Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2012, 03:40 AM   #1
S. C.
Loves to snorkel
Swam with the dolphins
Got soaked on BTMRR
Another tag

5-Hour Energy, may be connected to 13 deaths over the past four years.

(WXYZ) - A spokeswoman for the U.S. Food and Drug Administration tells 7 Action News that 5-Hour Energy could be connected to 13 deaths over the last four years.
Those 13 deaths were reported by Living Essentials, the company that makes the drink
which is based in Farmington Hills.
The FDA also tells 7 Action News they've received outside reports that 33 people over the last four years have been hospitalized because of 5-Hour energy.
The company that distributes 5-Hour Energy released this statement to the New York Times , which first detailed the reports:

Read more: http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/REUTERS...#ixzz2CHLQ3Gs0
..................If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

There's a great big, beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day!

I've been BOO'ED!!!

S. C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:06 AM   #2
lorimay
DIS Veteran

Its scary isn't it?

We had a local Police Officer who passed away suddenly a while back. He was maybe in his late 20's early 30's. He was working the overnight shift and he had some kind of a physical activity to do the following morning for a position he wanted in the dept. After his death it came out in the local paper that he had drank as many as 4 or 5 of those exact drinks and they think thats what may have caused the heart attacked that killed him.

So sad. A family destroyed forever.
lorimay is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-15-2012, 08:22 AM   #3
Heidict
I'm not witty enough for a tag... but you can count on me to save all the good deleted posts!

So, basically they don't know anything? Just that this maybe could be something, but they aren't sure because no studies or anything have been done. They haven't even labeled 5 hour energy as the cause of death?

Heidict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:38 AM   #4
FireDancer
DIS Veteran

With the exception of coffee or tea I don't drink energy drinks but I'm not sure if I believe 5-hour energy is the cause of the deaths. Even with the cop mentioned above it doesn't sound like 5-hour energy was the problem, having 4 or 5 of them were the problem. Too much of just about anything can cause something that is safe to become dangerous.

I'm going to hold off judgment on this one until there is more evidence.
FireDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:41 AM   #5
lorimay
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDancer View Post
With the exception of coffee or tea I don't drink energy drinks but I'm not sure if I believe 5-hour energy is the cause of the deaths. Even with the cop mentioned above it doesn't sound like 5-hour energy was the problem, having 4 or 5 of them were the problem. Too much of just about anything can cause something that is safe to become dangerous.

I agree with you he should have never had that many in his system. I also wonder how often he did that.
lorimay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:55 AM   #6
Heidict
I'm not witty enough for a tag... but you can count on me to save all the good deleted posts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDancer View Post

Or until there is ANY evidence.

Heidict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:10 AM   #7
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

I meant to ask about these

So I know I'm slow to catch onto popular stuff and I've seen hour energy but what is it made of? Is it just like a shot of expresso?

My sons were atheletes in H.S. but they weren't allowed to drink it. Coach didn't like them. they were mainly gatorade guys and water.

Some one suggested I buy some when I was complaining about having to drive my youngest to college in Cincinnati from NJ but I just did it the old fashion way (got a good nights sleep and took plenty of breaks)

E
eliza61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:19 AM   #8
Hillbeans
If you're bored, please read a book or watch TV...TFs are scared of eyebrowless people
Pulled an "Agony of Defeat" at the mall
"I told them that I liked Michael Bolton!"

Having 4 or 5 of those energy drinks in a row is the problem, IMO.

If I took 4 or 5 prescription pills instead of taking 1 at a time i'd probably be sent to the hospital. Almost anything in excess, even drinking too much water at one time, can be lethal. I get the feeling if he was taking this many of these during one shift it wasn't a one time thing and he probably had a heart attack.
1977 - 1st Trip, 1982, 2nd Trip & EPCOT, 2003 - AKL, 2004 2 trips - Marriott World and POFQ, July 2005 - Grand Gathering - Emerald Isle - Coronado, Beach Club Villas, Dolphin - Mar/Apr 2007 - Mom's meet June '08, Grand Gathering # 2 - July '08 - Bought DVC July '08- First DVC trip to BWV June '09 - AKV Jambo Poly 2010, BCV June 2011, Disney Fantasy Eastern Cruise 11/2012, Disney Magic 11/2/14
Hillbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:27 AM   #9
FireDancer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61 View Post
So I know I'm slow to catch onto popular stuff and I've seen hour energy but what is it made of? Is it just like a shot of expresso?

My sons were atheletes in H.S. but they weren't allowed to drink it. Coach didn't like them. they were mainly gatorade guys and water.

Some one suggested I buy some when I was complaining about having to drive my youngest to college in Cincinnati from NJ but I just did it the old fashion way (got a good nights sleep and took plenty of breaks)

E
It uses a collection of B vitamins along with caffeine and some amino acids to boost energy. Unless you have a genetic condition called phenylketonuria or a heart condition that makes the ingestion of caffeine dangerous it doesn't appear to be a dangerous drink, at least not if you don't drink too much of it. Niacin, or B3, can cause you to feel skin irritation but it isn't dangerous, just annoying.

I wouldn't drink it personally but not because I think it is dangerous, I just think it is more marketing than substance.
FireDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:37 AM   #10
DeaverTex
Smelling like a horse doesn't make you a cavalryman
I'd wear a pair. I might even be able to get Mrs. Tex to wear some
I need to provide sufficient background in every post to make sense

What little I've seen about this reminds me about the FDA wanting to ban Alka Seltzer back in the 1960's. It seems that they took a large bottle of the stuff, ground up all of the tablets, and force fed the whole mess to a lab rat.

A few minutes later, the rat exploded.

If somebody wants to shoot a half dozen of these little energy bombs, then I'd expect that all that stimulant to have some sort of physiological effects. They're meant to be used individually -- One. At. A. Time.

7-10 October 2012 - POR
Nothing else planned right now.

I've been BOO'ED!!!
DeaverTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:21 AM   #11
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

There was some talk about Monster drinks being dangerous too. I think that like 5 Hour Energy, overuse seemed to be the problem rather than the substance itself.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:44 AM   #12
jodifla

DIS Veteran

I work night shifts, and occassionally use these.

I have to say, they really work. Better than coffee. I'm more alert and aware within 10 minutes of drinking them, but they only last the five hours, so I'm not all wired up when I go to bed at 2 a.m.

The reports don't worry me....the link seems very loose.
jodifla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:59 PM   #13
NotUrsula
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61 View Post

E
Each shot has around 200 mg. of caffeine. Starbucks Bold has about 260 per 12 oz. cup, and Extra-Strength No-Doz has about 200 mg. per pill. (Note that SB coffee is extra-caffeineated; the stuff you brew at home is normally not near that strong. Also, contrary to common belief, the lighter you roast the beans, the more caffeine they retain. Dark roasting normally burns off a lot of the caffeine in coffee.)

The difference between taking several of these shots and drinking several cups of strong coffee is that with the coffee it takes longer to consume it and you will likely excrete a portion of it before it is absorbed, just because of the sheer volume of liquid.

If you are not normally a consumer of caffeine, then chunking down 1000 mg. or so very quickly could definitely put some unaccustomed strain on your heart. One of the most common issues with caffeine-related heart events is that excess caffeine has been mixed with alcohol or cold medicines, which can also have that effect.
NotUrsula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:04 PM   #14
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidict View Post
So, basically they don't know anything? Just that this maybe could be something, but they aren't sure because no studies or anything have been done. They haven't even labeled 5 hour energy as the cause of death?
This plus...were there other factors? Did they drink 6 of them or something?
Old 11-15-2012, 01:07 PM   #15
newt2
Mouseketeer

Seems a bit sensationalist.

458 people, on average, die from Tylenol each year.

Compared to 13 over four years, that's quite a bit but we don't see people making an issue out of it.
newt2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: