Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 03:10 PM   #1
AliciaS
Mouseketeer

Christmas Parade 2013

Does anyone know, for sure, when the parade taping will be in 2013?

I have heard that all decorations will be up by the end of November except for the large MK tree and that only goes up after the parade. Is the large tree something to wait for or will I not even notice it's gone?

Does the parade taping take over a chunk of MK such that it diminishes your MK experience? And is the taping all day long for 3 days?

I'm thinking of getting to WDW early afternoon on Saturday the 30th and doing a half-day of MK, then going to Legoland Sunday (with 9 and 6 year old LEGO fanatical boys, it seems to be a must), and then we'll be good for a week in the World, leaving the next Sunday, the 8th.

Thoughts?
AliciaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:13 PM   #2
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliciaS
Does anyone know, for sure, when the parade taping will be in 2013?

I have heard that all decorations will be up by the end of November except for the large MK tree and that only goes up after the parade. Is the large tree something to wait for or will I not even notice it's gone?

Does the parade taping take over a chunk of MK such that it diminishes your MK experience? And is the taping all day long for 3 days?

I'm thinking of getting to WDW early afternoon on Saturday the 30th and doing a half-day of MK, then going to Legoland Sunday (with 9 and 6 year old LEGO fanatical boys, it seems to be a must), and then we'll be good for a week in the World, leaving the next Sunday, the 8th.

Thoughts?
No one knows yet when it will be. I don't think the tree in MK adds significantly to the experience. All other parks will have theirs up by then.
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-14-2013, 04:12 PM   #3
Mrs. Ciz
DIS Veteran

We were there over parade taping in 2011. I did not notice the missing tree. I did notice and really missed the garlands over Main Street. There was also a big scissor lift up in front of the castle. They took it down at night for MVMCP so we just waited to have our castle pictures taken then. Friday of parade taping weekend they just tape the stage shows so only the castle forcourt area is roped off. It was not a big deal at all. We avoided Saturday when they tape the actual parade on Main Street because I heard that whole area is very congested with portions blocked off. They only tape on Sunday if they had weather or other technical delays on Saturday. As for the dates for 2013...usually it's the first weekend in Dec...so that could mean Dec 6,7,8 or it could be the weekend before - Nov 29,30 Dec 1. Can't make a clearcut guess based on the calendar this year.
DL: Too many times to count growing up, DL: Jr. High Grad Trip 1980, WDW: Summer 1983, DL: New Year's Eve 1989, WDW: August 1995, DLR: Christmas 2001, DLR: June 2003, WDW: July 2010, WDW: Dec 2011, WDW: June 2013, DLR: July 2013

Wyndham Timeshare Owner & RCI Member since 1985
Mrs. Ciz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:12 PM   #4
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

I imagine that the taping could be on the first Sat in Dec...so that would be the 7th. The parade is usually taped on that Saturday morning. Makes Main St. almost impassable, but the rest of the park is pretty decent until the taping is done...around noonish. There have been various act tapings around the park on Thursday and Friday....usually in front of the Castle. THey tend to reserve Sunday as a rain date for the taping.

I've been to MK on parade taping Sat....mid-afternoon. It was crazy crowded in there!!! I've been to the act tapings on Friday twice. Those days weren't too bad in the park.

But, that date isn't etched in stone. It's based on historical dates...as I said..usually the first Sat in Dec.
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:36 PM   #5
iwish81792
Mouseketeer

Parade taping this year was on Friday the 7th and Saturday the 8th. We arrived pretty early (around seven) on Friday and stayed there until the Main Street taping was done around one or two. While I was waiting around to go to work the park didn't seem crowded at all. Most of the people there for the taping are in sweaters and hats and don't really hang around after because they would probably die from the heat

On Saturday, taping was a lot longer but by the end of the day Main Street had thinned out and they had to start pulling people in to fill the empty spaces. So I think it's safe to say that the park will not be that busy.

I don't think the tree not being up took away from the atmosphere at all...and the taping was all on Main Street and the Hub (Castle Stage). The rest of the park was business as usual.

and just around the corner is a Fantasyland!
iwish81792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:04 PM   #6
AliciaS
Mouseketeer

Interesting information! Thank you!

Now, I really couldn't remember the tree so I can see that missing not being a big deal, as y'all have pointed out. But the garlands over Main Street...hmmmmm.....that is a big part of what you think of as the Christmas decorations. Do they have them up and then take them down for the taping because of visual clutter? Or do they not put them up until after the parade? I'm starting to think we should delay our trip a few days so that we can have a post-parade MK day.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:47 PM   #7
siskaren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwish81792 View Post
Parade taping this year was on Friday the 7th and Saturday the 8th.
According to this thread, it was the week before.
siskaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:51 PM   #8
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwish81792 View Post
Parade taping this year was on Friday the 7th and Saturday the 8th.
Quote:
Originally Posted by siskaren View Post
According to this thread, it was the week before.

The other thread is correct.

Nov. 30 & Dec. 1, 2012

But in 2013, it will VERY likely be Dec. 6 & 7.

Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:07 PM   #9
siskaren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliciaS View Post
Interesting information! Thank you!

Now, I really couldn't remember the tree so I can see that missing not being a big deal, as y'all have pointed out. But the garlands over Main Street...hmmmmm.....that is a big part of what you think of as the Christmas decorations. Do they have them up and then take them down for the taping because of visual clutter? Or do they not put them up until after the parade? I'm starting to think we should delay our trip a few days so that we can have a post-parade MK day.
I'm assuming they take them down for the taping because easywdw.com has pictures in a post from early November 2011 that show the garlands up.
siskaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:39 PM   #10
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by siskaren View Post
I'm assuming they take them down for the taping because easywdw.com has pictures in a post from early November 2011 that show the garlands up.
That's correct. But, they may change that at any time.

The garlands (can) go up over Main Street for early MVMCP's.
Then, they are taken down for the parade taping.
And, put back up (+ the Christmas Tree) after the parade taping.

Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:02 PM   #11
AliciaS
Mouseketeer

Thank you all so much for your sharing your knowledge!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: