went to DTD on our arrival day (a Friday). Weekends during the Christmas season are crazy busy! We could barely walk. If you still want to, you could eat there (with an ADR), but I would do something else for fun afterwards--putt putt or pool time at the resort.

My December 2012 Trip Report via my Scrapbook: http://www.disboards.com/showthread....5#post49171745
My Almost a Grand Gathering, 10th Anniversary Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post34138322
My2Qtz0205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:46 PM   #6
Polybound
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by shana398 View Post
EPCOT is normally our first day park. We normally don't get there until after 1:00 or so, and we pretty much can do just about everything we want to, except for Soarin and maybe Test trac. Sometimes we even get lucky and get FP's for one of those as well.

There's just nothing to do at DTD. A complete waste of time for us. FP+ is going to be great for first days at WDW. Most people normally don't arive until later in the day on first days and having 3 FP's reserved will be incredible.
Polybound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:49 PM   #7
siskaren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarcher86 View Post
I usually head to DTD, save the money on a park ticket for less than half a day, go shopping, and grab a bite to eat. I head back early and rest up for the next day!
The OP is going for 9 days. After 4 days, it only costs $10 per day, so it doesn't cost that much for an additional day. I will say though that it's really going to depend on the 2 year old whether it's better to go to DTD or Epcot or just crash at the resort. I always take flights that get me there about 10:30 and I go straight to Epcot after checking in, but I'm an adult traveling solo. I think the best option for the OP is to play it by ear, but that would mean not doing an ADR.
siskaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:28 PM   #8
Sp8s09
Earning My Ears

We always do DTD on our arrival day. We are only around 8 hours away, so we always drive. We get checked in and settled in our resort and then head to DTD to eat and just take it easy. Then we are ready to hit the ground running the next morning! It just makes the drive down less stressful to not have to worry about getting there at a specific time.

5/2009 HoneymoonPOP, 11/2010 ASSports, 9/2012 F&WASMu, 8/2013 Family TripCaribbea n Beach
Sp8s09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:40 PM   #9
drgnfly30
Take my advice, never pay full price
They call me Bobbie Vila around these parts!
I can't stop smelling myself!

We are lounging around the pool at the resort then to DTD for some dinner & shopping, then rest up for RD the next morning!

Offsite 1973~1977~1983 ~ POR Nov 2001 ~ CR Oct 2002 ~ Offsite Sept 2004 ~ Nick Oct 2004 ~ POP Feb 2006 ~ Indian Creek Villa June 2006~July 2007~June 2008 ~ CSR June 2009 ~ POP Aug 2011 ~ Swan June 2012~Dolphin August 2013~CBR Sept 2014 ~ YC Sept 2015
drgnfly30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:17 PM   #10
luvallprincesses
DIS Veteran

If that is the Saturday right after Thanksgiving, the parks are going to be crowded that afternoon. The morning, not so much, but afternoon and evening will be really crowded, and so will DTD. We've arrived the day after Thanksgiving for the past few years. I vote for pool/pool games/resort/movie on the lawn. If you really want a sit-down, you could do Boatwright's at POR very easily and it won't be a tough ADR to get. The crowds will be cut in half on Sunday and mostly disappear by Monday and then smooth sailing!

Aug 1997 CBR, April 2005 POP, May 2005 ASM
Dec 2006 POP, Nov/Dec 2009 POR, Nov/Dec 2011 POFQ
Nov/Dec 2012 WL Jan 2014 BC
luvallprincesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:37 PM   #11
honeybunches
That sounds like a cat poster, but it's true

We like to go to Epcot on our first day, even if its only an hour. We usually just walk around with the kids, then get dinner. Last time we walked up to GG and they took us right away. Have fun!
Old 07-14-2013, 10:44 PM   #12
shana398
Mouseketeer

Thanks for all the tips! We really just wanted to do Garden Grill for the character meal for our son to start out our trip. If the parks are really crowded that Sat. After Thanksgiving, I think we may just hang around the resort. Thanks for that tip about Thanksgiving weekend! We would love to get a Chef Mickeys for that night, but haven't been able to get an ADR. We've never tried CM. Is there anything else we could do for our two-year-old o start off the trip in a special way without going to the parks?

BTW Have you done MVMCP the Sun. After Thanksgiving? Is it a good time to attend? Thanks again!
shana398 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: