Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2012, 02:52 PM   #16
aprilgail2
Ikea- Swedish for CRAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaverTex View Post
I had to google this to find out what it was. (I'd been wondering for over a year.) What kind of antics can an elf whose only job is espionage get up to?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolcrest View Post
Just watched the Elf on the Shelf DVD recently. Very cute movie. Wish this was out when my kids were little. The only thought I have is why would the elf get into mischief if his purpose is to come down to visit the children so he could give a report to Santa? I wouldn't want my elf to get into mischief if I expected my kids to behave. I guess my elf would have been a boring one. But then again maybe I don't really understand the premise. I'll need to read the book too.

These elves sound more like leprechauns too me.
LOL---everyone I know the elf is just there to watch the kids and report back to santa- they dont get into any mischief-first I ever heard of that was on these boards!
Old 11-25-2012, 03:02 PM   #17
Krystalynn
Mouseketeer

Wow, I thought plenty of people have Elf on the Shelf! We have already started this year, no major pranks yet but soon My daughter loves looking for "Elf Girl" every morning

Krystalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-25-2012, 05:47 PM   #18
JulyGirl
DIS Veteran

This is one new tradition I don't get. I too have Facebook friends who love to post all of the trouble the elf gets in. To me, it looks like the elf makes a lot of messes to clean up. I don't have kids. Maybe when I do I'll feel differently.
JulyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:27 PM   #19
Robbi
DIS Veteran

There's a blog my DSIL sent me that makes fun of the woman who has 100 elf on the shelf ideas. It's pretty hilarious.
Elf on the Shelf was not around when my children were young. There's no way I'd do some of the mess making stuff. Why would anyone want to give themselves more messes to clean?
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:13 PM   #20
rainydayplay
DIS Veteran

I'm doing this for the first time this year with my DD9. Our elf should make it in the mail tomorrow, but she's not making her appearance until Saturday.

I think the kids have to take care of the elf's messes. My question is more if the elf is in the middle of a mess and you aren't supposed to touch him, does that mean he stays in that mess all day? I just can't see some of it, like the powdered sugar angel...leaving that all day.... Maybe it's just me.

Tips/tricks/etc. are definitely welcome!
Old 11-25-2012, 07:47 PM   #21
DeaverTex
Smelling like a horse doesn't make you a cavalryman
I'd wear a pair. I might even be able to get Mrs. Tex to wear some
I need to provide sufficient background in every post to make sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilgail2 View Post
LOL---everyone I know the elf is just there to watch the kids and report back to santa- they dont get into any mischief-first I ever heard of that was on these boards!
Thanks. It sounds like it could be fun (although a couple of the pranks mentioned sound really more like just making work for whoever cleans it up) but we already have a whole horde of stuffies who have Santa on speed dial. I'm afraid some poor elf would just get lost in the shuffle! At least the stuffies clean up their own messes.

Besides -- can YOU imagine Legolas, Elrond, or Galadriel making flour "snow angels" in your kitchen?

Deaver Tex Mrs. Tex Tex Jr.

7-10 October 2012 - POR
Nothing else planned right now.

DeaverTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:00 AM   #22
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulyGirl View Post
This is one new tradition I don't get. I too have Facebook friends who love to post all of the trouble the elf gets in. To me, it looks like the elf makes a lot of messes to clean up. I don't have kids. Maybe when I do I'll feel differently.

Yeah, to me traditions are passed from one generation to the next, not some marketing plow cooked up 7 years ago.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:12 AM   #23
ilovemk76
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolcrest View Post
Just watched the Elf on the Shelf DVD recently. Very cute movie. Wish this was out when my kids were little. The only thought I have is why would the elf get into mischief if his purpose is to come down to visit the children so he could give a report to Santa? I wouldn't want my elf to get into mischief if I expected my kids to behave. I guess my elf would have been a boring one. But then again maybe I don't really understand the premise. I'll need to read the book too.

These elves sound more like leprechauns too me.

ITA. He is being bad to get the kids to be good?
Old 11-26-2012, 07:22 AM   #24
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

Buddy hasn't arrived yet. Thankfully since I needed to get through Thanksgiving first. I am thinking he may arrive December 1 since he has advent calendars for the boys.

Things Buddy has done in the past that the boys still talk about

Buddy Peeing green into the toilet bowl

Underwear on the Christmas tree

Dressed up as Santa(cotton balls for beard)

I am out of ideas this year so I need to get ready before he visits. I am thinking something with Sugar Popems like snowman? for breakfast.

Oh and if they misbehave Buddy doesn't do anything that night. He has a "I need you to behave for me to come to life" schtick. that resulted from me forgetting to move him one night.
java is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:39 AM   #25
burnurcomputer
DIS Veteran

Elfika isn't here yet, but her friend will be joining her as soon as I dig her body our of hte Christmas stuff. They are going to atrt off by crepe papering the boys rooms "shut" so they have to break free to come out!
burnurcomputer is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: