Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2012, 11:44 PM   #1
Deanie1
Mouseketeer

Kona Cafe or Paradiso 37?

I am rethinking our ADR for Kona Cafe in early Dec. We will be coming back to WDW around 7pm after IOA so we would like something easy to get back to POR from. I thought we could catch our resort bus from MK. The big problem with Kona Cafe is that it is heavy on the seafood and nuts, both of which my sister is allergic to. something at DTD might be good. We are already doing Raglan Road. ACny suggestions? Or should we keep Kona?
Deanie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:30 AM   #2
parkhopping
DIS Veteran

I have never been to Kona, but have eaten at Paradiso 37. The food was decent but it was very loud inside the restaurant due to live entertainment. It was hard to have a conversation with those at my table. So...I would probably not recommend it to others. May I suggest Portobello? It's an Italian restaurant at DTD, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. They have patio seating by the lagoon, which provides a nice atmosphere, and the food was delicious.

MK '99 ~ WDW vacation '01 (ASMu) ~ DL/DCA '03 ~ Now a FL resident seasonal passholder!
Everything you ever wanted to know about Be Our Guest
parkhopping is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-09-2012, 05:31 AM   #3
mom2of2
Let the good times strolllllll!
Don't we just get tickeled at the smallest things?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanie1
I am rethinking our ADR for Kona Cafe in early Dec. We will be coming back to WDW around 7pm after IOA so we would like something easy to get back to POR from. I thought we could catch our resort bus from MK. The big problem with Kona Cafe is that it is heavy on the seafood and nuts, both of which my sister is allergic to. something at DTD might be good. We are already doing Raglan Road. ACny suggestions? Or should we keep Kona?
Please dont let your sisters allergies stand in the way of you dining at Kona or any other Disney owned restaurant. Disney is fantastic about allergies. As long as you alert your server about the allergies, the chef will visit your table, discuss the dietary needs and have her meal prepared in a safe area.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:26 AM   #4
DisneyDetective
DIS Veteran

I would keep Kona cafe as its a far nicer restaurant. We went to Paradiso this year and really disappointed. The food was cold and the service was very slow (and wasn't that busy). We have had several lovely meals at Kona ESP the Tuna!
Old 10-09-2012, 08:52 AM   #5
Tanyabeth8
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanie1
I just ate at Kona about a week ago and would highly recommend it. We had great service and delicious food. I had the ahi tuna and it was amazing (pic below).

Tanyabeth8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:13 PM   #6
Roxychica7
DIS Veteran

We've had Kona for dinner and breakfast. Both were delicious! I'd stick with Kona Cafe!
Jess (Me)-29 Blake (DF)-28 Our Italian Greyhound and our salt water tank
WHY did you do it? 2010
Upcoming Trip: Pop Century!
Roxychica7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:12 PM   #7
luvlumpy
Mouseketeer

We just ate at Kona last week and friends of ours were there at the same time. Their daughter is highly allergic to most foods and they said the chef at Kona was the most accommodating of their whole trip. They really enjoyed it!
Old 10-09-2012, 07:30 PM   #8
Dizzytime
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanie1 View Post
Shoot, Deanie1, after re-readiing your post a couple times I guess I've not sure if it's a transportation or location problem, but...
Don't stay away from Kona because of seafood and nuts. I guess you've seen the menu, but Kona has WONDERFUL food and think you could avoid whatever meals/ ingredients that may be needed.

Ps , Raglan Road is favorite of ours, also a Wonderful restaurant!
Dizzytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:55 AM   #9
Deanie1
Mouseketeer

Okay, you all have me convinced - Kona, it is. I guess as our trip gets closer, I start doubting my decisions. Does anyone else do this? The issue was mostly about allergies but I figured that Kona would be easy to get back to POR from. We could just catch the MK bus back "home" I had no idea that Paradiso was so loud, never having been there. Thanks for the thumbs up for Raglan Rd. I have never been there and am really looking forward to it!
Deanie1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: