Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2012, 01:32 PM   #16
Magpie
I guess there's not much else to do in the jar
Mean people - they don't matter

We got picked to be the first family on Toy Story Mania at Hollywood Studios once. It was pure chance...

Everyone was heading for the ropes in the center of the plaza in front of the hat, but I noticed that the ropes over at the right were empty, so I grabbed my family and dragged them over there. (My husband thought I was going the wrong way, but I assured him we'd all end up in the same place - stampeding toward TSM!)

There was a CM standing there with stickers, and as we arrived with a bunch of other people following us, he started searching the crowd, looking for kids. I pointed out that my son was only 14, despite being 6 feet tall, so he gave him a sticker. Then my 16yo daughter spotted a couple little girls in strollers, and offered to pass stickers back to them. When everyone had been properly stickered, we started chatting. Found out the CM's dad used to work in mining in Canada, years ago. My husband's a metallurgical engineer, so they were having fun comparing notes.

And then all of a sudden the CM excused himself to talk to another CM. When he returns, he asks us if we've ever ridden TSM before (the kids hadn't), and if we'd like to be the first to ride today. You bet we did! He opened the rope and ushered us through, and led us down to the ride. It was awesome! Plus we got a little card to remember it all by.

I think the only reason we got picked was because there weren't any other families nearby with cute kids in the right age range. But certainly, the fact that we were friendly and chatty didn't hurt!
Magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:12 PM   #17
Mickdeb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaligal View Post
Remember that sometimes it is arranged ahead of time. So you might all get up early, be there two hours before ope, chat up the CMs and still not be chosen.

There is more luck involved than success at doing the right thing to get picked.

Good luck.
This is how it happened for us.....we were waiting for the turnstiles to open and a CM approached my daughter (6 years old at the time). She told us about the opening show and asked if we wanted to be the family to be in it the following day. She took us over to another CM and they put our name on a calendar that they had. It was the most wonderful thing.....a meet/greet with about 15 characters and a private train ride with them. Just amazing.
1975-Royal Plaza, 1994-DixieL, 2002-CSR, 2004-POR, 2005-POR, 2005-ASMO, 2006-Pop, 2006-WL, 2007-WL, 2008-Poly, 2008-POFQ, 2009-GF, 2009-DL/GC, 2010-AKL, 2011-YC/CL, 2012-CBR, 2013-AKL, next up YC-2015and 3 Disney Cruises: Fantasy 2013, Dream 2014 and Alaska on the Wonder 2014:

Mickdeb is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-06-2012, 12:45 AM   #18
chipper10
Disney Obsessed

We were picked in January 2009. It was my DH, DS (2.5) and I. We got too MK too early. I had thought it was an EMH day, but I had mixed it up and it was the day before. The CM was chatting with DS and asked us how he did with the characters. DS loved the characters, so we were talking about how he did at OHana. Soon the CM went to talk to another CM and asked if we would like to open the park. It was amazing. I think I was about ready to jump out of my skin, I was so excited. DS was able to play with several characters in Toon Town before we rode the train to sprinkle pixie dust. I have some great memories of Mickey, Donald and Pluto going down the Town Town slides with DS. I also have a great picture walking behind DS as he held Mickey's hand and Snow White is next to him.
It was a great day!

Next Trip -- May 2013
chipper10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:54 AM   #19
budafam
DIS Veteran

Yesterday morning we were at Epcot for rope drop and 2 CM's came over to us and talked for a bit. We all had on red matching shirts. They asked if it was our first time. We said it was MIL's first time but for the rest of us we had been there before and then they said "well, enjoy your trip" and walked off. They went over and talked to another family and they were picked for family of the day. Totally ruined our mood for the beginning off the day I'm not sure why we weren't chosen but I kinda wish we had lied... lol.. oh well.
budafam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:45 PM   #20
disney<333
DIS Veteran

How do you get to the park by 7 for a 9 AM rope drop? Are the buses running by then and if you're driving, is the monorail/boat operating in time?
disney<333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:48 PM   #21
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

My family has been chosen to open AK and then we got to ride Safari first as well. On the same trip my DD and I were first family on Splash. Both were super cool and totally random.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:20 PM   #22
humboldthny
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmbop View Post
Good luck, don't set hopes too high (don't want to be disappointed if it doesn't happen!)

Truly, some of the most magical moments happen when you're not even expecting it! My fiance and I just started chatting with a CM, and next thing we knew, we were Grand Marshals!
A couple of years ago our dd went to pin trade with a CM and we ended up as Grand Marshals as well!
December 2007 WDW ~ December 2008 WDW ~ May 2009 WDW ~ April 2010 WDW ~ October 2010 WDW ~ March 2011 WDW ~ October 2011 WDW ~ SWW June 2012 WDW ~ September 2012 DL/DCA! ~ December 2012 WDW! ~ SWW June 2013 WDW! ~

humboldthny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:12 AM   #23
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney<333 View Post
How do you get to the park by 7 for a 9 AM rope drop?

1- Are the buses running by then and if you're driving,

2- is the monorail/boat operating in time?
1- The resort-to-park buses begin running every day by about 6:30AM.
They drop you at the MK gates area.

2- The Resort Monorail (that also stops at MK) is rolling before 7AM.
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:18 AM   #24
PrincessAli
DIS Veteran

Location: 'Walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA'

We were chosen to be the Grand Marshals just by walking up Main Street. A gentleman noticed my husband wearing his US Navy cap and asked him if he would like to be in the closing Flag Cermony that day. Then asked us both to be in the parade that afternoon. What an memorable day for us!
Old 05-07-2012, 07:34 AM   #25
CireEdorelkrah
Earning My Ears

My wife an I ggot married at Disney and the next day we got selected to be grand marshals of the parade. My family came that day but her family decided to go to Epcot that day. They were so jealous when they found out. My mom cried because she was so happy. A CM came up and asked us at the restaurant at the end of the shops on main street on the right when walking to the castle (the Plaza?) His name was Brick and he was great. While waiting for the parade to start, we got some pictures with a lot of characters behind the scenes
It was amazing. They even have a section roped off at the end so you can enjoy the paraparade with awesome view. Good luck!
CireEdorelkrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:48 AM   #26
PrincessAli
DIS Veteran

Location: 'Walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA'

Oh my gosh--I am glad to read that Brick was still there. We met him on a tour years ago and loved him.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:33 AM   #27
2goofykiddos
Budding Disney addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
1- The resort-to-park buses begin running every day by about 6:30AM.
They drop you at the MK gates area.

2- The Resort Monorail (that also stops at MK) is rolling before 7AM.
What about boats from WL??
May 2010- 3 days off site
May 2011-- 6 nights POFQ
May 2012- 7 nights VWL!!!!!
Oct 2012 Adult's only F&W trip
Dec 2012- Bonnet Creek with extended family,
1 night CBR
March 2013- off site
May 2014- Bay Lake Tower
Dec 2014- WBC again!
2goofykiddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:01 PM   #28
jkshel
DIS Veteran USMC Veteran

We were chosen when i stopped on main street to get a map inside a shop. i came back outside and they were talking to my wife and kids....So be sure and forget to get your map at the gate, and get it on main street.

(This was for the parade grand marshall...not opening the park)
Disneyland March 2003
Disneyworld May 2009
Disneyworld May 2011
Universal Studios and Island of Adventure June 2012
Disneyworld March 2013
jkshel is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: