Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2011, 10:47 AM   #46
momxx5
DIS Veteran

My family watched the show.....the kids thought most of it was totally gross and the older boys thought most of it was done "just for the show".
Who knows??

I do know for a fact that for $7.50 you can get a nice sale at the real meat counter.....more than 1 pound of ground beef, a small roast or even a steak dinner. Add a $1 bag of salad mix and 2 potatoes and you have a real meal.....maybe even with some change to spare!!!

I cannot imagine how they can top this show.
Definately got everyone talking
momxx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 12:36 PM   #47
mrsbornkuntry
I'm worried about raccoons
I carry a diaper

One thing that I thought was interesting was when the "goat head guy" talked about how much money is saved by not owning a car and riding a bike instead. I know it's not a solution for everyone, but I think he makes a very good point about the money saved there.

I think the extremes some of these people go to draw the line between frugal and cheap. To me begging for ketchup packets is borderline stealing. And compromising my family's health with expired food or other's leftovers for the sake of saving a buck is just wrong.

Beret...$15.00
Boots..$135.00
Having them HOME
on the floor....
PRICELESS
mrsbornkuntry is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-31-2011, 12:40 PM   #48
mrsbornkuntry
I'm worried about raccoons
I carry a diaper

My 14yo ds and I were also baffled by the guy washing paper towels. What is the point to that? Why not just use cloth napkins?

Beret...$15.00
Boots..$135.00
Having them HOME
on the floor....
PRICELESS
mrsbornkuntry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 04:23 PM   #49
Gnomegirl
Earning My Ears

I haven't read all of the replies and I haven't seen the show. but you know what - crap is crap. If it's from a baby or adult - still the same crap.

I think a lot about switching to cloth for the bathroom. I know a lot of people who use it and have paper for family members who don't. Yes I did cloth diaper. In fact I also made the cloth diapers for my children. I'm not crazy cheap but I am environmentally practical.

And as an aside - I have a degree in environmental science but because of I have children who I won't put in child care I work as a CNA wiping adult crap
Gnomegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 04:41 PM   #50
mjantz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Of course, goat-guy didn't seem to grasp that sometimes new ideas can save money. He said that some years ago they'd agreed NOT to "up their lifestyle". That is, they agreed that they were at a comfortable position in life, and they didn't need to do any better -- the idea being that their salaries would continue to increase, but they would not upsize their house, would not upsize their cars, would not buy ipods and cell phones . . . in short, they'd not buy new things just because they were available. While that's not necessarily a bad idea, it's also not smart to make that a blanket decision. A couple things come to mind right away: I pay LESS now for my cell phone than I did for a landline years ago. Now that we can get RedBox movies, we pay LESS than we did back when we rented at Blockbuster. The internet allows me to find bargains to which I had no access years ago. Thanks to online banking, I no longer have to spend a stamp to mail in my bills. Yet he's decided to remain placidly "stuck" in a two-decades ago lifestyle because he's sure that everything new costs more.
I think this is an excellent point. I own all 3 of Amy Dycyzyns books (Tightwad Gazette author) & in the last one, from several years ago, she says that she doesn't think the Internet is something people need. I read an article about her from a few years ago & she said that part should be totally discounted as she uses the Internet every day. Netflix, eBay & other tools.
I'm frugal but I also own an iPhone. I don't consider the two mutually exclusive.
mjantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:15 PM   #51
Sagginit
DIS Veteran

i was kinda grossed out. a few points, poop has ecoli in it, so you need to be very careful if you are reusing anyting with a significant amount of poop on it, as it can even spread in the wash. you would need to wash with the hottest water you can and bleach to be safe, so it seems pointless. it would make more sense if she used the rags for cleaning in place of papertowels or threw them out after one use.

also as for the food for the dogs. the stuff he was collecting is bad for them. things like salted french fries and salty pork products could actually kill a dog. i would think as a dog rescuer he wold know better.

its like extreme couponing. exaggerated and meant to shock audiences.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:40 AM   #52
Gnomegirl
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagginit View Post
i was kinda grossed out. a few points, poop has ecoli in it, so you need to be very careful if you are reusing anyting with a significant amount of poop on it, as it can even spread in the wash. you would need to wash with the hottest water you can and bleach to be safe, so it seems pointless. it would make more sense if she used the rags for cleaning in place of papertowels or threw them out after one use.
You raise a valid point but people have been using cloth for literally generations. My DH is a director of health so we are pretty confident in out choices.
Gnomegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:58 AM   #53
WheelCEO
DIS Veteran

Well the good news is that while there are crazy people in this world, the show is partially staged. I have an old employee whom is contracted to shoot for this show and a few others, and most of these scenarios were set up for the camera.
WheelCEO is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: