Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2011, 10:53 PM   #1
J & C's Mom
Disney Veteran

Gluten-free on the Dream

We are sailing in a few weeks on the Dream for our 5-day Double Dip. It's been 4 years since our last DCL cruise on the Magic. My 6-year old son has been gluten-free since his celiac diagnosis last year. WDW has been fabulous making sure that he had options available to him whether it was a quick-serve or a sit-down restaurant. Has anyone who eats GF had experience on the Dream? He is not an adventurous eater, so I am slightly concerned. Any info is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Disney Wonder - 4/02, 5/03
Disney Magic - 11/05, 4/07
Disney Dream - 8/11
Disney Fantasy - 6/12, 12/13
J & C's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 11:30 AM   #2
Cruellafan
Earning My Ears

Wink

As a fellow celiac who's traveled twice on DCL, I find that they are very attentive to my needs. Each night, the head server would discuss the choices with me, and occasionally the chef would come out as well. They are good at cooking up something plain, without sauce, and, on my last cruise (Dec 2011), they even had gluten-free dinner rolls (which, to be honest, were not thrilling).
There is a form you can request to get and fill out, with a doctor's signature, but, I did that on my first Disney cruise, and, at my first meal, the head server had not received the information. So, after boarding the ship, I go to wherever "Food Services" has set up their tables (on the Magic and the Wonder, it was in one of the adult venues) and let them know my needs. At my first dinner that night, the head server greeted me and knew of my needs.
I would imagine that the service on the Dream would be just as conscientious and caring.
Happy sailing!
Cruellafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:46 AM   #3
cheesekate2005
DIS Veteran

Our family did a 4 night on the Dream in February. My daughter and I are both GF. We had our needs for GF food noted on our reservation, our TA did that. When we arrived on the boat we were directed to the Enchanted Garden for lunch, which was a buffet. We informed the person at the front desk that we had dietary needs and he got the chef for us. The chef walked us through the buffet and told us what we could eat, he also asked where we were going to eat dinner that night. He told us what our best bets would probably be for dinner, but because it is our first night, it might take a little while to prepare the meal GF, depending on what it was. He also told us to 'Preorder all of our meals' the every night at dinner. At our first restaurant, Animator's Palate, our team was great. We preordered our meal for the next night too. We did not preorder breakfast. We went to Cabana's and it took FOREVER to eat! The chef was very nice and wanted to make us everything from scratch to be safe but it took a very long time! At dinner that night, we preordered our breakfast to be at the Royal Table the next day, and it was served quickly! At dinner that evening we preordered our lunch for Castaway and our head server delivered it to Cookies - it was awesome! At dinner that night, we preordered breakfast, lunch and dinner for our day at Sea and it worked out great.

Overall, the experience was great. We had rolls every night at dinner and pancakes at breakfast too. Let me know if you have any more questions. I would definitely make sure to preorder your meals, and when you are at breakfast or lunch, make sure the headserver there knows you preordered (he probably won't be your dining rotation headserver). One headserver at breakfast said "I will get the chef to walk you through the buffet" and I said "but, I preordered" and he said "Oh, why didn't you tell me...what is your last name and stateroom number?" He looked it up and brought it out pretty quickly (quicker than DH and DS got through the buffet).
cheesekate2005 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: