Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2013, 08:58 PM   #16
mrsstats
Sure sister's cat is as big as a mountain lion
Listens to AM every day

Thank you for the many ideas. I do appreciate it. MIL can walk with walker. She has sciatica issues and has been told to limit her time out of bed. I am trying to just do meals that they can put in the microwave.
mrsstats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:36 PM   #17
GigglyFigment
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsstats View Post
Thank you for the many ideas. I do appreciate it. MIL can walk with walker. She has sciatica issues and has been told to limit her time out of bed. I am trying to just do meals that they can put in the microwave.
I would definitely stick with pre-cooked individual portions. I usually stick them in smaller ziploc freezer bags and then put all the bags into a larger ziploc freezer bag which I then label with the name of the food and about how long to microwave it.

I would also think about doing the same for some shelf-stable snacks. Dividing nuts and dried fruit mixes into individual portions, crunchpaks - they're little bags of apples and veggies in individual portions, or something as simple as dips or peanut butter with crackers/pretzels can make life SO much easier.

There are a ton of sites about batch cooking and freezing individual portions. In addition to freezing sauces with the meat, you can also freeze sauce in ice cube trays then dump the cubes out into bags. The same can be done with soups/stews.

If someone comes to the house to help them - relative or not - I would make a few large dishes that can be cooked in the oven (with directions attached) so that they can enjoy something non-microwaved every now and then.
GigglyFigment is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-29-2013, 03:38 PM   #18
manning
Just for that I have requested it be left open!!!
We each have a sore spot....My butt and her right foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsstats View Post
Just a reminder. No metal in the microwave.

Did that once by accident. Great fireworks and a need for a new microwave oven.
manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:46 PM   #19
NotUrsula
DIS Veteran

My favorite low-effort cookbook author, Holly Clegg, has quite a few recipes that are designed to freeze. You can sample some of them on her website, www.hollyclegg.com

(Any recipe with a snowflake icon next to it will be freezable, and includes notations on the correct reheating time &/or technique.)
NotUrsula is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: