Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2012, 11:07 AM   #46
Hollywood Glitter
DIS Veteran

As a former cast member who worked with characters I'd like to give everyone a little info that may help you understand the process.

If you don't want any Disney magic ruined for you than don't read below... LOL

Costumed characters are required to take a 30 min break every 30 minutes. What this means is Mickey is signing autographs on stage for thirty minutes and than gets to hang out off stage for 30 minutes. By hang out I mean take off his hot "head" and relax but signing more autographs backstage. Yes, he can get some water during this time, go to the bathroom, talk to Minnie about their plans later that night but this is also the time the characters do specialty autographs like the stuff you leave with guest services, or a child's autograph book that was left on board. They are paid during this time. They do get breaks and lunches and they do rotate. Another thing to remember is that some costume characters are the same actors. So one person may do 4 different signatures. As well as some character host are also sometimes costume characters. It just depends on a few factors. They love any gifts you can bring them. Usually chocolate is the best because they can stash a few pieces in there pocket. Really that's the key. Anything you can fit in your pocket ANC snack on is their favorite. (Bite size) I hope this helps and no magic was ruined!
Hollywood Glitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:26 AM   #47
kristinfly2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Glitter
As a former cast member who worked with characters I'd like to give everyone a little info that may help you understand the process.

Costumed characters are required to take a 30 min break every 30 minutes. What this means is Mickey is signing autographs on stage for thirty minutes and than gets to hang out off stage for 30 minutes. By hang out I mean take off his hot "head" and relax but signing more autographs backstage. Yes, he can get some water during this time, go to the bathroom, talk to Minnie about their plans later that night but this is also the time the characters do specialty autographs like the stuff you leave with guest services, or a child's autograph book that was left on board. They are paid during this time. They do get breaks and lunches and they do rotate. Another thing to remember is that some costume characters are the same actors. So one person may do 4 different signatures. As well as some character host are also sometimes costume characters. It just depends on a few factors. They love any gifts you can bring them. Usually chocolate is the best because they can stash a few pieces in there pocket. Really that's the key. Anything you can fit in your pocket ANC snack on is their favorite. (Bite size) I hope this helps and no magic was ruined!
Thank you for the info! We had our pillow cases signed three weeks ago on the magic and I did include a big bag of mini chocolates! I am glad they were something that will be enjoyed!
kristinfly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-26-2012, 12:31 PM   #48
collectoraholic
Is it time to sail yet?

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgc1107 View Post
My DH called today to see what the limit was on leaving items at GS to be signed and he was told the are no longer doing it! Is this true? Anyone else heard this?
We were on the Magic Thanksgiving cruise and I had 4 pillow cases (3 different staterooms) signed by all the characters. But I must say, not nearly as many characters signed them this time as have signed them in the past. Each pillow case had a total of 12 character signatures when others we have have as many as 22 signatures. I think the # of signatures given corresponds to the characters that do actual meet-n-greets on a particular sailing. If you weren't able to see said character out and about, then no signature for that character was given; if that makes sense.

Last edited by collectoraholic; 11-28-2012 at 12:17 PM.
collectoraholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:25 PM   #49
bellaphia
Mouseketeer

I love the ideas!! would love even more to see pictures of items that were left at GS and signed..need help deciding on what to bring

bellaphia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:03 PM   #50
aliron682
Mouseketeer

We just got off the Fantasy and had a Birthday card signed for my Aunt's 65th birthday (tons of characters signed it....she loved it), and we also had the small sized vinylmations signed for each cabin. We had black ones and pink ones and had Mickey (only) sign the black ones with silver marker and Minnie (only) sign the pink ones with either a silver marker or black marker. We provided the silver marker.
We also gave each cabin one of the small solid color vinylmations along with a silver sharpie as our FE gift. We meant to put a note about getting it signed, but never got around to it.
They didn't hesitate when I dropped stuff off at guest services, and even commented about the cute idea.

"If we all threw our problems in a pile and then saw everyone else's; we would grab ours back"
aliron682 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:50 PM   #51
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Glitter View Post

Thank you very much!!
Old 11-26-2012, 08:25 PM   #52
Hollywood Glitter
DIS Veteran

You're welcome!
Hollywood Glitter is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: