Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2012, 10:56 AM   #1
wahmtexas
Mouseketeer

Flying into Tampa, help please

Just changed our flight to fly into Tampa instead of Orlando, we saved money, got non stop flight and now get in 7 hours earlier on our arrival day
Questions:
Renting a car at Tampa airport, any discounts or codes I should know about
Dropping off at Orlando airport then getting on Magic Express? is this the best way to do this?
Does anyone know which rental car drop offs are closest to Magic Express terminal?
Thanks so much for any info I have never rented a car before and will be traveling with 2 kids and lots of luggage.
Sept.2010: Carribbean Beach, 3d trip with my kids
Dec. 2012 Art Of Animation, Cars Suite Lovin my work at home business paying for our Disney addiction!
Dec. 2013 POFQ, Surprise trip for kids! Loved POFQ!
Nov. 2014 Art Of Animation-Nemo Suite
wahmtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:56 AM   #2
jmasgat
DIS Veteran

The usual discounts or codes should work for TPA as well. Check out MouseSavers for the latest.

Sounds like you only want the car to get you to WDW. Is that right? If so, I would drive to WDW, check in, ditch the luggage and then drop off the car locally. Your rental would be for 1 day-24 hours, so really there is not rush to drop off immediately. You could use the car to make any shopping trips you may want.

Alamo/National has the Car Care Center on site (near the MK). You could drop off there--they have a shuttle that would take you back to your hotel. They also have a desk at Dolphin. Other rental car places have desks at hotels near Downtown Disney. I would avoid driving the car back to MCO if I was you. You'll waste some of the precious time you gain from your new flights.

If you are flying home out of Orlando, you can take the Magical Express.

Maura

Last edited by jmasgat; 11-13-2012 at 12:01 PM.
jmasgat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-13-2012, 12:23 PM   #3
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

Saving money is good. Price a drop off at, or near WDW, property. You're landing 7 hours earlier. You don't want to give most of that time back driving to MCO, walking over to the DME area then waiting for a bus ride back to your resort.

Drop off at the Dolphin and you walk over to EPCOT or DHS. I'd do that even if it costs more then a drop off at MCO. Spend some of the money you're saving on airfare.
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:06 PM   #4
wahmtexas
Mouseketeer

Thank you both, very valuable info, just booked Alamo and will drop off at MK after we check in and get settled at AOA.
Sept.2010: Carribbean Beach, 3d trip with my kids
Dec. 2012 Art Of Animation, Cars Suite Lovin my work at home business paying for our Disney addiction!
Dec. 2013 POFQ, Surprise trip for kids! Loved POFQ!
Nov. 2014 Art Of Animation-Nemo Suite
wahmtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:12 PM   #5
Shelly F - Ohio
Disney Extraordinaire

STOP don't drop the car off at the Orlando airport its a waste of time for you.
Alamo has two rental location onsite at Disney. One is at the Car Care Center the other as mention by a PP is the Dolphin hotel. When you make your reservation and pick the drop off location call that location and make a reservation for their shuttle van to take your hubby back to the resort after he drops the car off. They request that you call them at least 24 hours in advance to make shuttle van reservations.

Here is the local number for the Car Care Center
(407)824-3470 ext:LOCAL

Here is the local number for the Dolphin location
(407)934-4930 ext:LOCAL

I would go to your resort and check in first. Take the luggage to your room then have your hubby take the car to which ever drop off location you picked when reserving the car.

Join the Alamo Insider program. Its free to join and they offer better discounts to their Insiders member than what is offered to the general public.

We love flying into and out of TPA! First because of the cost savings verses MCO and second because it is a much calmer airport.
If you have any other questions please feel free to PM!!!

*** OH a see you did make a reservation with Alamo. I want to alert you that next Wed. Alamo will have released their last minute specials and your rental rate may drop and save you more $$$$. So check your reservation next Wed.

CBR - 2004 & Joined DVC 2004,
DCL 4 night- 2005,
SSR - Feb 2005, 06, & 09, Oct 08, May 2011, Oct 12, Feb 13..... CSR 07,... AKV Sept 2008,2012,2013... VWL Feb 2009, 2010, 2012 ... OKW Sept 2009, Feb2012...BCV 2013, 2014

Last edited by Shelly F - Ohio; 11-13-2012 at 07:25 PM.
Shelly F - Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:12 PM   #6
phorsenuf
Not so New Rule author on the DISSome discuss it calmly and some ...
Grandma Oboe

Location: Concord NH and now Davenport FL. Home to meth addicts and dislocated cowboys I'm told.

Wouldn't that be considered a one way rental though and end up costing quite a bit more?
Old 11-13-2012, 07:21 PM   #7
Shelly F - Ohio
Disney Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorsenuf View Post
Wouldn't that be considered a one way rental though and end up costing quite a bit more?
Yes it is a one way rental but in Florida Alamo and most of the other rental companies do not charge a one way rental fee!!!!

I have made one way rentals with Alamo, Budget, & Avis and never paid a one way rental fee. We have rented a one way rental from Tampa, Cocoa Beach, Orlando, Lake Buena Vista and no fee charged to us.

CBR - 2004 & Joined DVC 2004,
DCL 4 night- 2005,
SSR - Feb 2005, 06, & 09, Oct 08, May 2011, Oct 12, Feb 13..... CSR 07,... AKV Sept 2008,2012,2013... VWL Feb 2009, 2010, 2012 ... OKW Sept 2009, Feb2012...BCV 2013, 2014
Shelly F - Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:26 PM   #8
phorsenuf
Not so New Rule author on the DISSome discuss it calmly and some ...
Grandma Oboe

Location: Concord NH and now Davenport FL. Home to meth addicts and dislocated cowboys I'm told.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelly F - Ohio View Post
Yes it is a one way rental but in Florida Alamo and most of the other rental companies do not charge a one way rental fee!!!!

I have made one way rentals with Alamo, Budget, & Avis and never paid a one way rental fee. We have rented a one way rental from Tampa, Cocoa Beach, Orlando, Lake Buena Vista and no fee charged to us.
I did not know that. Good to know. Thanks!
Old 11-14-2012, 10:23 PM   #9
auger
DIS Veteran

Presuming you will need to go back to TPA for your return flight, if I were you, I would double check price for keeping your rental.

I have been playing with dates and times for my trip.
I just ran the cost of a van for a one day TPA-WDW Car Care Ctr.
It was just under $100. I have a one week rental for $165 for TPA-TPA.

So in my case, it would be more expensive to do (2) 1-way rentals than to keep the van for the week.
auger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:54 AM   #10
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelly F - Ohio View Post
Some of the discount codes we use aren't applicable for a one way rental. Shop and (in Florida) you can almost always find a good rate for a one way rental.

Quote:
Originally Posted by auger View Post
Presuming you will need to go back to TPA for your return flight, if I were you, I would double check price for keeping your rental.
The OP said he changed his flight into Tampa instead of Orlando. I inferred he kept his return flight out of Orlando.

Keeping the car for a week might not cost much more then two one way, one day rentals. He should price it, if he's flying out of Tampa.
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:20 PM   #11
travelcoupons
DIS Veteran

That's right many discount codes do not apply to one way rentals, although most do.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:27 PM   #12
codimouse
Over 45 Trips to Disney from San Antonio, Tx!

We are flying into TPA Saturday and back out on Friday after thanksgiving. It will cost is the same to keep our Avis rental for the whole week so we are just going to use it.
And even with the car rental we are saving $800 flying into TPA.

Sandi; sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
codimouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: