Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2012, 09:25 AM   #31
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony67 View Post
I think there was a time when WS was more authentic, but after the first year of the DDP things had to change.

The problem (IMO) is that when the food plan came in the menus had to be changed to appeal to a wider audience.

I recall talking to several of the staff in the restaurants about this and the issues were people ordering the most expensive thing on the menu (because they wanted to get value for money) and then sending it back because it was not appealing to them. In addition they needed to operate within the constraints of the DDP reimbursement and things like the daily chefs specials went away.

Overall considering it is a theme park in the US and have to appeal to a wider range of people because of the DDP I think they do an OK job – but don’t expect it to be as good as the real thing.
I remember someone at Le Cellier saying they had a problem when the dining plan started with people doing things like ordering mussels because they were expensive, then sending them back because they didn't know what mussels were and didn't want to eat them once they found out.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:57 AM   #32
BlovesC
home is where the Yeti is!
When the ride attendants ask me to tug on the yellow strap on my seatbelt, I never do it. I just stare at them in defiance

Location: Originally Jersey Shore, now Central FL (hopefully not for much longer)

I actually think the newly redone counter service in Japan, Katsura Grill, is more authentic than its predecessor, Yakitori House. The menu's very reminiscent of a typical quick lunch spot, even if it's sort of a smorgasbord of different things. Still features the lame "teriyaki chicken" of Yakitori, but the katsu curry, udon, and okonomiyaki are quite good!
BlovesC is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-11-2012, 10:27 AM   #33
princessallegra
They call me Mrs. Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlovesC
I actually think the newly redone counter service in Japan, Katsura Grill, is more authentic than its predecessor, Yakitori House. The menu's very reminiscent of a typical quick lunch spot, even if it's sort of a smorgasbord of different things. Still features the lame "teriyaki chicken" of Yakitori, but the katsu curry, udon, and okonomiyaki are quite good!
I'll have to try this next time!

ASMU '95WL '05POP/POFQ '06ASMU '07POLY CL '09WL CL June '10ASMu Suite Nov '10CSR June '11POR Princess 1/2 '12ASp/CSR/AKL '12 ToT 10 Miler CSR '13
princessallegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:23 PM   #34
pixie08
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlovesC View Post
Interesting...thanks for the heads up! I am definitely going to give this a shot.

pixie08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:14 PM   #35
Tropical Wilds
The Command considers us a bunch of losers. But we’re gonna do it right this time, ’cause we’re the best. If we don’t... We’ll be drummed out of the corps.

I lived in Bremerhaven in Germany for several months, my mother (first generation American from German parents who fled during WWII) spent her entire childhood in Germany. My mother always, always eats at Biergarten because it reminds her of Germany.

I hadn't eaten there until the last trip and I was not expecting that much, but after trying it, it's now a must-stop because it reminds me SO MUCH of the food that we got in Germany. Some of it is slightly Americanized (Germans love adding liver and anchovies to their mushroom sauces... Thankfully Biergarten lets that one fall to the wayside), but on a whole, most of it is insanely authentic. It reminded me so much of those hausfrau dinners that the women would make, the meals at the farmer's markets, and festival food, and it made me a little misty. It's been awhile since I'd had that style of food.

The only place that authenticity flies right out the window is their dessert offerings... That is highly Americanized, but that's because the German and American ideas of after-dinner food is different. Americans prefer sweet, Germans prefer palate cleansers and lighter fare. Traditional "desserts" in Germany were bread with butter or cheese, cold meats, cheese plates, and wine or lighter beers. In fact, most Germans (at least in Bremerhaven) thought the idea of cake or ice cream, puddings, or cookies as an after dinner finisher was revolting.

I also agree that Katsura is pretty authentic, though that's not based off of me going there but the local Japanese place that we have nearby. It's run by a Japanese family who can't even speak English and the menu is picture-only... They couldn't explain it if they had to. And a lot of what Katsura serves resembles it very strongly.
11/1994 ~ CBR, 11/1996 ~ CBR, 11/1999 ~ Off-site (Grad Night!), 11/2007 ~ CBR, 9/2011 ~ ASMu, 1/2012 ~ POP, 10/2012 ~ POP, 1/2013 ~ Poly, 5/2013 ~ POP, 11/7/2013 ~ CBR Wine and Dine Half Marathon! 2/2014 ~ Poly Glass Slipper Challenge

Next trip: 11/2014 ~ Wine and Dine Half 5th Anniversary

°o°Find Me on Flickr°o°My Blog - The Disney Chef°o°
Tropical Wilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:31 PM   #36
GeorgeG
Stumped for 2005
You can keep the pickles
I fully intend to be a ghost when it's my turn

I've never been an adventurous eater and even my wife says cooking for me is boring. In countries I've traveled to I prefer eating food that is as American as I can find (burgers, pizza, steak, etc.), so I'm probably not the best one to comment on WS restaurants since I look for the same there. However, since we're talking about what's authentic I have to climb aboard my hot dog soapbox. You'd think that in the "great American theme parks" we all know at Walt Disney World you'd be able to find an abundance of authentic American hot dogs, you know, all-beef on a traditional white bun. Disney can't even get that right. Hot dogs that are 60% chicken and 40% beef and served on tasteless wheat crumble buns are an embarassment. Folks, it's only a matter of time before even the popcorn is fake.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:12 PM   #37
Melodious
DIS Veteran

The thing about this question is what is authentic? Where I live it seems that everyone has a German grandmother who makes potato salad and none of them taste the same to me.

I've traveled around Ireland and England and eaten a lot of fish and chips. They varied a lot in quality. Which is authentic? The best that I've eaten, even though most of them weren't like that? Is it an average of the quality that's most authentic? What if the ones I had in London were different than the ones that I ate in the Peake District?

I've also traveled through Rome, Florence, and Venice in Italy and every day that I was there I would have a Bellini before dinner. None of them were the same even in the same city and some varied so wildly they had almost nothing in common with each other. Some of them were almost clear and some were a dark brown with peach juice.

Maybe the pizza you had at that one great place in Italy was nothing like the pizza I had at another place in Italy and now we're going to debate on whether Via Napoli has authentic Italian pizza
Old 10-11-2012, 11:46 PM   #38
WILDERNESS FAN 55
CANNOT GET ENOUGH

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeG View Post
I've never been an adventurous eater and even my wife says cooking for me is boring. In countries I've traveled to I prefer eating food that is as American as I can find (burgers, pizza, steak, etc.), so I'm probably not the best one to comment on WS restaurants since I look for the same there. However, since we're talking about what's authentic I have to climb aboard my hot dog soapbox. You'd think that in the "great American theme parks" we all know at Walt Disney World you'd be able to find an abundance of authentic American hot dogs, you know, all-beef on a traditional white bun. Disney can't even get that right. Hot dogs that are 60% chicken and 40% beef and served on tasteless wheat crumble buns are an embarassment. Folks, it's only a matter of time before even the popcorn is fake.
I love the burgers and my daughter loves the hot dogs! Agreed they aren't the best I've ever had but they do need to serve 1000's of them every day.I cut them some slack and if I want a great meal choose one of the other restaurants.

Off site 72-76-76-77-78(MM 50th b-day) 79-81-82-85-86 FW-84-86-88-90-90-91-92-95-96
Poly 87 GF 88 CR 90 CBR 91-06-10
Disney Inn 93 ASM 95-96-02 CS 98
POFQ 97 DIXIE Landing 00 POR 07-08 WL-11
DL-Honeymoon-77 03 OKW -13 BLT-13 BWV-13
Trips planned 2015 WDW 2016 Aulani 2017 WDW XMAS
WILDERNESS FAN 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:02 AM   #39
fitzperry
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodious View Post
The thing about this question is what is authentic?

I've traveled around Ireland and England and eaten a lot of fish and chips. They varied a lot in quality. Which is authentic? The best that I've eaten, even though most of them weren't like that? Is it an average of the quality that's most authentic? What if the ones I had in London were different than the ones that I ate in the Peake District?

I've also traveled through Rome, Florence, and Venice in Italy and every day that I was there I would have a Bellini before dinner. None of them were the same even in the same city and some varied so wildly they had almost nothing in common with each other. Some of them were almost clear and some were a dark brown with peach juice.

Maybe the pizza you had at that one great place in Italy was nothing like the pizza I had at another place in Italy and now we're going to debate on whether Via Napoli has authentic Italian pizza
To some degree, I was simply trying to come up with a slightly more objective and useful standard than "what's the best place to eat in WS?" As I mentioned in my original post, we've been mostly underwhelmed with the food we've had there, so I'm looking for other places to try. And as I mentioned in another post, I'm fairly well-traveled and eat out a great deal, so I'm well aware that the ingredients/presentation/etc. of a particular dish often vary according to region and other factors, and I understand that "authenticity" is also not a perfect standard. But I'd rather not have ethnic food that's had most of the ethnicity removed to appeal to the American palate, so to speak. I was looking for WS restaurants that fit that bill as closely as possible, not trying to start a debate about whose grandmother makes the best German potato salad.

At this point, I have Tangierine, Biergarten, and Katsura on my short list.

fitzperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:38 AM   #40
WILDERNESS FAN 55
CANNOT GET ENOUGH

Biergarten is fun and food is good. On vacation that's all you can ask for. My goal is to try them all eventually. Unfortunately I live 1000 miles away. Workin on it though.

Off site 72-76-76-77-78(MM 50th b-day) 79-81-82-85-86 FW-84-86-88-90-90-91-92-95-96
Poly 87 GF 88 CR 90 CBR 91-06-10
Disney Inn 93 ASM 95-96-02 CS 98
POFQ 97 DIXIE Landing 00 POR 07-08 WL-11
DL-Honeymoon-77 03 OKW -13 BLT-13 BWV-13
Trips planned 2015 WDW 2016 Aulani 2017 WDW XMAS
WILDERNESS FAN 55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: