Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2012, 11:20 PM   #1
lisalis
Mouseketeer

Suggestions for July 2013 trip - No Disney

Thanks in advance for all your suggestions or tips! This site was so great for my family's first trip to Disney in 2009

My DH has a conference the last week of July next summer and my 3 boys and I will be traveling with him to Orlando. We did Disney last time and my teenage boys would like to do Universal this time. I would like to do both; but since the older boys don't care & DH will be tied up in meetings for quite a bit of the week, I am hoping to do Disney in a separate trip with DH and DS6 later in the fall.

Now to my question. I had been thinking about staying at WBC, but now that we aren't doing Disney would there be a better option for our family of 5? My DH will be at the convention center during the day and we are only renting one car. We are going to stay one night on site at Universal and were thinking about a condo or resort for the rest of the week. I thought about getting one annual pass and the unlimited 3 Park pass so the boys could do either of the Universal parks or the water park throughout the week.

Suggestions?
lisalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:11 AM   #2
jdtopgun71
Mouseketeer

We have never stayed at any of the Universal resorts, but since you only have one vehicle you might want to just do the whole week at Universal. It will be busy at that time of year, so the front of line privileges you get because you are a resort guest would be great for you sons.

Enjoy your trip!
CBR Apr 2005/CSR Apr 2006/Hilton Grand Vacation Seaworld Mar 2008/HGVC Tuscany Jan 2009 (Took DS to WDW College Program)/HGVC Seaworld Apr 2009/WL Villas June 2010/POR Riverside 2010/HGVC Parc Soleil Nov 2011/HGVC Seaworld Dec 2011/Wyndham Lake Buena Vista/WL Villas June 2012/HGVC Seaworld Dec 2012

Me (43) DW (47) DS (24)DD (18)DD (17)
jdtopgun71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:27 AM   #3
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

I agree with the PP.....the onsite benefits when staying at a Universal hotel are so advantageous during busy periods (like summer) I would be inclined to stay at a Universal property just for the complimentary express passes. Plus, the pools are great and it would be very convenient to spend the stifling hot afternoons swimming at the resort. Very easy to do when staying onsite.

If you are looking for a condo or timeshare in order to have more space in the room (which, with a family of 5, I would certainly not blame you for!!) I would recommend Westgate Lakes. Location is great for Universal and Wet & Wild, they have complimentary shuttle service to all the major parks, rooms are very large, and there are some great resort amenities (mini golf, 7 pools, 7 hot tubs, paddle boats, etc.). Your room would have a full kitchen, full sized laundry facilities, a big screen TV in the living room, and all the comforts of home.

Our last two trips to Orlando have been non-Disney. Check out my trip report links in my signature. Our January 2012 trip was Universal, IOA, SeaWorld and Discovery Cove. Our August 2012 trip covers Aquatica, DC (again), and Westgate Lakes. There's lots of other side attractions tossed in too, like Titanic, the Outta Control Dinner Show, and other stuff that appeals to teen boys.

Jan. 2009....onsite at POR: all 4 Disney Parks
Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Aug. 2012...Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa: Aquatica, Discovery Cove, and more
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
**Christmas 2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3041415
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Aug. 2014.....SVR, SW, DC, AQ, TL, Daytona & MORE! PTR in progress: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=51863899

Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina is offline   Reply With Quote