Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2011, 10:25 PM   #16
sharona
DIS Veteran

Re driving to MK - definitely not worth the trouble. However, we did enjoy the ferry ride the one time we used it since DD had never been on it and I had not been on in over 20 years. We kept saying we were going to take the monorail at least once but never made it.

All the other parks, driving/parking was fine.

Having done both, I found it was about even car vs. bus. There is no big advantage to either unless you're planning on going outside the World and must have the car. The buses can be crowded and sometimes the waiting stinks. Sometimes you have good timing and it's a quick and convenient experience. For driving, once you add in navigating around WDW (felt like we were always going in circles), being directed to the most inconvenient, furthest from the trams parking spot at least half the time and waiting for/taking the parking trams - it really is not that big of a time saver. The advantage to having the car, IMO, is getting to the WPs, DTD, CVS etc. and not having to deal w/ a big crush at park closing.

A great tip I read here was to take a picture of the end of your row where the parking lot name and row number are written on the ground. It really helped as after a day or two, all of the parking lots blend together and you'll be wandering the lot pushing your car remote trying to distinguish your rental car's beep from everyone else's.
sharona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:29 AM   #17
jsgrand0
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheila <3 WDW View Post
There is a transportation wizard on Our Laughing Place travels website (somewhere near the bottom) that I used both trips we've taken to determine the quickest way to get from point A to B. I can't remember where I read about it, but apparently they are really experienced in Disney stuff. It usually gives you a car time, bus, boat if available, and walking if available.
This sounds GREAT!! I'll check it out! Thanks!
Register to remove

Old 05-25-2011, 07:38 AM   #18
cam&phoebsmom
counting down the days until our next trip...

Quote:
Originally Posted by YodaGirl View Post
I was still thinking that, despite the time limit, resort parking was intended for visitors of the resort.

Not questioning you, just confused.
I checked before we parked because I did not want to break the rules and end up getting my car towed!
We went in the afternoon, went to Valet and asked if we had a time limit or if we could go to the parks. They said with a valet there was no time limit and no limits on where we could go once we left our car with the valet service.

Had we just been visiting the resort (as we did for dinner our 1st night) then we would have had a time limit (we did and made sure we were out of there in time).

Come check it out!
Pilgrims On The Move-A Thanksgiving Pre-Trip Report
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2764939
cam&phoebsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 07:54 AM   #19
jaysmom4285
DIS Veteran

Another source for driving times vs. bus times is the Unofficial Guide. They have a chart in there of estimated travel times among all the resorts and parks.
jaysmom4285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:02 AM   #20
lync
Mouseketeer

Not sure on the times but we prefer to drive our own car simply b/c at the end of the day, we are all tired and it's much easier to put our girls in our own car and not fight the crowds for the shuttles and then have to stand while holding at least one sleeping girl (while a teenage boy SITS and watches me...another topic for another post LOL).
lync is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:49 AM   #21
MickeyMinnieMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by YodaGirl View Post
I don't know exactly how long it takes, but under normal circumstances, it is significantly quicker to drive yourself.
Agreed. Shorter to drive for all parks except MK. We stay at BLT, so we walk to MK, monorail to Epcot, and drive to DHS and AK.

MickeyMinnieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:42 AM   #22
KSDisneyDad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharona View Post
Re driving to MK - definitely not worth the trouble. However, we did enjoy the ferry ride the one time we used it since DD had never been on it and I had not been on in over 20 years. We kept saying we were going to take the monorail at least once but never made it.

All the other parks, driving/parking was fine.

Having done both, I found it was about even car vs. bus. There is no big advantage to either unless you're planning on going outside the World and must have the car. The buses can be crowded and sometimes the waiting stinks. Sometimes you have good timing and it's a quick and convenient experience. For driving, once you add in navigating around WDW (felt like we were always going in circles), being directed to the most inconvenient, furthest from the trams parking spot at least half the time and waiting for/taking the parking trams - it really is not that big of a time saver. The advantage to having the car, IMO, is getting to the WPs, DTD, CVS etc. and not having to deal w/ a big crush at park closing.

A great tip I read here was to take a picture of the end of your row where the parking lot name and row number are written on the ground. It really helped as after a day or two, all of the parking lots blend together and you'll be wandering the lot pushing your car remote trying to distinguish your rental car's beep from everyone else's.
I will have to respectfully disagree with times being even for driving or taking a bus. That has not been our experience and nor is it the experience of those who wrote the Unofficial Guide to WDW. They timed driving vs Disney transportation to/from each of the resorts. Nearly all the time, driving is faster. They show the minimum/maximum times it takes and often, the maximum time driving is shorter than the minimum time on the bus. The one significant exception is to/from the MK. In that case, buses are generally faster than driving per the Unofficial Guide.

Perception does play a big role in it too. I think a lot of times, people estimate times incorrectly. If you are an impatient person standing in line for a bus, a 10 minute wait may be estimated to have taken 15 to 20 minutes. Another person who was busy talking to family/friends may estimate that 10 minute wait as only 5 minutes. Also, you commented that you felt you were just driving in circles around WDW. That is a perception as the same roads that you use to drive around are the same ones that the buses take. I have found that Disney signage is good and after driving around WDW and taking buses, that the buses don't always take the most direct route! This is especially true to DTD.

That's why I wouldn't rely on anecdotal evidence on these boards, but if you want to truly see what is faster, rely on a source where a team has taken numerous trips and timed those trips such as what the Unofficial Guide staff has done.

That said, speed is not the only factor in deciding what to do. If you don't like driving in new areas or have other issues with driving, then buses may be a better choice for you regardless of whether or not they are slower/faster than driving.

Finally, I do agree about the advice for driving to DTD or resort-to-resort. We found Disney transportation completely lacking when trying to get to/from DTD. It's almost like they don't want you to go there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmom4285 View Post
Another source for driving times vs. bus times is the Unofficial Guide. They have a chart in there of estimated travel times among all the resorts and parks.
I would rely on this chart and the minimum/maximum times for driving vs Disney transportation among all the resorts/parks. It will clearly show that driving is faster most of the time.
WDW - BCV (Jun '12) BLT (Jun '11); Boardwalk (Sep '10); Poly (Aug '07), CR (Nov '06), AKL (Nov '04, Sept '06), Swan (Dec '05), POR (Dec '98, Mar '10), POFQ (Mar '05), CSR (Nov '02), CBR (Jun '03), Sports (Dec99, Oct '01, Dec '02), Music (Aug '09), Movies (Dec '00, Aug '07), Pop (Jun '04 Jun '05)
DLR - August 2008 and January 2013 at DLH
DCL Gold CC Member: Magic Western (Sep-05, Sep-06); Magic Panama Canal Repo (Aug-08); Wonder 4-night (Mar-10 and Sept-10) Fantasy Eastern (Jun-12)

Next Trip: 6/15/2013 - 7-Night Eastern Caribbean Fantasy and BLT!
KSDisneyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:45 AM   #23
KSDisneyDad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lync View Post
Not sure on the times but we prefer to drive our own car simply b/c at the end of the day, we are all tired and it's much easier to put our girls in our own car and not fight the crowds for the shuttles and then have to stand while holding at least one sleeping girl (while a teenage boy SITS and watches me...another topic for another post LOL).
I agree! However, I do take offense to singling out teenage boys. It's men & women of all ages who will sit and watch you hold your sleeping child! I've witnessed it numerous times.

I learned a long time ago on the DIS, that if you want a seat, you have to wait for the next bus. Never ever expect anyone to give up their seat for you.

We teach our boys to pay attention to those around them and they now give up their seats without us having to ask. That caused us to have to stand on nearly every bus trip we had on our last trip. That was just one of many many reasons that we found we are indeed "car" people and will be budgeting a car rental on all future trips to the Mouse!
WDW - BCV (Jun '12) BLT (Jun '11); Boardwalk (Sep '10); Poly (Aug '07), CR (Nov '06), AKL (Nov '04, Sept '06), Swan (Dec '05), POR (Dec '98, Mar '10), POFQ (Mar '05), CSR (Nov '02), CBR (Jun '03), Sports (Dec99, Oct '01, Dec '02), Music (Aug '09), Movies (Dec '00, Aug '07), Pop (Jun '04 Jun '05)
DCL Gold CC Member: Magic Western (Sep-05, Sep-06); Magic Panama Canal Repo (Aug-08); Wonder 4-night (Mar-10 and Sept-10) Fantasy Eastern (Jun-12)

Old 05-25-2011, 10:05 AM   #24
dmccarty
DIS Veteran

We only use our car to get to ADRs otherwise we take the buses. The one time we had a real long wait was when ate at CG and went to MK to get back to AKV. We timed it just right so that we were leaving just as the park closed. The bigger issue was that there was a road closure effecting traffic to AKL/AKV. This really messed up the bus wait times. It was ugly. Eventually the CMs' brought in three buses and got the line moving. We waited maybe 45 minutes.

The wait stunk but we would not easily have found our way back to AKL/AKV in our car. There were signs and officers directing traffic but the route was very convoluted. We went into AKL/AKV by a rode that was not open to public traffic. This was the worst bus experience we ever had but it is an obvious exception.

We use the buses because it is easy and fast and never a problem except that one night. However I think the bus experience depends on the time of year, the resort, and the times you go to and from the parks. An advantage of staying at AKV is that buses stop there before going to AKL. We have stayed at both AKL and AKV and have seen the bus fill up and leave people behind at AKL. THAT stinks. At CBR getting a seat on a bus can depend on where your building is located compared to the bus route. Being at the last building could be a problem.

Since we got to the parks at RD, preferably EMH, this helps avoid the bus crush. If one waits to go to the parks at 0900 to 1100 in the morning with most people, the buses are going to be crowded. We are at the parks while most people are getting out of bed. We are usually heading back to the resorts as people are just getting there or going to lunch. This really helps avoid the bus crush.

Later,
Dan
Oct 2007 CBR
Apr 1998 and May 1997 CR
70's to 1997 too many trips to count.

Disney is a lens that focuses on people.
Sometimes it exposes the worst.
Most of the time it highlights the best.
dmccarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:13 AM   #25
puffkin
DVC Owner- SSR & AKV

We used to be pro-Disney transportation(10+ trips). Then we did 3-4 trips with a rental because we were doing some things offsite. Next trip we went back to no rental and by the Tuesday of our trip I had had enough and was online looking for a rental. We will now NEVER do Disney without a car again.

It is pretty much ALWAYS faster to drive. It is probably faster to take the bus/boat to MK, but we usually drive because DS loves the monorail and ferry. He also LOVES LOVES LOVES the trams...so much so that the only thing he wanted on our last trip was a light saber and a toy parking lot tram

We found that lots of times, even the recommended hour for Disney transportation wasn't enough. We usually allow about 30 minutes when driving. Except for the lights around DTD, most of the locations are within 10 minutes no matter what resort you stay at. You cannot believe how much stress driving eleviates for us!!! Worth every penny!

BTW, we had an 8 day Ford Escape rental through Alamo 2 weeks ago. My total cost was $87.37 (that includes all taxes). We put $29 of gas in it on the way back to the airport. I haven't seen prices like that in a LONG time, but for that price, it was a no brainer!!!!

Veteran of 25+ trips to the World
puffkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:22 AM   #26
sharona
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSDisneyDad;41239280[B
]I will have to respectfully disagree with times being even for driving or taking a bus.[/B] That has not been our experience and nor is it the experience of those who wrote the Unofficial Guide to WDW. They timed driving vs Disney transportation to/from each of the resorts. Nearly all the time, driving is faster. They show the minimum/maximum times it takes and often, the maximum time driving is shorter than the minimum time on the bus. The one significant exception is to/from the MK. In that case, buses are generally faster than driving per the Unofficial Guide.

Perception does play a big role in it too. I think a lot of times, people estimate times incorrectly. If you are an impatient person standing in line for a bus, a 10 minute wait may be estimated to have taken 15 to 20 minutes. Another person who was busy talking to family/friends may estimate that 10 minute wait as only 5 minutes. Also, you commented that you felt you were just driving in circles around WDW. That is a perception as the same roads that you use to drive around are the same ones that the buses take. I have found that Disney signage is good and after driving around WDW and taking buses, that the buses don't always take the most direct route! This is especially true to DTD.

That's why I wouldn't rely on anecdotal evidence on these boards, but if you want to truly see what is faster, rely on a source where a team has taken numerous trips and timed those trips such as what the Unofficial Guide staff has done.

That said, speed is not the only factor in deciding what to do. If you don't like driving in new areas or have other issues with driving, then buses may be a better choice for you regardless of whether or not they are slower/faster than driving.

Finally, I do agree about the advice for driving to DTD or resort-to-resort. We found Disney transportation completely lacking when trying to get to/from DTD. It's almost like they don't want you to go there.

I would rely on this chart and the minimum/maximum times for driving vs Disney transportation among all the resorts/parks. It will clearly show that driving is faster most of the time.
My conclusion that it was about equal was not in reference to travel time only. I should have been more clear that it was based on my experiences overall. There is a certain pita factor in driving/parking that, IMO, needs to be weighed against the time savings.

*Parking at your resort - may or may not be convenient/close to your room
*the way they sometimes park the lots back to front is annoying to me
*no shade waiting for the trams stinks if you arrive back from a break and have to wait in the hot sun
*the walk through the hot parking lot to your car and getting into a very hot car when you exit the park mid-day (I scorched my hands on the steering wheel and gear shift a few times)
*finding a spot in your resort lot (especially at night)

... again, nothing major - just annoyances that should be weighed against the time savings.

Overall, I enjoyed having the car and will probably rent one again next time but there are pros and cons.
sharona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:20 AM   #27
KSDisneyDad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharona View Post
My conclusion that it was about equal was not in reference to travel time only. I should have been more clear that it was based on my experiences overall. There is a certain pita factor in driving/parking that, IMO, needs to be weighed against the time savings.

*Parking at your resort - may or may not be convenient/close to your room
*the way they sometimes park the lots back to front is annoying to me
*no shade waiting for the trams stinks if you arrive back from a break and have to wait in the hot sun
*the walk through the hot parking lot to your car and getting into a very hot car when you exit the park mid-day (I scorched my hands on the steering wheel and gear shift a few times)
*finding a spot in your resort lot (especially at night)

... again, nothing major - just annoyances that should be weighed against the time savings.

Overall, I enjoyed having the car and will probably rent one again next time but there are pros and cons.
Love the term "pita factor"!

Sorry to misunderstand your post. The OP asked a question about driving time so when I saw that you said buses/cars were equal, I assumed that you were referring to driving time as well. I have seen many posters in the past suggest that buses are just as fast as driving.

I agree that you have to weigh the pros and cons and determine what works best for your own family. There is a pita factor to taking the busses too (standing in long lines often in the hot sun especially if staying at a Value resort, waiting for multiple buses at park closing, no formal queue at some locations causing a free-for-all especially at DTD, having to stand on the buses many times, lack of courtesy among fellow bus passengers, waiting for the loading of wheelchairs/strollers, no direct resort-to-resort transportation, multiple stops on many routes, etc.). However, buses are definitely cheaper if you don't want to leave WDW to buy grocery items, eat at less expensive restaurants, shop at the Character Premiere Outlet store or visit other Orlando or Florida attractions. That's why I've always suggested that families do what works best for them.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:27 AM   #28
TisBit
DIS Veteran

As others have said, there is a lot that goes into this question and results will vary, sometimes wildly. WDW is not the most easily navigatable by car, so often times a first timer there will have significantly different ride times vs a frequent visitor (insert mental picture of going 20 mph, trying to read signs, asking "is it saying turn here or the next one" to your passenger that just shrugs). And, GPS' can be a nightmare, if you have an older one it can take you to WDW mailing addresses for resorts instead of the real resort...blah blah blah.

But, in general it will be somewhat quicker to drive....but really only a matter of 10-15 minutes, sometimes a little less, sometimes a little more. Times I would definitely drive are at park closings (while you don't have to deal with crowded busses, you will be sitting in traffic), to DTD and water parks...these just suck on the busses and resort to resort.

The time differences between driving and bus is not enough to make me want to rent a car and the time we had a car, we only used it a couple of times, it was just easier to use the bus. Now, at least once a trip I will be sitting there wishing I had a car in the parking lot for one reason or another.
TisBit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:53 PM   #29
budafam
DIS Veteran

I had originally planned to use the buses vs. driving our own vehicle the entire time but ended up doing just the opposite. We did take the buses once and HATED it. It was crowded, loud & we just missed one of them leaving so it took another 15 minutes before another arrived. Totally wasted time. Never again.
budafam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 01:40 PM   #30
rob4059
Wishing My Way Back

I think driving is better. Even if you allow 15 min. for the parking lot shuttle, there is no trip from park to park or resort that will take more than 15 minutes.

on a bus you may get there in 30 min. On a rare occasion you may even get there in 20 (rare). More likely though, you'll wait. you'll wait for a bus. you'll wait for a seat. you'll wait while the bus stops at other stops before going to your stop. you'll wait to get off the bus. you may have to wait again if you need to connect on a second bus. No way the busses are better than driving. no way.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: