Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2011, 11:46 AM   #16
jmkjr72
DIS Veteran

jmkjr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:48 AM   #17
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominus View Post
I like the idea, but it's a rumour that's been around forever. Disney has been storied to buy land everywhere around Houston (Belleville, Katy, Sealy, Spring, you name it).
I think what really fuels these rumors is that Disney has and does buy property all over the place. Sometimes just for an investment, sometimes like Baltimore's inner harbor and Hawaii for DVC resorts. I've even heard they will buy a little land to put up a radio tower and its starts up again that Disney is going to build a park in like Wisconsin.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-03-2011, 11:59 AM   #18
MissionMouse
DIS Veteran

Considering Shanghai Theme Park is Disney's current focus I would suspect this Texas article is a April 1st hoax. Is this what higher Disney guest rates financed? I would say don't expect anything new from Disney in existing parks unless competition makes them do it, like you find in Orlando when Universal created the Harry Potter area. Disney was forced to respond as they appear to be focused on growth by accessing new populations of guest.

Disney World - Magic Kingdom Entrance - Walk Around The World Brick Owner
Boardwalk Inn Photos
Typhoon Lagoon Photos
Wishes-Fireworks from PR & MK Photo Album - 30 Photos
Sea World and Marriott Rennaissance SW - Photo Album - 40+ Photos
Disney World Park and Deluxe Resort Photographs
MissionMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 12:12 PM   #19
ccudmore
DIS Veteran

If it's on the Internet, it must be true!!
ccudmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 01:21 PM   #20
EMom
Comes from a long line of all fork hole pokers
I had the auburn haired Chrissy doll whose hair grew. She lost most of it in an incense fire. Don't ask

DH grew up in the Houston area and he said the rumor about Disney buying land in The Woodlands area has been around since the 70s. For those not familiar with the area, it's very close to Houston's main airport, plus there's Hobby for Southwest flights. It's a low crime area, beautiful and heavily forested, just off an interstate, upscale with lots of shopping, etc. In other words, if someone could put together enough land for a Disney park, this would be a great place to put it. Smack dab between Disneyland and Disney World, weather similar to Florida, plus a gateway to Central and South America. But the way land has been bought up around there, I don't know if it could ever happen. Ten years ago, maybe. Now...not so much.

But I don't see Disney laying out the kind of money to open a new place anyway.
EMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 02:32 PM   #21
jsilvers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartle View Post
Baltimore's inner harbor
I think you mean NATIONAL Harbor, which is a development in Prince George's County near Washington, DC - not Baltimore.
jsilvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 05:27 PM   #22
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsilvers View Post
I think you mean NATIONAL Harbor, which is a development in Prince George's County near Washington, DC - not Baltimore.
Oops when I first read about this development I read harbor and just had Baltimore in my brain and it never left.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:29 PM   #23
chartle
DIS Veteran

dup
Old 04-03-2011, 05:30 PM   #24
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

This rumor has been around for ages. It just seems to move to different parts of Texas.

I would like something in San Antonio. It would make an already fun place even more fun. It's not likely though.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:34 PM   #25
Finally08
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pktbMouse View Post
I live it Spring Texas too and I havnt heard a thing about it either..dont get me wrong I would LOVE something like this to be 10 mins from me but I have heard rumors like this before...fingers crossed its not a joke. I know they will be opening the new Houston Dinosaur Park in New Caney in 2012..wonder if this is what they mean? Please keep me posted if you hear anything else.
OMG, I had never heard of the dino park thing but DD will be thrilled! The only thing she loves as much as Disney is dinosaurs, and Houston is only about 4 hours away from us.
Nov 2008 - With Twilight friends in DisneylandMay 2009 - The family returns to WDW! Contemporary
June 2009 - Girls dance trip / All Star MoviesFeb 14-21 2010 Wilderness Lodge Nov 18-27 2010 Pop Century - just me and my girlMay 18-31 2011 Pop Century - just me and my girl, aka "the queen of the kingdom"October 2011 - Family Halloween fun!!Nov. 26-30 '11 trip to visit Flynn!Dec 28- Jan 8 '12 NYE Madness
Sept 27-Oct 2 2012 - Enchanted MNSSHP
Finally08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:39 PM   #26
lostatdisney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMom View Post
DH grew up in the Houston area and he said the rumor about Disney buying land in The Woodlands area has been around since the 70s. For those not familiar with the area, it's very close to Houston's main airport, plus there's Hobby for Southwest flights. It's a low crime area, beautiful and heavily forested, just off an interstate, upscale with lots of shopping, etc. In other words, if someone could put together enough land for a Disney park, this would be a great place to put it. Smack dab between Disneyland and Disney World, weather similar to Florida, plus a gateway to Central and South America. But the way land has been bought up around there, I don't know if it could ever happen. Ten years ago, maybe. Now...not so much.

But I don't see Disney laying out the kind of money to open a new place anyway.

Well the biggest evidence against is that I haven't heard anything else about this, although if there is an announcement tomorrow, maybe they are waiting for that? I do recall reading about an upcoming land purchase in The Woodlands that was rather secretive. I'm trying to find that article now to see if it sounds like this.

While it would be incredibly awesome, I'm not getting my hopes up. A Texas theme park doesn't sound much like Disney.
1998 - Disneyland - first Disney trip with kids!
2001 - Disneyland
2004 - Spring Break at WDW - POR
2006 - Spring Break at WDW - WL
2008 - Spring Break at WDW - WL
August 2009 - Cruising on the Disney Magic!
2010 - Spring Break at DLR - GC
2012 - Mother Daughter Cruise on the Dream!
2013 - Spring Break at WDW - BCV
On my first trip to Disneyland when I was just seven years old, I got lost when I ran ahead of my family trying to see Mickey as he led the parade. My parents soon retrieved me from the Lost and Found, but I've never found a place that I would rather be lost than Disney.
lostatdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:05 PM   #27
Allison
- Join date March 2004 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostatdisney View Post
Well the biggest evidence against is that I haven't heard anything else about this, although if there is an announcement tomorrow, maybe they are waiting for that? I do recall reading about an upcoming land purchase in The Woodlands that was rather secretive. I'm trying to find that article now to see if it sounds like this.

While it would be incredibly awesome, I'm not getting my hopes up. A Texas theme park doesn't sound much like Disney.
Absolutely 100% April Fools Day prank

Look at the link:

Sunday, April 3, 2011APRIL FOOLS!
Thanks to everyone who played along with, commented, linked and retweeted this little April Fools joke about Disney bringing a new theme park to The Woodlands.

Happy April Fools!
at 3:24 PM Email This
BlogThis!
Old 04-03-2011, 08:05 PM   #28
castmember19
DIS Veteran

I heard rumors too, but as much as I would love to see a Disney park in Texas, I believe it's unlikely.

However, quoting the news story that somebody posted on here as a stop to the rumors-

Quote:
"Disney will build a theme park on the moon before they build one in San Antonio," said Dennis Speigel, president of Cincinnati-based International Theme Park Services Inc.
Well, why not?! We already have Six Flags and Sea World and they are vastly popular! When anyone visits, they hit up the basics- Six Flags, Sea World, the Riverwalk, and the Alamo. We're already a tourist site so why NOT have a Disney theme park?

Just wishful thinking I guess...

The world is a carousel of color.
castmember19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: