Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2012, 01:52 PM   #1
Sleepyluke
Mouseketeer

Bad results with *GT reservations?

I hope I can ask this and you understand. With the trend toward DCL offering more discounts with the *GT rooms instead of earlier discounts, has anyone tried to book the *GT and not been able to get on the ship or even had to pay significantly more to get on the ship?

My example: We are somewhat flexible when we can cruise, but for the msot part need some notice for work purposes. IF we take off and book airfare for a certain time, and then wait for the potential of *GT rates to come out, have you not been able to even get on the ship (regardless of *GT rate)? Say I know I want to be on a cruise October of 2013. Book my airfare and wait until August or so for the potential *GT rates to come out. I know there are 1,000 variables, but would you think I could get on that particular ship? I have not known of many sell outs anymore other than the prime holiday or special cruises, which would not have the *GT probably anyway.

One version that i have come up with is to have a "spare" reservation to move to the date if the *GT rates do not come out and just pay it off that way, but at least in my head and the sense of several others, it does not make sense money wise to book so early anymore.

Does that make any sense and any thoughts?
Sleepyluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:59 PM   #2
Annabell
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepyluke View Post
I hope I can ask this and you understand. With the trend toward DCL offering more discounts with the *GT rooms instead of earlier discounts, has anyone tried to book the *GT and not been able to get on the ship or even had to pay significantly more to get on the ship?

My example: We are somewhat flexible when we can cruise, but for the msot part need some notice for work purposes. IF we take off and book airfare for a certain time, and then wait for the potential of *GT rates to come out, have you not been able to even get on the ship (regardless of *GT rate)? Say I know I want to be on a cruise October of 2013. Book my airfare and wait until August or so for the potential *GT rates to come out. I know there are 1,000 variables, but would you think I could get on that particular ship? I have not known of many sell outs anymore other than the prime holiday or special cruises, which would not have the *GT probably anyway.

One version that i have come up with is to have a "spare" reservation to move to the date if the *GT rates do not come out and just pay it off that way, but at least in my head and the sense of several others, it does not make sense money wise to book so early anymore.

Does that make any sense and any thoughts?
I guess it is really a gamble. For an Oct sailing you would make pretty good chance but there is just no guarantee. The "spare" reservation" method would work but it will probably not be cost effective !

Here is my strategy !
- Plan my holiday with a certain sailing in mind
- Book my airfare
- Wait to around 60 or 70 days prior sailing date and watch out for the *GT rates
- If they come up then I will be on the cruise
- If they don't come up then I will just have a WDW holiday or book a last minute with another cruise line.

Bottom line is, I am OK if I cannot get on the DCL cruise.

If it is a "must" for you to be on the cruise, then it would be better to book it well in advance or just pay the price what DCL is asking when no *GT rates comes up.
Annabell is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-13-2012, 04:10 PM   #3
Melissa S
DIS Veteran

Exactly what PP mentioned. We just changed our March sailing because discounts came out before our PIF date. We had a four night scheduled and we just moved to a five night the week before we were supposed to sail. Saved $1000, got an extra night, and are visiting a place we've never been! We were able to move our OBB booked cruise to another date to keep the savings. *GT and restricted rates are the way to go if you are flexible. We sailed on a *GT in September but since it was from NY we didn't have to book air. And luckily the discount came out early enough that booking air to FL isn't going to be an issue.

Magic October 27, 2013 (5 night Halloween on the High Seas)
Wonder March 2, 2013 (5 night)
Magic September 7, 2012 (5 night)
Magic June 2, 2012 (8 night)
Dream December 26, 2011 (3 night)
Melissa S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:13 PM   #4
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

It is a gamble, plain and simple as no one really knows which dates or ships the *GT rates will be offered.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 1 time

)“DON'T BE SAD IT'S OVER, BE HAPPY IT HAPPENED!!
mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:59 PM   #5
DesertGal
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa S
Exactly what PP mentioned. We just changed our March sailing because discounts came out before our PIF date. We had a four night scheduled and we just moved to a five night the week before we were supposed to sail. Saved $1000, got an extra night, and are visiting a place we've never been! We were able to move our OBB booked cruise to another date to keep the savings. *GT and restricted rates are the way to go if you are flexible. We sailed on a *GT in September but since it was from NY we didn't have to book air. And luckily the discount came out early enough that booking air to FL isn't going to be an issue.
I'm hoping this may happen next year for us. I would just move our OBB to another date. We are cruising over Thanksgiving so its doubtful cheaper fares will come out but just in case, I'm watching.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Our dreams come true:
DS Alec 7
DD Olivia 5
DesertGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:05 PM   #6
kcashner
DIS Veteran

None of us can predict what DCL will offer even next week or next month. I wouldn't purchase airfare unless I had a back up plan.

That said, in October, one can typically book a week before the cruise without difficulty. Now, in March, I wouldn't try it!
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:56 PM   #7
wfgamble
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa S View Post
Hey Melissa! What discount are you referring to? Is this a discount that came out in Nov 2012 for a March 2013 sailing? I'd love to know. Thanks so much and congrats on getting such a great deal

Nov 2014 Magic
Feb 2014 Pop Century
April 2013 Fantasy
May 2012 Dream
May 2012 Off site
Nov 2011 Parc de Soliel Hilton Grand Vacation Resort
June 2011 Fort Wilderness Cabins
Dec 2010 Pop Century
Sept 2009 Pop Century
wfgamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:28 PM   #8
Melissa S
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfgamble View Post
Hey Melissa! What discount are you referring to? Is this a discount that came out in Nov 2012 for a March 2013 sailing? I'd love to know. Thanks so much and congrats on getting such a great deal
Florida resident rate. My brother and mother are residents and were on our original reservation. We would have cruised either way (March worked best for their schedules) we just got lucky that the discounts came out early. We found with our cruise in September that the *GT rates came out before the 75 day mark so I have been checking every Monday for the new dates to be released.

Magic October 27, 2013 (5 night Halloween on the High Seas)
Wonder March 2, 2013 (5 night)
Magic September 7, 2012 (5 night)
Magic June 2, 2012 (8 night)
Dream December 26, 2011 (3 night)
Melissa S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:47 AM   #9
wfgamble
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa S

Florida resident rate. My brother and mother are residents and were on our original reservation. We would have cruised either way (March worked best for their schedules) we just got lucky that the discounts came out early. We found with our cruise in September that the *GT rates came out before the 75 day mark so I have been checking every Monday for the new dates to be released.
I see. How great!

Nov 2014 Magic
Feb 2014 Pop Century
April 2013 Fantasy
May 2012 Dream
May 2012 Off site
Nov 2011 Parc de Soliel Hilton Grand Vacation Resort
June 2011 Fort Wilderness Cabins
Dec 2010 Pop Century
Sept 2009 Pop Century
wfgamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:26 PM   #10
Summerl30
Mouseketeer

I would have a few back up options, but I don't think that this is a bad way to plan a vacation. If you will be disappointed that you don't get it, I'd pony up the loot and pay full price for the cruise you want.
Summerl30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:03 AM   #11
n8tivecaligirl
Mouseketeer

Don't count out holiday cruises On our up coming Christmas Dream cruise we have a few people in our "Dis" group that are *GT's they just got their rooms assigned a few weeks ago. so it is possible if thats something you are looking for.

n8tivecaligirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: