Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2011, 01:31 PM   #16
Love Tink
DIS Veteran

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone. I really appreciate it.

It sounds like Touring Plans has this one right, and this would be a great time for crowds. Of course, I would be sad to miss IASW (not to mention Pirates), but I just got to ride it twice in August. It looks like Space Mountain will be closed only on November 1, so it is good to have the heads-up not to choose that day, since we're flexible.

I think my arm is sufficiently twisted!
Love Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 01:32 PM   #17
jernysgirl
I would say head to DL first to get you "in the mood"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemofans View Post
I just looked at the website. Shoot! I thought I picked the perfect week. Okay, so now I need to rethink our park days. I wish I knew what time on Sat they will have it. If it's in the afternoon or early evening, then we'll be fine. We will be doing MM & TTMM that morning, then ressies at Minnie & Friends breakfast.
I would appreciate any help from DL experts on how to handle DL w/the parade taping. Hey, can I use our preferred parade viewing vouchers for that???
From what I understand, is that it really doesn't impact most of the park, it just really clogs up Main Street. And most of the reviews that I have read, people tend to say that it is kind of boring to watch as it is an all day thing, where they run the parade over and over, to get the shots (and there is no music playing either).

**But keep in mind, that is just from what I have gathered from reading about it the last couple of years and I have never actually been there during a taping.** I'm sure you could search for some other threads here on the DIS to give you a better idea.... in fact, I though Nancy did a DISblog post about it. Hmmm....... yep! Here it is!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-18-2011, 07:11 PM   #18
nemofans
DIS Veteran

Well, I guess we'll hang out in the other lands & then take the monorail from Tomorrowland take us out of there. If we have ressies at Plaza Inn, will that be difficult to get to?

8/2000 Grosvenor Resort (got engaged!), 11/2005 DL PPH CL, 12/2006 Poly, 02/2008 AKL, 2/2010 CR CL, 2/2011 DCL Magic, 11/2011 DL GCH, 10/2012 AKL CL

2013 Book Challenge: 87 out of 75 GOAL MET!!
2014 Book Challenge: 78 out of 85
nemofans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:52 PM   #19
MND
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love Tink View Post
So - sorry for the ramble - here is my question. Do you think these predictions are accurate? It seems I've seen some people on here saying that Touring Plans is just using historical models for DL, and that the predictions aren't really reliable. I know you can never say for sure, but does anyone know whether that first week of November is really a ghost town at DL?
The parks won't be that empty, because I'll be there from 11/3 - 11/7 with my family!

We have other plans on Saturday 11/5, so we will miss the parade taping. Will enough Christmas stuff be up by then for the taping? I know WDW typically tapes the Christmas parade about a month later. A 11/5 taping seems early.

2 years ago we were at WDW beginning on Halloween for 1 week. We actually attended the MK Halloween Party on 11/1. It was a great time to be there, because crowds were low and we got to see the transition from Halloween to Christmas.

Cheers!

Mike

MND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:13 PM   #20
twopeasonepod
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jernysgirl View Post
From what I understand, is that it really doesn't impact most of the park, it just really clogs up Main Street. And most of the reviews that I have read, people tend to say that it is kind of boring to watch as it is an all day thing, where they run the parade over and over, to get the shots (and there is no music playing either).

**But keep in mind, that is just from what I have gathered from reading about it the last couple of years and I have never actually been there during a taping.** I'm sure you could search for some other threads here on the DIS to give you a better idea.... in fact, I though Nancy did a DISblog post about it. Hmmm....... yep! Here it is!
We were there for 10 days last year and will be back for 10 this year (basically Halloween and the week after). I agree with the general statements of the thread (good time for crowds, IASW closed but my kids don't mind, etc.)

We were in the taping of the concert, which was incredibly boring -- especially for kids too young to care about being on TV. They do a billion takes of the same thing, and goes on forever. The bummer is that it's all lip-sync'd so it is even more annoying. Our boys (who were four at the time) were so bummed that we didn't even try and do the taping of the parade.

I will be at a CME this year on Sat the 5th, but maybe DH will take the boys over for the parade....

ETA that the rest of the park doesn't really seem to be affected. At least I don't remember it to be!
twopeasonepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 02:04 AM   #21
princesskayla
***This space reserved for a tag***

Quote:
Originally Posted by jernysgirl View Post
Also, keep in mind that supposedly the taping of the Christmas parade is on November 5th this year, so that will clog Main Street that day.
YEAH!!! I have been trying to go to a WDW parade taping for years and it has not happened! Now I get to in DL.

Guess I have to make Christmas Mickey clothes!

Is there any special tickets that I need to get?

First 1/2 Marathon-Disneyland-Sept 2013*Pixar 7 day cruise - Oct 2012*Dream Double Dip - May 2012*24 Hours,4 Parks - Leap Year 2012 -WDW*DL -HoJo: Dec 2011*First Disney Cruise and First Family trip to Disney Land: Nov 2011*Solo trip to DL: Oct 2011*Last trip before the Wild Fontier, Bonnet Creek: May 2011 * Bonnet Creek - Nov 2010 * AKL/WL CL - Sept 2010 * Christmas Present for the family at Bonnet Creek - Dec 14-18, 2009 * Last Minute trip to Bonnet Creek - May 2009 * Suprise trip for Mom's 50th B-Day - Oct 2008 KOTS * WL with Free Dining - Sept 2008 * AWHONN convention + DISNEYLAND - June 2008 * ASMo and WL with Free Dining - Sept 2007 - The beginning of the obsession
princesskayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:59 AM   #22
Sarahlynn
Earning My Ears

Us, too!

We're WDW vets planning our first DLR trip the first week of November, too! (November 3-6) I'm still trying to make sense of all the differences in trip planning and really need to nail down our schedule/travel plans/figure out dining.

I've read a guidebook and poked around here a bit - loved HydroGuy's massive info post - but I've missed a couple of things, including where we can see which attractions will be down that week. Since we're traveling with three little kids, I'm especially bummed about IaSM and I'd heard such good things about DL's PotC I really wanted to see that. Alas.

Where should I look for scheduled attraction down-times? Thanks!
Old 09-19-2011, 03:16 PM   #23
Ariel224
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahlynn View Post

Where should I look for scheduled attraction down-times? Thanks!
Disneyland.com calendar is currently out through 11/5. Scroll down to the bottom of each daily listing for the refurb/closure schedule.

At this point, really only the park hours and refurbs are listed. The full entertainment schedule has not been added yet, and probably won't show up until the first of October.

Disneyland November 2-5, 2009; November 11-21, 2010; November 7-11, 2011
Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean November 10-17, 2012
Ariel224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:26 PM   #24
Sarahlynn
Earning My Ears

Thank you!
Old 09-20-2011, 12:55 PM   #25
LizzyS
DIS Veteran

I will be in DL for the first time on November 5th and really have no interest in watching them film the Christmas Parade, but does anyone know how long this clogs up Main Street? I hope I don't miss out on Main Street because of the parade! Surely when it gets dark they are finished by then, yes? Also, is it hard to get around the park with Main Street so busy?
LizzyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 01:03 PM   #26
skiingfast
Has had no bacon
Skiing fast to chocolate
But, will he succeed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyS View Post
I will be in DL for the first time on November 5th and really have no interest in watching them film the Christmas Parade, but does anyone know how long this clogs up Main Street? I hope I don't miss out on Main Street because of the parade! Surely when it gets dark they are finished by then, yes? Also, is it hard to get around the park with Main Street so busy?
As mentioned above it doesn't make the whole park busy just Main Street. So it's more difficult to get in and out of DL.

They will leave the sidewalks on each side of the street open behind people viewing the parade just like during any parade. This makes it crowded because usually you can walk down the whole width of the street.

You can take the Train around but it will be a bit busier too since many people will use this strategy too.
skiingfast is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: