Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2014, 03:20 PM   #1051
StarGirl11
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
Thanks all! Thanks for plugging them in. For some reason when I look up a calculator, McMillan especially, all I can find is a training pace calculator that wants me to enter what I WANT to run. That's why I was saying I don't understand the calculators. I've tried off and on for awhile, and just can't make anything work for me. I have the 10K submitted already. Alas I've never lived up to that potential, LOL. Maybe the Disneyland Half will turn it around for me.
You and I are different in that aspect then. One thing I noticed during my last half was by the time I had reached the 10k I had pretty much settled into what was going to be my overall race pace. I lost some of it in the last 5k because when I realized I wasn't going to hit my goal time I decided to go for another goal and I needed to conserve some energy. But it was only 8 minutes off of what should have been my projected finish based on when I hit the 10k marker. If I had kept pace I probably would have kept closer.

Finished RunDisney Races: Princess 2012, Tinkerbell 2012-2014, Disneyland Half 2011-2012, Dumbo Double Dare 2013, Wine and Dine 2013, Disneyland 5k 2012, WDW 5k 2012
Finished Races: Nike Women's Half Marathon 2012, San Francisco Half Marathon 2012, San Francisco Marathon 2011, Downhill at Dawn Half Marathon 2011, Santa Anita Derby 5k 2011-2014, Golden Gallop 10k 2013, Surf City 10k 2013, Kaiser Permanente San Francisco Half Marathon 2011, Rock 'n' Roll Denver 1/2 Marathon 2011, 9/11 Remembrance Run Half Marathon 2011, Race On the Base 10k 2014, Innovation Run 5k 2014, and other races I am missing off the top of my head

Upcoming RunDisney Races: Dumbo Double Dare 2014, Disneyland 5k 2014, Wine and Dine 2014 & Avengers Half Marathon 2014 (aka my first attempt at a double back since 2011), WDW 5k 2015, WDW Marathon 2015 , Tinkerbell 5k 2015, Tinkerbell 1/2 Marathon 2015, Dumbo Double Dare 2015, Avengers 2015 (if I don't do these I will be shocked),
Upcoming Races: LA Quarter Marathon 2014, MCM 17.75 2015 (contingent on how well WDW goes because this will be my entry into the Marine Corps Marathon, if I run a sub 6:00 marathon than its all green for this race, thank god registration for this is post-WDW)
StarGirl11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 03:43 PM   #1052
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks for walking me through it. I just did it, and now that I know to look further, I see that there's a Half time in there. Before, I got stopped by the "Heads Up! You might double check your GOAL time / distance. You entered "00:00:00" for a distance of "10km"" notice and figured I'd done it all wrong. Ooh I was wrong, my buddy did a 2:32. If I managed to hit close to my potential AND if she's slowed down by the Orlando weather, maybe we won't have such a bad finishing time afterall and maybe I won't be slowing her down THAT much. Sadly, I don't get distracted by the fun stuff at Disney races. I get distracted by the heat and humidity and wide tutus on tall women hitting my arms and scratching them and people walking 5 across without any room to get past them and "ack is that a ball of FIRE?" (for TOT).... And at the WDW Half I got distracted by having the plague, LOL. Next two Disney runs I've got running buddies and I might start listening to music, too, at least in one ear. Might help. Hoping!
It is definitely a little confusing! I plug things into that site all the time so I am very familiar with the quirks you mentioned.

I hear you on the race etiquette stuff, for sure...

Running with buddies - ALWAYS makes a Disney race way more fun!!!
Ariel484 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-18-2014, 01:54 AM   #1053
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarGirl11 View Post
You and I are different in that aspect then. One thing I noticed during my last half was by the time I had reached the 10k I had pretty much settled into what was going to be my overall race pace. I lost some of it in the last 5k because when I realized I wasn't going to hit my goal time I decided to go for another goal and I needed to conserve some energy. But it was only 8 minutes off of what should have been my projected finish based on when I hit the 10k marker. If I had kept pace I probably would have kept closer.
I can't think about numbers at all while running. My Garmin just confuses me. I managed to make it through the whole WDW Half thinking I was about 10-15 minutes faster because I had forgotten that auto-pause was on. And what's weird is that I THOUGHT I was matching my watch's elapsed time to the big clocks, and thought it matched at the end! I was very surprised to see the results a day or so later. Odd odd odd. So pace is not something that's easy for me to keep. I basically do what I can do because if my pace is slower I don't feel I can do much different. Probably a big gap in my training.

And that's what is going to be different at the Disneyland Half, because I'm running with my brother. It's possible he's actually a cyborg (he runs like Terminator 2, the cop robot guy, runs, LOL) because he can set a pace in his head and stick to it. (he can also set his brain to wake up at a given time without using a clock or cellphone) He's going to set the pace to what I say, and I'm hoping I can keep up!

I'll have that experience before W&D, so that's why I hope it turns around for me! I long too have a GOOD experience at a Disney race!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel484 View Post
It is definitely a little confusing! I plug things into that site all the time so I am very familiar with the quirks you mentioned.

I hear you on the race etiquette stuff, for sure...

Running with buddies - ALWAYS makes a Disney race way more fun!!!
Hoping hoping hoping!

Etiquette...I was just looking at some somewhat local race, and in their rules, it says to pass on the right. Augh. What? No, you pass on the left!

But I'd read that sort of thing before, that some races say right and others say left. No wonder no one knows what they are doing!

Forgot the biggest dubious joy for me at WDW Half...there's a switchback before you go over the bridge and towards Epcot (if I"m remembering correctly) and my shrimpy self was already having a hard time with men's elbows and scratchy tutus as the owners of those things passed me. There was music playing there (Beach Boys, I think) which I was enjoying, and then a woman with energy to burn passes by me waaaaaay too closely, and she had headphones and was dancing to her own music. And by dancing I mean she had her arms out at full length and was waving them everywhere like she was in a Carnaval parade or something. She nearly knocked me out. Ack!

Etiquette should definitely include "don't swing your arms around when anywhere near other runners".

I really need to have a good time, must have a good time, must must must, at DLR Half, W&D and then WDW Half do-over...must must must.
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 06:42 PM   #1054
CynthiaRebeca
Earning My Ears

Since the deadline for a better qualifying time for the Wine and Dine is this Friday, I signed up to do a local 10k this past Saturday. Whoah. What a disaster.

I don't think I'll ever do a 10k without an attached Half Marathon on the same trail. Since I'm still gaining speed (slowly but surely) I was basically disqualified for running too slow. The cut off was an hour 30 minutes (about a 14:30 m/m pace) which if I had run it in that time would have been great and perfect to submit for a 3:15 half marathon but the race started late and the sun was out in full force with no shade and only water stops at mile 1.5 and 3 (by the time I got back to the mile 1.5 water stop it was gone and packed away... :/).

Was such a failure that I was so exhausted and dehydrated by mile 3/4 (and basically the last person on the course mind you since there were only about 50 10k runners!) but decided to keep chugging along... only to find that not only would you be disqualified if you ran slower than the 1:30 limit but the finish line would no longer be there. I stopped my runkeeper at the 10k mark but I didn't recognize the finish line since they took the signs away so I ended up walking out of the park (and past my car no less) before realizing wow I don't remember any of this before walking back (probably a mile total extra).

I ended up running at a 15:30 m/m pace which I'm happy with but boy will I remember to NOT sign up for a small local race again until I get my pace up to snuff!

I hope your qualifying 10k race experiences were better!
CynthiaRebeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:15 PM   #1055
Strawberry's mom&dad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynthiaRebeca View Post
Since the deadline for a better qualifying time for the Wine and Dine is this Friday, I signed up to do a local 10k this past Saturday. Whoah. What a disaster.

I don't think I'll ever do a 10k without an attached Half Marathon on the same trail. Since I'm still gaining speed (slowly but surely) I was basically disqualified for running too slow. The cut off was an hour 30 minutes (about a 14:30 m/m pace) which if I had run it in that time would have been great and perfect to submit for a 3:15 half marathon but the race started late and the sun was out in full force with no shade and only water stops at mile 1.5 and 3 (by the time I got back to the mile 1.5 water stop it was gone and packed away... :/).

Was such a failure that I was so exhausted and dehydrated by mile 3/4 (and basically the last person on the course mind you since there were only about 50 10k runners!) but decided to keep chugging along... only to find that not only would you be disqualified if you ran slower than the 1:30 limit but the finish line would no longer be there. I stopped my runkeeper at the 10k mark but I didn't recognize the finish line since they took the signs away so I ended up walking out of the park (and past my car no less) before realizing wow I don't remember any of this before walking back (probably a mile total extra).

I ended up running at a 15:30 m/m pace which I'm happy with but boy will I remember to NOT sign up for a small local race again until I get my pace up to snuff!

I hope your qualifying 10k race experiences were better!
WOW sorry you had a bad time.
I am a back of the pack runner. I have learned in local races to always carry my own water. I have had the same experience with no water at the water station.
Barb

Strawberry's mom&dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:28 AM   #1056
regul8ter18
Mouseketeer

They just released the fall discounts for during the time that we are and they are all gone at POR for standard and garden view. So we upgraded to a royal room.
regul8ter18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:08 PM   #1057
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by regul8ter18 View Post
They just released the fall discounts for during the time that we are and they are all gone at POR for standard and garden view. So we upgraded to a royal room.
That's a pretty room. We stayed in one for my first rundisney event, last year's TOT. It was nice!

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
Old Yesterday, 01:11 PM   #1058
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Oh you guys might know!

My running partner for Wine&Dine is looking at ticket prices. I used the online ticket store to check on ticket prices, using the W&D code given in our registration email, and the prices look AMAZING.

Am I seeing things, or are they really that good?

If I order them through the online store link, will the tickets I get have the code to enter into MDE? What if I do will call?

Or should I order by phone and ask for the code for MDE?

Anyone have experience with this?

I know the tickets from rundisney can't be upgraded, but still, they are really good prices!

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
Old Yesterday, 03:05 PM   #1059
TJAinNE
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Oh you guys might know! My running partner for Wine&Dine is looking at ticket prices. I used the online ticket store to check on ticket prices, using the W&D code given in our registration email, and the prices look AMAZING. Am I seeing things, or are they really that good? If I order them through the online store link, will the tickets I get have the code to enter into MDE? What if I do will call? Or should I order by phone and ask for the code for MDE? Anyone have experience with this? I know the tickets from rundisney can't be upgraded, but still, they are really good prices!
I ordered through the ticket store and had them sent to my house. I believe there was a small shipping fee. The tickets have a number on the back that I entered into MDE and they linked with minimal problems.
TJAinNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:57 PM   #1060
Castle2Castle
Disney Runner

Quote:
Oh you guys might know!

My running partner for Wine&Dine is looking at ticket prices. I used the online ticket store to check on ticket prices, using the W&D code given in our registration email, and the prices look AMAZING.

Am I seeing things, or are they really that good?
I can't fully speak to the rest of your questions, but yes, the runDisney ticket prices can be a pretty sizeable discount as compared with regular ticket prices and most of the third-party discount tickets out there.

Other than that, some of my other family members purchased them for Expedition Everest this past year and picked them up at the expo to avoid the shipping fee. After that my stepmom was able to link them to MDE but I wasn't any part of that process.
Castle2Castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:01 PM   #1061
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJAinNE View Post
I ordered through the ticket store and had them sent to my house. I believe there was a small shipping fee. The tickets have a number on the back that I entered into MDE and they linked with minimal problems.
Thanks for the info!

When I looked at the ticket store, it seemed the 3.50 was for shipping OR for Will Call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castle2Castle View Post
I can't fully speak to the rest of your questions, but yes, the runDisney ticket prices can be a pretty sizeable discount as compared with regular ticket prices and most of the third-party discount tickets out there.

Other than that, some of my other family members purchased them for Expedition Everest this past year and picked them up at the expo to avoid the shipping fee. After that my stepmom was able to link them to MDE but I wasn't any part of that process.
Thanks for verifying that they do have that good of a discount!

I did a little spreadsheet, and it seems that a 6 day hopper ends up less than a 3 day base ticket through UCT? Crazy. 6 day ticket would be weird for our trip, as it IS 6 days with two of those days being just a few hours of park time on either end, but...on the other hand...it's almost worth it.

Old Today, 05:23 PM   #1062
TJAinNE
Earning My Ears

I'm trying to figure out race day transportation. Can you park at Wide World of Sports for the kid's races?
TJAinNE is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: