Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2012, 12:31 AM   #31
Ginger Renae
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by showrov View Post
there is an 8 month long waiting list for speech therapy. It took us 10 weeks to get dd into a pediatric eye dr. You can't see your dr if you get something like an ear infection.
A friend of mine is a speech therapist at kaiser and it is not an 8 month wait to see her. Maybe you are talking about some other kind of process?? I have NEVER had an issue getting to see a doctor. I have migraine issues and am usually in need of a narcotic shot about every 8-12 weeks. Even if I can't get in to see my primary doctor, I can always see a different one.

One thing to note is that Kaiser doesn't set your prices such as copays. That depends on what coverage your company provides. My appointment copays are kind of pricey at $40 and I have a name brand scrip deductible. One of my migraine meds doesn't have a generic so until I hit like $500, I have to pay the full price of over $220 for 9 pills. That's not a kaiser *issue* per se, but not all scrips are necessarily going to be super cheap.
Ginger Renae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:44 AM   #32
furb & dez
City Bear Jamboreers

This was several years ago, mind you, but when my previous job switched over from a choice of plans to Kaiser (southern California), there were so many complaints that we ditched them the following year.

One of the gals even said, "why don't you just give me the money each month, and I'll go across the border and find a tribal shaman. It'll be cheaper and better than what we're getting with Kaiser!"
Our first trip to WDW! Had fun, a bit disappointed in the lack of things to keep us busy. Next trip: eh, 5 years perhaps? Don't understand the psychosis of wasting time trying to meet actors in fursuits or princess costumes, but, wev...
furb & dez is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-23-2012, 10:59 AM   #33
iuki
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dis-happy View Post
It's more of a true HMO and runs a bit like military medical care. Know several people with Kaiser horror stories. However if your dd is young and fairly healthy she will probably be okay with it for basic needs.
When we lived in the Pacific NW, we LOVED Kaiser. We retired in Florida and have BC/BS PPO. Although we are happy to have medical insurance, we would switch to Kaiser in a heartbeat if it were offered here.

As far as "horror stories" go - I worked in hospitals that were NOT Kaiser, and I could tell you stories that would surprise you. ALL medical facilities have their own stories and "cover-up".

iuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:31 PM   #34
disneyhand
DIS Veteran

We absolutely love our Kaiser coverage. Many years ago they had some problems due to business growth with more patients than facilities. Here they have added and expanded facilities and I find them top of the line. I think they do a great job.

My family has experienced 4 medical crisis this past year and the 2 experiences with Kaiser were way better than the other 2.

All of our Doctors at Kaiser have impressive medical educations, some experts in their field and all speak English clearly.
disneyhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:39 PM   #35
Ginger Renae
Mouseketeer

Just to add, my biggest issue with Kaiser is finding a bleeping parking spot when I have to go there. It's a new facility - only open for about 4-5 years and partying is atrocious. I have occasionally spent 30 minutes driving around the parking lots fighting everyone else to find a spot. I fact, I need to run over there now, but I am waiting til after noon when people leave for lunch just so I can find a parking spot.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:49 PM   #36
FINFAN
Mom to Tinkbell
Makes the best Apple Pie on her block!
My driver's license will say "Florida Resident" one day!
I blame Jaws

Many thanks again..as always the DIS comes thru! Having your kid move across the country is hard enough right out of college, but not knowing how the medical is run adds to the stress. You guys have given us great insight and valuable info. Much appreciated!
Since there are many of you posting form teh Bay area...any other things/info to share? Feel free to pm me as well. We know that there are certain areas to avoid when she is looking for more permanent housing~ and the foggy areas vs East Bay..ONe other thing we are learning is rent control can be sketchy. DD is loving that the new Target opened in the city!
Dan's IN to the Hall of Fame!

FINFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:03 PM   #37
Ginger Renae
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINFAN View Post
Many thanks again..as always the DIS comes thru! Having your kid move across the country is hard enough right out of college, but not knowing how the medical is run adds to the stress. You guys have given us great insight and valuable info. Much appreciated!
Since there are many of you posting form teh Bay area...any other things/info to share? Feel free to pm me as well. We know that there are certain areas to avoid when she is looking for more permanent housing~ and the foggy areas vs East Bay..ONe other thing we are learning is rent control can be sketchy. DD is loving that the new Target opened in the city!
Unfortunately, I am in the South Bay so I can't offer much info on SF and East Bay. Best of luck to your daughter!
Old 10-23-2012, 03:27 PM   #38
FINFAN
Mom to Tinkbell
Makes the best Apple Pie on her block!
My driver's license will say "Florida Resident" one day!
I blame Jaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Renae View Post
Unfortunately, I am in the South Bay so I can't offer much info on SF and East Bay. Best of luck to your daughter!
Thanks Ginger Ranae....I see your BlackHawks siggie...we are from Chicago! I actually wish DD was heading ot the San Jose area...she is more of a suburban girl, hit the city for fun type thig...but she is excited!
Dan's IN to the Hall of Fame!

FINFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:49 PM   #39
dis-happy
DIS Veteran

Ran across this tonight...

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/...-wrong-kidney/

Kaiser hospital fined for removing wrong kidney

The state fined the Kaiser Foundation Hospital $75,000 Thursday for removing the wrong kidney from a patient during a surgery in late 2010.

Kaiser said in a statement that it regrets the error, which occurred at its San Diego hospital on Zion Avenue, and has changed its policies on proper verification of surgical sites.

The patient was identified only as an 85-year-old male in an investigative report released Thursday by the California Department of Public Health.

The fine was one of 12 handed down by the state agency Thursday totaling $785,000. It was the second of the year for Kaiser San Diego, which received a $50,000 penalty in June for leaving a towel in a patient.

Though other hospitals in the county have been penalized since the state started levying fines in 2007 as a way of preventing medical errors, none were cited on Thursday.

This time, according to a state document, a surgeon, identified in the report only as “Surgeon S,” removed the patient’s right kidney even though several previous CT scans showed that it was the left kidney that contained a cancerous tumor.

A pathology report later showed that the removed kidney did not contain a cancerous tumor.

Loss of his only healthy kidney, the report states, has been a big blow for the elderly patient who is suffering from chronic fatigue and depression and has been unable “to perform his previously enjoyed hobbies of dancing and golfing.”

Ralph Montano, a spokesman for the California Department of Public Health, said health care privacy laws prohibit the state from releasing any more information about the incident, adding that the state does not keep track of a patient’s condition after its investigation is complete.

“We don’t track the patient outcome, so we cannot provide any information beyond what’s in the report,” Montano said.

Wrong-site surgery, considered so egregious that it is termed a “never event” by regulators, has been a growing area of focus in recent years.

According to The Joint Commission, the main hospital accreditation organization in the United States, wrong-site surgeries have increased from 60 in 2001 to 152 in 2011.

The commission recommends certain procedures, like taking a “time out” for a few minutes before surgery to verify important facts, such as whether the correct patient is on the operating table and whether the correct surgical site has been identified.

It was not clear whether a time out was taken before the patient’s kidney was removed, though the state’s report did say that surgeon and patient met before the operation began.

The report indicated that Kaiser’s surgical site verification policy required surgeons to use an X-ray or other technology to verify the location of organs before operation only “if relevant.”

But, according to the report, Surgeon S declined to take a look at CT scans, or to have them displayed in the operating room during surgery, because “the procedure did not require a review of the anatomy or vasculature.”

An interview with the patient’s wife after the surgery indicated that she and her husband were not aware that it was the left kidney that was to be removed, according to the report. Complicating matters, the wife told investigators that her husband “had been having pain on the right side of his body and that caused him to associate the right-sided pain with the right side of his body.”

In its formal response to the state’s report, Kaiser says that it has now made confirmation of the proper surgical site using a CT scan or other imaging device mandatory. It was not immediately clear Thursday why such confirmation practices were not mandatory before the 2010 surgery occurred.

In addition, Kaiser said in a statement Thursday that it has created a “multidisciplinary surgical safety team that meets weekly to discuss ideas for continuously promoting safe operating practices.”
dis-happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:42 AM   #40
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandrA9810 View Post
I've heard it's very strict on being in network only, even prescriptions have to be filled at their pharmacy rather than the walgreens down at the end of the block. At least that's the complaint from my neighbor, and there's not a lot of locations to go to here.
There is no network. Their doctors are Kaiser employees, not employees of medical groups that have network agreements with Kaiser. They own the pharmacy, the labs, the hospitals, everything.
As they have grown, they have had to negotiate agreements with other hospitals and support services because they at times may not have the capacity to treat all their members.

You either love, or hate Kaiser. I am not a member, but it is an option at my work. A VERY expensive option, $1,100 a month for a family as compared to $300 to $500 for the other HMO and PPO options. But you pay nothing for anything.....well, almost nothing. My brother has Kaiser and was hospialized for 3 months, his bill came to $50.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:16 AM   #41
Handbag Lady
Disneyland Bride 2000
If you can't say somethng nice, come sit next to me
Has the wherewithall to save bakery goods from earthquakes

I'm a Kaiser baby and was born at Kaiser, Harbor City.

I don't have it now, but my mother and father had it most of their lives. My dad switched years ago, my mother loves it and gets the care she needs always. She had carpal tunnel surgery a few years ago and she felt well-cared for and had zero monetary surprises.
Handbag Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:02 AM   #42
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

I've been with Kaiser for over 40 years, starting in Northern CA when I worked for the US Civil Service, then transferring down to southern CA when I moved here. I agree with the comment about it being similar to military medical coverage.

I grew up with military coverage (Dad was career military). When I "aged out" at 18 I took the Kaiser option at work.

All 3 of my children were born at Kaiser, and my DH switched to Kaiser when his personal docter retired several years ago.

We've always (yes, always) had good medical services for our care. My only complaints are (in agreement with another PP) you may wind up with a "new" doctor and some of them do have pretty heavy accents. But the care was great. But you can select a specific doctor to be your doctor once you find one that you love.

I'm also unhappy that they are not in Arizona, since that's looking like our most likely retirement spot. I really hate that I'm going to have find a new doctor/HMO/whatever when we move there.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: