Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2012, 07:14 AM   #1
Danny K
DIS Veteran

Please help me with the conservation station at ak?

I have heard that the conservation station has many stations. I am wondering how much time will it take to complete every station there (don't include the train). If this helps I am on the train right after mickey's jamin jungle parade.
Please don't include the train. I want to know how much time it will take to complete everything there without the train.
Danny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:22 AM   #2
MHSweb79
DIS Veteran

There's not much to do at the Conservation Station unless you catch the vets operating on an animal and you stay to watch.

Not sure what "stations" you are referring to. There's a small petting zoo and several character greetings. Many visitors skip this area entirely.
MHSweb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-07-2012, 07:26 AM   #3
Jasperann
DIS Veteran

We spent about 3 hours there... but it was a rainy day AND they had Character's meeting in the building too. It was our first visit to AK (ever) and we spent open til close at the park and missed Dinoland completely, Lion King Show, the characters over by Lion King show, It's Tough to be a Bug, EE (because of the thunderstorms) and the trail that has the Tigers on it. I attribute that to the 3 hours spent there. But my Dh and Kids are really into that kind of stuff. So I guess it depends on how much your family likes it. We seen families while we were there that just walked through and just glanced at things, I'm not sure how much they really took in... But that is how some families tour. Either way it will be fun I'm sure!!

We didn't do it on our last trip and were done with everything in AK by about 4pm.

FW March 2010 ~ ASMu May 2011 ~ BWI Deluxe CL May 2013 ~ ASMu March 2014 ~ AKL Villas October 2014
Jasperann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:56 AM   #4
sbtw13
Earning My Ears

we were there for quite a while (like 1 hr) but that is b/c DS LOVED the petting zoo and could have stayed there forever-- had to eventually insist that we were leaving. It really depends on how long you spend at the petting zoo. There is a character M&G-- but other than that not much.
sbtw13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:02 AM   #5
Danny K
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbtw13 View Post
we were there for quite a while (like 1 hr) but that is b/c DS LOVED the petting zoo and could have stayed there forever-- had to eventually insist that we were leaving. It really depends on how long you spend at the petting zoo. There is a character M&G-- but other than that not much.
I thought the petting place was affection section, not conservation station. Am I mistaken?
Danny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:13 AM   #6
MHSweb79
DIS Veteran

I think the "station" refers to the entire area - the walk from the train dropoff to the main building, as well as the petting zoo area.

The main building has some nice bathrooms near the entrance, and then you go into a large open room. Sometimes there is a CM giving an informal demonstration with a live animal (snake, lizard, etc) and there is a place where you can listen to Grandmother Willow (not certain on that). Otherwise there are large glass windows where you can watch someone measuring out food, or perhaps treating an animal. We've been about 3 times and never seen anyone treating an animal while we where there.

It's a pretty minor attraction overall but we've seen some characters - Pocahontas, Rafiki, Jimini Cricket - that you might not see anywhere else.
MHSweb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:20 AM   #7
kevdo
Kevin Crossman

There are a few animal exhibits between the train station and Conservation Station. Inside the building there are some animals to look at and a few small exhibits.

Could take 20 mins, could take an hour, depending on how much you like looking at animals (or, if there's a vet procedure going on).
Old 12-07-2012, 10:08 AM   #8
serene56
DIS Veteran

Ecverything I read told me that animal kingdom was a half day park.

Conservation Station was not even on our touringplans but we finished up earlier then expected and the train was right there so we figured why not.

We spend about 1.5 hours here. But this is when Pochontas, jiminy Cricket and Raficki were meeting. There was no one there.
Pochontas sat and colored with the kids

the entire time was really magical. We learned about the owls-- they had one with a broken wing
Old 12-07-2012, 10:19 AM   #9
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Found this:

http://www.guide-to-disney.com/anima...on-station.php

Quote:
RAFIKI'S PLANET WATCH ATTRACTIONS
Affection Section
Conservation Station
Habitat Habit!
Rafiki's Planet Watch Kids Discovery Club
Wildlife Express Train
I think it's worth doing. I've enjoyed seeing the veterinarians, plus last time we got to touch a snake! Yikes!
Old 12-08-2012, 11:45 AM   #10
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
I thought the petting place was affection section, not conservation station. Am I mistaken?
After you leave the train, you will take a long walk up a path with all kinds of different displays such as how to get your backyard to be more environmentally friendly (it's even suggested to build bat homes). You can linger and see all of these or you can just keep going.

Conservation Station is the building with displays of all kinds of bugs, snakes, etc. There are also sound booths here which are kind of nice (and quiet). This is where the vet area is and most procedures are done in full view of the guests. The procedures are usually done in the mornings (we've seen a turtle having his shell repaired and a flamingo getting his abnormal blood level checked again). Also where character greetings are held. Your time here would be based on your interest in the displays.

Affection Section is the petting zoo (Disney can't call something a petting zoo). Affection Section is behind Conservation Station. We saw goats, sheep and pigs. All can be petting and/or brushed. We even had a goat literally shove us apart from each other because *he* wanted to be petted.

We are animal lovers and spend about an hour out here.

And FYI - after you are done with the Affection Section, there is a nice place to wash your hands.

Only snacks are for sale.

All of this is at Rafiki's Conservation Station.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: