Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2013, 12:35 AM   #1
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Name Change And TSA

I wanted to share something that happened to me a couple of weeks ago.

Apparently the State Governments are under some Federal mandate to update their DMV databases. I had my driving license renewed a few months ago and the DMV changed my first name from Bill to William, I was born William but never use it. They got William from a Federal database.

I didn't know that they had made the change and I signed the license Bill. I didn't check the license when it was mailed to me, I just put it in my wallet.

Trying to check my bags at the airport for our WDW trip raised all types of alarms because my ticket said Bill and my license was William. After 40 minutes and 2 supervisors, Southwest updated their records to William and issued me a new ticket and boarding pass.

A TSA agent said that they would have denied me boarding which really would have been a mess.

Just wanted to share to maybe keep someone else from having the same problem.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:38 AM   #2
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Glad you got through!

Maybe it's time for a legal name change? My brother got sick of legal mail coming to a full name he didn't identify with, and changed legally to his nickname. Never looked back!

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-08-2013, 09:27 AM   #3
Jestocost
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
I wanted to share something that happened to me a couple of weeks ago.

Apparently the State Governments are under some Federal mandate to update their DMV databases. I had my driving license renewed a few months ago and the DMV changed my first name from Bill to William, I was born William but never use it. They got William from a Federal database.

I didn't know that they had made the change and I signed the license Bill. I didn't check the license when it was mailed to me, I just put it in my wallet.

Trying to check my bags at the airport for our WDW trip raised all types of alarms because my ticket said Bill and my license was William. After 40 minutes and 2 supervisors, Southwest updated their records to William and issued me a new ticket and boarding pass.

A TSA agent said that they would have denied me boarding which really would have been a mess.

Just wanted to share to maybe keep someone else from having the same problem.

Bill
Yes, you are supposed to have the name on your ticket match your government issued photo ID exactly, small differences--such as Bill vs. William--should not be a problem unless their are extenuating circumstances. I'm not sure why you got such a hassle unless there were some unusual factors present that weren't completely explained to you.
Spring 1976, WDW/Golf Resort; Spring 2000, WDW/CBR; Summer 2002, WDW/CBR; Thanksgiving 2003, Disney Wonder & WDW/CBR; Fall 2004, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2005, Disney Magic W. Caribbean; Fall 2005, WDW/BC; Summer 2006, Disney Magic E. Caribbean & WDW/POFQ; Christmas 2006, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2007, DLR/Disneyland Hotel; Fall 2007, WDW/Poly; Summer 2008, WDW/POFQ & Disney Wonder B2B; Thanksgiving 2008, WDW/Poly; Summer 2009, WDW/AKL; Christmas/New Year 2009-2010, WDW/Poly and Disney Magic W. Caribbean; Spring Break 2010, WDW/BC; Summer 2010, WDW/GF; Thanksgiving 2010, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2011, WDW/BC; Summer 2011, WDW/BWI; Thanksgiving 2011, Disney Dream; Summer 2012, WDW/AKL;F&WF 2012, WDW/BWI; Spring Break 2013, WDW/BC; Summer 2013, Disney Wonder Alaska; F&WF 2013, WDW/YC; Spring Break 2014, WDW/AKL and Disney Fantasy W. Caribbean; Summer 2014, WDW/WL; October 2014, Disney Magic S. Caribbean and Repo B2B

Jestocost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:28 AM   #4
CPT Tripss
DIS Veteran

Theater, all that was described is just theater.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:23 AM   #5
NotUrsula
DIS Veteran

Normally, common nicknames don't cause problems with TSA, and Bill is certainly a common nickname for William. You must have been there on "secret inspection" day, for them to hardline so much about a nickname that is pretty much universally recognized by native English speakers, ESPECIALLY when you had gov't issued ID that contained both variants.

That said, if you really insist on using a nickname on legal documents, then it is time to formally change your name, or else change your paperwork habits. Travel isn't the only place where using variant names on legally-binding documents can cause headaches; banking, especially, can be an issue.

FWIW, my dad was also a William who was universally known as Bill, but on any kind of legal document, William it was. (My DS is named after him, also goes by a nickname, and also signs any kind of legal document as William.)

Also, in legal circles William is one of those names that has a universally accepted abbreviation: Wm. You will even find the US Constitution signed that way; at least two of the delegates did so. (My dad did use this on minor work-related things like receipts for expense reimbursements.)
NotUrsula is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: