Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2010, 02:24 AM   #1
ShatteredByLoss
Planning Fairy

Fried Ice Cream.....

Hello Everyone,

I got into a discussion with my brother about the time we went to Disney (I want to say it was in the early 80's sometimes) and had french fried ice cream.

It was a resturaunt that was on property and had a buffet for lunch. They were on a golf course. The only resort name the two of us have been able to come up with was: "The golf club". Which I am sure that wasn't the name, just what we called it. We only went their for lunch and I am wondering if it is the location of the resort that is now used for the Military personnel.

At any rate, we loved the french fried ice cream. They battered and then deep fried the ice cream and then put some sort of drizzled sweet sauce (Caramel perhaps?) atop of it in a bowl. We remember it being delicious.

Anyone know if Disney still does this at any of their resturaunts?

I think it'd be a great surprise for the family if I could find it again.

Thank you all in advance..

- Loss
ShatteredByLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 05:02 AM   #2
Pooh's-Honey-Pot
Disney Bride June 19th 2006

I've never seen this anywhere . . . but I like the sound of it! You can get a deep fried snickers at Cookes of Dublin! Thats the closest thing I can think of!

Disney trips:- 1989 - WDW Off Site; 1990 - DLR off site; 1997 - Disneyland Paris off site; 1997 -WDW off site; 2002 - WDW off site; 2003 - WDW off site; 2005 - WDW AS Movies; 2006 - WDW CBR (Disneymoon and Disney Wedding Pavillion Bride!); 2007 -DLR off site; 2008 - WDW POFQ; 2009 - DCL-A week on the Disney Magic (Western) + WDW POFQ; 2010 - Disneyland Paris Hotel Cheyenne; 2010 - WDW Saratoga Springs Resort / Universal RPR 2010 -Pop Century; 2012 - Fantasy cruise

Take a peek at my 2009 reviews "But We Haven't Lost Last Years Weight Yet"! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....5#post32039625
Check out my 2008 food report "Gluttony . . . Pure Gluttony" http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1837106
2010 food review - "The Piggies are back . . . and this time they're hungry" http://www.disboards.com/showthread....9#post38731959
Pooh's-Honey-Pot is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-17-2010, 05:47 AM   #3
GailT
I'm ba-ack!!!!
I'm so bad I'm good
Loves pea soup

we have fried twinkies in Mass, I rather the fried icecream
Old 08-17-2010, 10:58 AM   #4
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Deep fried ice cream was served a long time ago at San Angel Inn I believe. It's not served anymore. As far as I know, no restaurant on Disney property currently serves that.

It's not on a golf course though. That sounds like the former Disney Institute, which is now Saratoga Springs, or the former Disney Inn, which is now Shades of Green.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:30 AM   #5
bevgray
Believer in eBooks

Originally, Walt Disney World had 3 hotels: Polynesian, Contemporary, and the Golf Resort which is now Shades of Green. The French Fried Ice Cream was one of the "must dos" at the restaurant there. In its day, it was the nice, quiet, get away from the crowds location. This was in the 1970s and 1980s before the big hotel building boom. It was the relaxed location because it was not on the monorail.

From a search online---credit source waltdatedworld.bravepages.com/id120.htm

The Golf Resort opened in December of 1973 and originally had 125 rooms. It was located near the Palm and Magnolia golf courses between the Polynesian and the then-unbuilt Grand Floridian. The Golf Resort was known for its Magnolia Room (later Trophy Room) restaurant, where the signature dessert was French Fried Ice Cream. The Player's Gallery was the cocktail lounge that overlooked the Magnolia course. Perhaps to appeal to more than just golfers, it became the Disney Inn in February of 1986 and was remodeled to have a Snow White theme. Another 150 rooms were also added at this time.
The rooms of Disney Inn were located in one of two 3-story wings behind the lobby area. Each bed in the room had a quilt and the furniture was made of oak. Floral accents rounded out the decor.
Dining options included the Garden Gallery, which focused on "American Cuisine". The lounge adjacent to the Garden Gallery was called The Back Porch. The Diamond Mine was the snack bar and the Sand Trap was the poolside snack bar.
In addition to the nearby golf courses, guests could play at the Diamond Mine arcade, swim in the two pools, or play tennis on one of two courts.
Shopping options included The Pro Shop and Gifts and Sundries. Small meetings could be accommodated in the 1,024 square-foot Summer Room.
In February of 1994, the Disney Inn was leased by the U.S. Government for military personnel and the name changed to Shades of Green. The government purchased the resort outright in 1996. Shades of Green was not staffed by Disney Cast Members and civilians could no longer stay there. Recently the complex was closed and torn down for remodeling.
Sample rates for the Disney Inn in the early 1990's ranged from $195.00 per night for a room with two queen beds and a sleeper sofa to $500.00 a night for suites with two queen beds and two sleeper sofas.
bevgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:34 PM   #6
DOOM1001
DIS Veteran

I had fried ice cream at the funnel cake stand in the United States in World Showcase,it was OK but nothing special,a caramel sauce as the OP says they got would've made it better.All I got was vanilla ice cream in a batter.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:23 PM   #7
njbuck
Earning My Ears

Here is the recipe for the Fried Ice Cream that they served at the Golf Resort. My mother cut this out of a magazine article in the 70's.

1 pint vanilla ice cream
1/2 cup crushed cornflake or cookie crumbs
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons sugar
1 egg
Oil for deep frying
Honey
Whipped Cream

- Scoop out 4 to 5 balls of ice cream. Return to freezer.
- Mix cornflake crumbs, cinnamon and sugar.
- Roll frozen ice cream balls in half of the crumb mixture and freeze again.
- Beat egg and dip coated balls in egg, then roll again in remaining crumbs. Freeze until ready to use.
- (For thicker coating, repeat dipping in egg and rolling in crumbs.) Make sure you completely seal in the ice cream.
- When ready to serve, heat oil to 350F.
- Place 1 frozen ice cream ball in fryer basket or on perforated spoon and lower into hot oil for 1 minute.
- Immediately remove and place in dessert dish.
- Drizzle with honey and top with a dollop of whipped cream.
- Continue to fry balls one at a time.
- Balls will be crunchy on the outside and just beginning to melt on the inside.
njbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:44 PM   #8
ShatteredByLoss
Planning Fairy

Just wanted to say thank you for everyone who responded.

I thought I was going crazy as I couldn't actually remember the name of the hotel. Seems we had it right all along and didn't realize it!

Now I know a bit of trivia to pass along to the next person.

Thank you all again..

Take care

- Loss

ShatteredByLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 06:08 PM   #9
shoes99
DIS Veteran

We used to go to the Golf Resort to get fried ice cream...it was coated with cornflakes then fried..
We also found it at San Angel Inn. This was a long time ago.

shoes99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:49 PM   #10
mjbradeis
Mouseketeer

We use to love fried ice cream from Chi-Chi's restaurants, so when we were strolling down the Boardwalk last September we were very happy to see it at a little stand along the water! Not sure if it is still there or not, we will definitely be looking for it again in December!
POP/MVMCP/FD December 11-18, 2010
DCL Dream/POP Century/Legoland December 1-9, 2011
DCL Fantasy Western Caribbean Cruise December 8-15, 2012
POR December 7-14, 2013
DCL Magic Western Caribbean Cruise December 7-14, 2014

"Please stand clear of the doors" - "Por favor mantengase alejado de las puertas"
mjbradeis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:06 AM   #11
disney777
DIS Veteran

I've had it at the stand in EPCOT. It was ok, but I didn't feel it was worth the 5.50. I've had good ones at local Mexican restaurants (drizzled in Kahlua), so I guess my opinion is a bit skewed.
9/1990 offsite, 10/1999 ASMu, 10/2001 ASMo. 9/2003 ASMo, 9/2004 Pop, 1/2005 Pop/AKL, 9/2005 Pop, 1/2006 Pop/ POFQ, 9/2006 POFQ 10/2006 CSR, 1/2007 Pop,9/2007 WL/BWV, 1/2008 POFQ, 8/2008 POP/CR, 1/2009 POFQ, 9/2009 Saratoga Springs, 1/2010 POFQ, 8/2010 POP/BCV, 1/2011 POR/POFQ, 8/2011 POP/BCV, 1/2012 POFQ, 8/2012 AKL/AKL CL, 1/2013 POFQ, 8/2013 YC, 1/2014 POP/POFQ, 8/2014 GF
disney777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 10:20 AM   #12
left_arm
Mouseketeer

The recipe sounds awesome! I will definitely have to try this.
left_arm is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: