Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Disney Movies, Books, TV and Music
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2011, 01:22 PM   #16
Disney Von Drake
DIS Veteran

If you use a plasma or LCD TV of 60” or less, then a good upscaling DVD player will give you excellent resolution. The difference between Blu-ray and standard DVD upscaling is very slight. It’s kind of like the difference between Coke and Pepsi.
Disney Von Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 03:19 PM   #17
SouthernExplorer
Mouseketeer

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameisStitch View Post
I know Disney puts movies out for only a limited time so what do you know of that is available or upcoming?
I find this site to be informative:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/movies.php?studioid=2

I have a few Disney movies on Blu, but not sure of re-buying some that I already have on DVD. Having said that though, I did re-buy Beauty and the Beast on sale and the picture is crisp and clean. I also upgraded my fullscreen Cars to Blu, and it was like watching that movie for the very first time all over again! Very impressive.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-13-2011, 03:54 PM   #18
Rupert B Puppenstein
DIS Veteran

Is it really worth joining the Disney Blu-Ray club? They seem to delay the release of new movies as far as ones that you can join and get at the same time. You can purchase them, but not get them under the initial deal. I have all the Disney Animated Blu-Rays that have been released so far and I can't really single any of them out. They are all worth it.

I was surprised by the Princess and the Frog. I didn't think I would like it, but it was pretty good - not top 10, but still worth adding to my collection. I can't wait until they release more movies on Blu-ray. I would love to add Mary Poppins, Bedknobs and Broomsticks, Cinderella, and so many others!

It makes me wonder if Disney Blu-Rays don't sell very well...why release movies only on DVD? I understand doing it for the documentaries like "The Boys", "Waking Sleeping Beauty" and others...but they have to make Disney a lot more money!
Old 01-20-2011, 02:56 PM   #19
brdlyleon
Born with Mickey ears!

I was actually wondering, if anyone could help me out, about all the disney classics and whether or not Disney plans on releasing all of the other ones. I know they are in the middle of some with the Diamond edition (I just bought Beauty and the Beast and plan on getting Bambi, Fantasia combo pack, and Snow White really soon) but I would love to have the entire collection on bluray. so far I know of about 13 that have been released, diamond edition, on bluray, or just regular bluray, or that will be released this year. I'd love to have The three caballeros, the adventures of ichabod and mr. toad, and hercules on bluray, but I dont know if i should wait and get them later, IF they are released, or if I should go ahead and get them now for a good price of 15 bucks. Does anyone know about this?
brdlyleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:11 PM   #20
Micca
You gotta love a great plan like that
Will be spending some time with George Harrison
I have known whack-a-doodles in my day

I think Hercules might make it to BR someday, but doubtful about the others. The only way all of those Disney titles are going to make it to BR is if DVD becomes completely obsolete(like VHS is now), or if they convert them all to 3D(assuming that catches on). If having these titles on hand is important to you, I'd recommend getting the dvds You should shop around though, I'll bet you could do better than $15 each on ebay if you don't mind used copies.
Micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:20 PM   #21
brdlyleon
Born with Mickey ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micca View Post
I think Hercules might make it to BR someday, but doubtful about the others. The only way all of those Disney titles are going to make it to BR is if DVD becomes completely obsolete(like VHS is now), or if they convert them all to 3D(assuming that catches on). If having these titles on hand is important to you, I'd recommend getting the dvds You should shop around though, I'll bet you could do better than $15 each on ebay if you don't mind used copies.
lol is it bad I kinda do want new copies? I suppose I wouldnt mind it but I'd love to have them new and just have them, lol, and just save them for a day when I'm feeling down and just open the, for the first time. Yea I figured that was the situation, but do you believe bluray to become the new dvd? I'm not sure if itd happen but I dont believe those would ever come out on blu-ray. As for Hercules, yea i've been looking around because I know there are some random ones (Dinosaur, Chicken Little, Alice in Wonderland) but I wanted to know about the other popular ones, like Tarzan, Hunchback, and Pocahontas, as well as the least popular, like Black Cauldron, Great Mouse Detective, and Fox and the Hound (Disney's Dark Age)
Old 01-21-2011, 07:24 AM   #22
Micca

I completely understand wanting brand new copies of dvds. I just thought perhaps you might fill the gap with used copies.

I don't think blu-ray will become the new dvd, but that's because physical media is going to become obsolete. For those who do want to own content on physical media, dvd and blu-ray discs are likely the end of the line. This isn't going to happen anytime soon, but it is inevitable.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:55 PM   #23
brdlyleon
Born with Mickey ears!

Ah okay, I figured as much. It makes sense...thanks for helping!! I do had another inquiry though...out of the 50 that have been released thus far, how many of those do you think will get the blu-ray treatement? I figure all the golden age movies will, except maybe dumbo, then the silver age, of course, but I doubt any of the package films along with the dar age movies will probably make it. Then, of course, the renessaince, but after that, idk. I suppose pocahontas and mulan will make it, sense dinosaur and meet the robinsons are on blu-ray. i suppose we'll see.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:42 PM   #24
dazza5931
Mouseketeer

cars

for me cars is the best looking blu ray colours are outstanding with up just behind
dazza5931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 07:19 PM   #25
Micca

Quote:
Originally Posted by brdlyleon View Post
Ah okay, I figured as much. It makes sense...thanks for helping!! I do had another inquiry though...out of the 50 that have been released thus far, how many of those do you think will get the blu-ray treatement? I figure all the golden age movies will, except maybe dumbo, then the silver age, of course, but I doubt any of the package films along with the dar age movies will probably make it. Then, of course, the renessaince, but after that, idk. I suppose pocahontas and mulan will make it, sense dinosaur and meet the robinsons are on blu-ray. i suppose we'll see.
Tough question. Your hunches sound good to me.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:50 PM   #26
KCmike
Never have fallen asleep on any attraction
Nothing wrong for dreaming for sure

Beauty and the Beast
Wall E
Finding Nemo
Up
Princess and the Frog

All of these are wonderful in my opinion. Love the colors.
2013 WDW, Universal, and SeaWorld with the kids and their High School Marching Band Event
2012 Back to Disneyland for a late June/Early July Vacation|2011- WDW Grand Floridian/Port Orleans Riverside |2010 - Disneyland/Monterey 20th Anniversary Day trip and 1st time to see Christmas at any park (BWPPI)
2010 - Disneyland (Grand Californian) |2009 - Disneyland/San Francisco/Monterey/ Yosemite National Park (Disneyland Hotel) |2008 - Disneyland/San Diego (Hotel Del Coronado & Hojo) |2007 - Disneyland (Fairfield Inn) |2006 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |2004 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |1996 - WDW - Dixie Landings |1993 - WDW - Offsite |1992 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee |1990 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee

Gear:Canon 60d, Canon xti, and a few lenses
KCmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:52 PM   #27
RooRach0906
"Oh Goody, Horray!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by brdlyleon View Post
I just want to let you know that Dumbo is set to be relased on BluRay April 7.

As for the OP~ Both Narinas are Awesome on BluRay as well as Pirates of the Carribean, National Treasure, Monsters, Inc and The Nightmare Before Christmas.

On My Weight to Disney ~ weight loss blog
RooRach0906 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: