Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2013, 05:46 PM   #1
kiwi2013
Mouseketeer

Food allergies..where to eat in EPCOT

Having a hard time finding places to eat in Epcot due to allergies(peanut, tree nut and shellfish)....I really wanted to do Coral Reef due to the atmosphere but they serve mostly shellfish and cross contamination is to big a chance to take ...any suggestions??
kiwi2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:56 PM   #2
Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF DISNEY LOVER
Mom to 2 beautiful young ladies
SIGNS TO OLDIES ON THE RADIO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi2013 View Post
Having a hard time finding places to eat in Epcot due to allergies(peanut, tree nut and shellfish)....I really wanted to do Coral Reef due to the atmosphere but they serve mostly shellfish and cross contamination is to big a chance to take ...any suggestions??
I have a LTA to shellfish as well as mango. I had no problems with Coral Reef. The restaurant I advised to avoid was the Japanese restaurant because they cannot guarantee no cross contamination due to language issues. This advise was from a person at Disney who is a friend and researched it for me.

Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF Disney Lover
Talking Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-29-2013, 08:05 PM   #3
mistysue
DIS Veteran

I've been told sunshine seasons. I found it overwhelming to even order there because DD was having a bad day so I couldn't figure it out so no personal experience there.

It's a common comment to avoid most of the world showcase. A lot of the showcase is not Disney owned and there are language issues at a few places. We've had a great time at Rose and Crown and Biergarten.

I like vacations.
mistysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:36 PM   #4
CarrieR
DIS Veteran

Le Cellier has always been tops for us. We'll be trying Garden Grill next trip, fingers crossed it goes well!
CarrieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:52 AM   #5
kiwi2013
Mouseketeer

We did Garden Grill in Epcot during our last visit and they wait staff and chef were very good regarding our allergies.....Le Cellier, well the wait staff kept asking us if we wanted gluten free bread even though our allergies were peanut, tree nut and shellfish....once the chef was notified things were easier
kiwi2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:25 AM   #6
hildarumpole
DIS Veteran

My kids have the same allergies. We've dined at Coral Reef 4 times and plan on going again this year. The chefs have always been excellent at handling their allergies. My daughter is even able to get the Chocolate Wave dessert. Most places only offer her a fruit cup or plain vanilla ice cream. Teppan Edo was another fantastic experience. The waitress, chef and manager all talked to us about the kids' allergies and double-checked throughout the cooking process and meal to make sure everything was o.k. There were no language barriers. Watching the food being prepared and the care expressed by the staff gave us confidence that everything was safe. Tutto Italia was also very careful. The manager handles the allergies, relaying the info to the chef, because the staff doesn't speak English well. He even served the kids' food. Biergarten and Marrakesh are good, too. The only places we've been advised to avoid are Chinese, Mexican, and French.
hildarumpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:33 AM   #7
MushLRC
Mouseketeer

My son has a peanut allergy. I really must say that Disney is OUTSTANDING when it comes to food allergies. You let them know in advance when you make your ADR's what your issues are. When you arrive they know you have an allergy and they have alerted the Chef to come to your table and consult with you. I have had more than 1 Chef make special "not on the menu" meals or adjustments to make sure my sone had a WONDERFUL meal. I sucks sometimes seeing everyone else getting to eat things that you cannot. It was so awesome that they went out of their way to make him feel like he was getting something special himself.

I also had several QS meals where I inquired with the staff about their food items. On more than 1 occasion I had either a manager or a chef come out and hook us up with some extra peanut free goodies. Many of the desserts with the QS meals are not safe for DS so they had special allergen free cookies behind the counter

MushLRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:58 AM   #8
stackyallred
DIS Veteran

I'm not sure if you are interested in eating at the Boardwalk area (easily accessible by walking 5-10 min from the world showcase area), but Kouzinna by Cat Cora is FANTASTIC with allergies. I have 40+ allergies/intolerances, some very rare (peanut included) and they were excellent. They were friendly and went out of their way to be sure I even had bread before the meal which no other chef was able to do due to my dairy/wheat/egg/flax allergies. It was so nice to not just sit there and watch DH enjoy bread! It was one of our very best meals on our last trip. I made the reservation based on another Disser's suggestion after her great experience. As far as table service, I think if peanut is all you're avoiding, Sunshine Seasons should be a good option, but like others have mentioned it is a little overwhelming if it is busy. I had one helpful chef at one meal and another "ok" chef another time. I wasn't concerned the meal wasn't safe, he just didn't seem interested in helping me understand my options and I waited 15 minutes to talk to him (it was dead in there so it wasn't cause it was busy). I didn't mind the wait I just knew the first chef helped a lot more so I felt a little put off by the 2nd chef. Good luck!

Honeymoon @ ASM 2003 / Caribbean Beach Resort 2005 / DL 2006 / Bonnet Creek Resort 2007 /
Pop 2008 x2 / POP 2009 / POP 2010 / WBC & BWV 2011 / POP 2012 / POP & AKL 2013/ AKL & POP 2014
The Hamstring of Sadness Will Not Defeat the Magic! A TR of sacrificial joy!
stackyallred is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: