Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2012, 11:48 AM   #16
ghtx
"In this times that all strategies seem to be death and you pay to eat fart and make a line in the parks of DW and just a few rides..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by xipotec View Post
Hehe our first day is a non park day, second is HS. I plan on trying to convince family to just stop by MK that night for wishes, since we have 9 ticket days and only plan on 6 park days...

Any suggestions on how to convince them besides whining ? Bribery???
How about "Are you really going to let me waste three days of a nine-day ticket?"

Why, BTW, do you have a 9-day ticket if you only plan on visiting for 6 days? Is it a NE ticket?
Old 10-05-2012, 11:51 AM   #17
princessSunshine
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghtx View Post
I totally agree with this. In fact, especially when you have young kids, I think there's a good argument to be made that you don't want to go to MK first. Basically:

There you go.
I agree whole-heartedly with all that's said above. The first time we took our DS's we purposely didn't take them to MK first, we didn't want the other parks to be a "let-down" compared to MK (now after 4 fours of going, one DS's favourite park is Epcot, the other DS loves AK - who knew) And we always follow the crowd calendar at Easy WDW to decide which park to get to.
That said - to each their own, if your DD REALLY would enjoy seeing the castle first, go for it, but you may not be able to do as much on a lower crowd day. Have fun, and include and enjoy some stop and smell the roses moments.
princessSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-05-2012, 02:22 PM   #18
Nancyg56
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hehe our first day is a non park day, second is HS. I plan on trying to convince family to just stop by MK that night for wishes, since we have 9 ticket days and only plan on 6 park days...

You have the tickets so just plan on going. People feel differently once they arrive. Unless you are planning to get up at the crack of dawn the next day just have your plan in place and let them know early enough that you all have time to sneak in a peak of Wishes and then skedaddle. If they are all a tired hot mess you just skip it.

On our trip I want very much to get in to see MSEP but it is not working out well for us. I know what time if happens and where we will be on those evenings when we are close by. If we can work it in and my DGD is not exhausted we will just go. Sometimes it is best to keep some of your extra details to yourself and if an opportunity presents itself you are ready. I prefer those "if we can and if we want to" kinds of plans to the written in stone touring plans some folks use.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:38 PM   #19
Bob1510a
Earning My Ears

I use the same strategy in planning my parks using touring plans, but do not always go with the lowest attendance park. My family loves to go straight to MK on the first day even if it is just for a few hours and then we switch to a slower park if the crowd levels prevent us from doing a bunch of rides.

Either way you go, you are going to have a blast, it truly is the most happy place on earth.
Bob1510a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:21 PM   #20
mjp12831
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Why don't you change your reservation to reduce the ticket days to 6 then? You can always add on during the trip if you decide you will do more, but I don't see the point of buying more tickets up front then you intend to use.

As for convincing - we spend every available moment in a WDW park with the logic that every minute spent there is like gold, and when your time is up you usually leave wishing you had more time, so why wouldn't you max??

WDW Commando member #60
mjp12831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:52 PM   #21
clynngibson
Mouseketeer

Thanks for all your replies! My original thought was like many of you-I didn't want everything else to be a let down after MK! lol We have time to think about it, obviously! The only important thing is we have a lunch ressie at Kona for our original MK day (day 3). There are openings on our day 1, so shouldn't be a big deal to change if need be.

Me DH DD 6yo DS 2yo

December 2012-First Trip to Disney! (offsite)
Currently trying to figure out how to convince DH to let me plan another WDW vacation soon!!
clynngibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:04 PM   #22
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:

This sentence implies to me that you think you can park hop by using additional days of a non-hopper. This is not possible.
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:31 PM   #23
clynngibson
Mouseketeer

So after looking at EasyWDW, here are my options:

MK on Day 1 (Dec 3rd):
-get to see MSEP
-with Epcot changing to Dec 5th, CP narrator will be Blair Underwood
-but EMH here today and higher crowd levels for MK, with Epcot being a Recommended Park for that day

MK on Day 3 (Dec 5th):
-no MSEP
-Recommeded Park for this day
-Epcot would be on Day 1, which is a recommended park and the CP is Andy Garcia

Let me also add a 3rd option. We'll be arriving Sunday, Dec 2nd. I didn't really want to schedule anything for this afternoon/evening in case travel takes longer than planned (we're driving). But, MVMCP is that night. We could do that instead of Tuesday Dec. 4th like I originally planned. Then keep Mon-Fri plans the way they are.

Me DH DD 6yo DS 2yo

December 2012-First Trip to Disney! (offsite)
Currently trying to figure out how to convince DH to let me plan another WDW vacation soon!!

Last edited by clynngibson; 10-05-2012 at 07:36 PM.
clynngibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:48 PM   #24
xipotec
Grinning Ghosts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghtx

How about "Are you really going to let me waste three days of a nine-day ticket?"

Why, BTW, do you have a 9-day ticket if you only plan on visiting for 6 days? Is it a NE ticket?
Well when i booked the difference between 6 day ticket and 9 day was negligible. So even though we only plan on 6 park days out of the 9 we will be there, i figured for the little extra i would be prepared in case a non-park day turns into a park day!!

Our arrival day is a non park day, but i want to convince the family to shoot over to MK after Spirt of Aloha, to catch Wishes and do some shopping.
Before that too many to list
!

SOME IMAGINATION, HUH??? - Mickey Mouse
xipotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:54 PM   #25
xipotec
Grinning Ghosts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaboy2

This sentence implies to me that you think you can park hop by using additional days of a non-hopper. This is not possible.
Yeah thats poorly written, first day is non-park, SOA dinner only, and thats the night i want to sneak over to MK!!
!

Old 10-07-2012, 10:58 PM   #26
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Yeah thats poorly written, first day is non-park, SOA dinner only, and thats the night i want to sneak over to MK!!
My bad. I understand now.
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:04 PM   #27
xipotec
Grinning Ghosts

I initally was under the impression you could do more than 1 park a day on a base ticket by using more than one ticket. DIS got me straight, I would have been upset to travel to a park and find out the hard way.. Too bad, but I'm not a big fan of park hopping anyway.
!

Old 10-07-2012, 11:17 PM   #28
wishing4PA
Wants to be in Pennsylvania or WDW or PA or WDW or ... and stuck smack dab in the middle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clynngibson View Post
So after looking at EasyWDW, here are my options:

MK on Day 1 (Dec 3rd):
-get to see MSEP
-with Epcot changing to Dec 5th, CP narrator will be Blair Underwood
-but EMH here today and higher crowd levels for MK, with Epcot being a Recommended Park for that day

MK on Day 3 (Dec 5th):
-no MSEP
-Recommeded Park for this day
-Epcot would be on Day 1, which is a recommended park and the CP is Andy Garcia

Let me also add a 3rd option. We'll be arriving Sunday, Dec 2nd. I didn't really want to schedule anything for this afternoon/evening in case travel takes longer than planned (we're driving). But, MVMCP is that night. We could do that instead of Tuesday Dec. 4th like I originally planned. Then keep Mon-Fri plans the way they are.
I can't comment on the CP narrators - if that matters to you, make it the decider, maybe?
On our first family trip, with DD4 (almost 5), we had EPCOT for our first full day. I pretty much did that on purpose, not entirely because of the crowd calendar, or to avoid a post-MK letdown, but because I was able to schedule the princess lunch at Akershus. 5 princesses down on the first full day meant, to me, less chance that we'd feel obliged to go hunting them down and standing in lines for them prior to our CRT day.

We did have 7 day tickets for a 7-night (i.e., "6 days" to me) trip, though, so the first evening, when it turned out we were there early enough, DD & I went into MK for a look at the castle, Small World, and not much else.

It worked well for us. Just throwing out some ideas, though with the MVMCP you couldn't exactly duplicate our plans anyhow.
BTW, DD loves EPCOT!
* 7/2013 (YC with DD), 1/2012 (Poly - me, DD, DN, DN, DSis, thanks! ), 7/2010 (FW - the Poly5+Mom), 2/2009 (DD4 & DH's 1st visit! ASMo), Day trip ~1990, Overnight "Jazz Night" with HS band (1978?), ~10 Day trips in 1970's-80's (E tickets!)
* Disney World Preview Center (1970?) An amusement park here, in the middle of nowhere, far from the beaches, nowhere near anything, even dinky little Orlando? That'll never fly!

Last edited by wishing4PA; 10-07-2012 at 11:39 PM.
wishing4PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:38 AM   #29
j44
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmh314 View Post
You may also want to check out the Easy WDW site. They also give crowd predictions on their calendar and expain why they would or would not recommend a particular park that day. It sometimes (often?) differs from the touring plans recommended parks. It also depends on how you will spend your day. If you're not showing up to the park until 11am and touring during the most crowded part of the day, I think its more important to pay attention to the crowd prediction calendars. But if you're going to get there at (or a little before) park opening, have a good touring plan and know how to utilize fast pass (which can all be learned on this site) that is much more beneficial than "picking the right day." So, I say if you want to visit MK the first day of your trip - do it! Just get there first thing in the morning and have a good plan to hit the most important rides first and enjoy your day.
Lots of good info for you in this entire thread, but the quote above is closest to my philosophy. While there is no single correct answer to your query, for many people the Magic Kingdom (MK) IS Disney World (especially for little ones). If you ask most little ones what they know about Disney World, they'll probably mention a lot of things that are in, or associated with, the Magic Kingdom.

A 6 crowd level is not terrible--there probably won't be much of a "sardine can" feeling. But as mentioned above, if you go to MK on your first day, get there early if at all possible. In terms of getting there early, also note a few other things (apologies if these were mentioned in other parts of the thread):

1. Guests are often allowed through the turnstiles before the official opening time. E.g., if the official opening time is 9 a.m., guests may be allowed through the turnstiles at, say, 8:45 or 8:50 a.m. "Through the turnstiles" may mean that you can go no further than Main Street, but at least you are in the park and can get in line at the ropes to enter the various lands. Seeing Main Street for the first time is really cool in itself, and off in the distance sits one of the things your little ones have probably been longing to see: Cinderella's Castle.

There are other threads on these boards that give great information about park openings and rope drops.

2. Many first timers underestimate how long it will take to reach the MK turnstiles and actually gain entrance to the park. If you are staying offsite and driving to MK, you will have to park in the world's second largest parking lot (be sure to note the name of your parking lot section and row number!), take a tram to the Ticket and Transportation Center (TTC), and then take a monorail or ferry to the park. From the time you drive onto Disney grounds, park your car, take the tram to the TTC, and then take the ferry or monorail to the park, 30 to 45 minutes will have elapsed on a normal day. If you are staying at a MK resort, you can omit the driving/parking/tram portion, but you still need to allow more time than you might imagine.

3. If you are in MK when the park opens, you will have some very valuable time to experience some rides when they are uncrowded, and to do some repeat rides with little or no wait. (Also a time perhaps to take some unhurried photos.) That experience is very fulfilling for many people.

4. Yes, arriving at MK at something like 9:15 a.m. when the first guests went through the turnstiles at 8:45 a.m. can make a huge difference. On any day of the year, many people are at the park when it opens. If you are 10 to 30 minutes behind them, many rides will already have significant lines. The single best tip you can follow is to be at MK (and every other park) at such time that you will be in the first wave of guests who enter the park.

Good luck and have a great trip. I noticed that your first trip is at Christmastime, a particularly great time of year at Disney.
j44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: