Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports > Disney Cruise Line Pre-Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2014, 03:49 PM   #31
tmarie
Earning My Ears

Last night we finally told our girls about the cruise and all I can say is it was AWESOME!!! I had created a scavenger hunt around the house - with the main idea being that they had to work together as a team to find all of the clues. The last clue led the girls back to the living room where there were three gifts waiting for them. I had cute little poems written about each gift with instructions on when they could open them. Each gift was something that would be taken on the cruise but they didn't figure that out until after the big reveal. (Gift #1 was a swimsuit, Gift #2 was a new outfit with the shirt saying Bon Voyage and Gift #3 was a chunky beaded necklace that had Minnie beads in it) After they opened all of the gifts the girls were so excited and thankful - little did they know that we weren't done yet! They sat back down and read one final poem out loud that said " The scavenger hunt is done and the presents are too, so there is only one thing left to do. We have something important that we want to say and we wanted to do it in a very special way. We are telling you now without delay that in 128 days you'll be on the.........DISNEY FANTASY!!! Of course the last page of the poem had a picture of the boat and Disney characters. Their reaction was PRICELESS. They screamed and cried, hugged us, cried some more. And then we told them the cruise would be going to Castaway Cay and I thought they just might fall over. Twenty minutes later, my oldest daughter was still crying. I'm so glad that we were able to capture all of it on video as it was an incredible moment for all of us.....and the BEST is yet to come!!!
tmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 03:39 AM   #32
Castillo Mom
DIS Veteran

My niece and nephew are 6 and 4 so my sister and I couldn't decide whether to tell then in advance or not. Well, neither of us are great at keeping secrets! We decided to let them in on it since planning and anticipation is part of the fun.

We didn't do anything that spectacular but we still had a blast. My son and I made a Mickey countdown chain. We then planned a little get together at my sister's house where we videotaped the reveal. We simply told them that we were taking them on the Mickey boat and they were super excited! We celebrated by putting up the countdown chain for them and explained that each day they could take turns removing a link and that the chain would get shorter and shorter as the day gets closer. I made Mickey cupcakes for us and Conk Coolers for the grown ups!

We're really glad we told them because we've been able to include them in the planning. The countdown chain has been great and eliminates them asking how many more days we have to go!
8/8/09-8/21/09 SSR/AKV Kidani Village
9/24/11-10/5/11 AKV Kidani Village
6/14/12-6/20/12 Disney Dream Double Dip

7/19/12-7/22/12 Hilton Head

7/24/12-7/31/12
Beach Club Resort
Castillo Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-13-2014, 05:09 PM   #33
davidmolliesmum
i must resist chocolate... i must resist chocolate....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmarie View Post
Last night we finally told our girls about the cruise and all I can say is it was AWESOME!!! I had created a scavenger hunt around the house - with the main idea being that they had to work together as a team to find all of the clues. The last clue led the girls back to the living room where there were three gifts waiting for them. I had cute little poems written about each gift with instructions on when they could open them. Each gift was something that would be taken on the cruise but they didn't figure that out until after the big reveal. (Gift #1 was a swimsuit, Gift #2 was a new outfit with the shirt saying Bon Voyage and Gift #3 was a chunky beaded necklace that had Minnie beads in it) After they opened all of the gifts the girls were so excited and thankful - little did they know that we weren't done yet! They sat back down and read one final poem out loud that said " The scavenger hunt is done and the presents are too, so there is only one thing left to do. We have something important that we want to say and we wanted to do it in a very special way. We are telling you now without delay that in 128 days you'll be on the.........DISNEY FANTASY!!! Of course the last page of the poem had a picture of the boat and Disney characters. Their reaction was PRICELESS. They screamed and cried, hugged us, cried some more. And then we told them the cruise would be going to Castaway Cay and I thought they just might fall over. Twenty minutes later, my oldest daughter was still crying. I'm so glad that we were able to capture all of it on video as it was an incredible moment for all of us.....and the BEST is yet to come!!!
amazing!!!!!!
September 2014; Disney Villa & 1st DisneyCruise,September 2013; Southern Dunes, August 2012: Southern Dunes, September 2011: Southern Dunes, September 2010 All Star Sports, June 2009: Kissimmee, June 2008: Southern Dunes, June 2007: Pop Century and Wedding!
Me DH DS10 DD8

davidmolliesmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 05:38 PM   #34
tmarie
Earning My Ears

davidmolliesmum - Thank you SO much!! Your trip is coming up fast........Have a Wonderful Time!!!
Old 08-14-2014, 10:44 AM   #35
davidmolliesmum
i must resist chocolate... i must resist chocolate....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmarie View Post
davidmolliesmum - Thank you SO much!! Your trip is coming up fast........Have a Wonderful Time!!!
thank you! so excited.... our kids will find out in a few weeks... i'm having someone make cupcakes; with anchors, cruiseships, mickey & minnies along with a lovely letter made up by a fellow DISer over on the creative boards.... as our 'reveal' to the children...
September 2014; Disney Villa & 1st DisneyCruise,September 2013; Southern Dunes, August 2012: Southern Dunes, September 2011: Southern Dunes, September 2010 All Star Sports, June 2009: Kissimmee, June 2008: Southern Dunes, June 2007: Pop Century and Wedding!
Me DH DS10 DD8

davidmolliesmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 12:25 PM   #36
tmarie
Earning My Ears

Ohhhhhhhhhh...........that is going to be Awesome!!! It's so hard to keep the secret, right?? I bet you just can't wait to see their little faces when you reveal the great surprise!
Old 08-14-2014, 05:25 PM   #37
YOLOSOGO
DCL Gold

First Cruise-Keepin the Secret

I'l never forget our first Disney Cruise. We told our two boys we were going to DisneyWorld, where they'd been before. Then as we're approaching the port, we point out the ship & say something like,
"Did you know that Disney has a cruise ship too? Look, you can see it right there! Man, can you believe those lucky people...that would be really cool...maybe we should try that sometime?"
Then listen to their comments...then say,
"Well prepare to freak out because you're the lucky ones this time & that boat is waiting for us!!"
Then they freaked & screamed and laughed & it was awesome! Best vacation ever, and we've been 5 more times, but the first was just so exciting and since they were young, it was easier to keep the secret and seeing their reaction was priceless!!
YOLOSOGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:03 PM   #38
BGHindman
Earning My Ears

Our first Disney cruise

I had the cruise booked for 15 months. We were on the 8th sailing of the Fantasy. We scheduled our character call for the morning that we boarded the ship, so Mickey got to break the very exciting news. It was a perfectly magical moment for us all!
BGHindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 08:47 AM   #39
wrighter
DIS Veteran

We will be revealing our 4/2015 cruise to our kids (11 and 9) at Christmas. There is no way I can hide it from them in those last few months! As it is I can't believe I will have kept the secret for almost a year. And they're old enough that we'd love to let them help plan.

We've done big WDW surprise trips and I am really looking forward to building up some excitement for our first cruise. They've been asking to go on one for years, and I can't believe we finally caved! :-)

As of this moment I think we'll definitely do a scavenger hunt, but with no clues about the end result along the way. I want them to be totally confused until the last moment. Can't wait to see that moment of recognition! :-)

Good luck to all of us who have a "reveal" of some sort coming up!
April 2014 Animal Kingdom Villas-----October 2014 Boardwalk Villas-----April 2015 Family Reunion at Saratoga Springs
wrighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 11:15 AM   #40
PhillyCruiser
Earning My Ears

We've talked about a Disney cruise for a while. We even have a "Mickey Bucket", a huge plastic jug that we toss loose change into so we can "save" for our cruise as a family! We finally booked one (DREAM, 4/2015). DS8 & DD6 have no idea. The "reveal": We'll pick them up from school early and surprise them in a "secret message" they'll have to decode together...while we're en route to the airport!

Silversea: Silver Spirit - Jan. 2013
Silversea: Silver Spirit - Dec. 2013
WDW: 1978 (yeah, it's been a while...)
Disney Dream: Coming Soon!! April, 2015
PhillyCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 05:43 PM   #41
MommyAJof2Girls
Earning My Ears

I told my girls (ages 10 & 13) that we were going to start planning for a vacation and started to get their "input". The Disney cruise was one of the ideas, but I shook it off as it being too expensive.

I booked the Dream cruise for Dec 2015, so we have some time. I took money out of our 2014 Christmas fund for our deposit and we are "cutting back" on birthday celebrations next year. I am still figuring out how I want to tell them we are going - they will be 11 & 14.

Any suggestions??

AJ
MommyAJof2Girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 05:44 PM   #42
MommyAJof2Girls
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyCruiser View Post
We've talked about a Disney cruise for a while. We even have a "Mickey Bucket", a huge plastic jug that we toss loose change into so we can "save" for our cruise as a family! We finally booked one (DREAM, 4/2015). DS8 & DD6 have no idea. The "reveal": We'll pick them up from school early and surprise them in a "secret message" they'll have to decode together...while we're en route to the airport!
Love this idea! Thanks for sharing.
MommyAJof2Girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 09:43 PM   #43
PhillyCruiser
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyAJof2Girls View Post
Love this idea! Thanks for sharing.
Shop Etsy for personalized "secret message" cards. I got mine from Crankbunny. Message up to 25 letters. Mine reads: "Going on Disney Cruise Today". Card arrived last week; excellent quality. Kids are gonna love it! DH thinks it's brilliant!

Mom ROCKS!

Silversea: Silver Spirit - Jan. 2013
Silversea: Silver Spirit - Dec. 2013
WDW: 1978 (yeah, it's been a while...)
Disney Dream: Coming Soon!! April, 2015
PhillyCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: