Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2012, 01:48 PM   #1
MsPlutoNJ
Aca-awkward

Key to the World Card demagnetization

Stupid question: do the key to the world cards get demagnetized by Iphone or magnets? I have a magnet on my cell phone case which doesn't bother my credit cards, but apparently does not like hotel keys.

Can't remember having a problem in the past at Disney, however, during my last two hotel stays (South Carolina and Atlantic City in the last two months) I demagnetized both of my hotel cards.

Just want to prepare for my upcoming trip.

Anyone know?

Thanks!!

TRIPS TO WDW: Ft Wilderness, '84; Ft Wilderness, Aug. '86; CB, Aug. '96; ASM, June '05; ASM, Dec. '07; ASM, Oct. '08; Pop, March '09; Dis Wonder w/ 2 days at Pop, Jan. '10; Pop, Oct. '10; Pop, Nov. '11; Pop, Dec. '12; & Pop, Dec. '13.
MsPlutoNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:06 PM   #2
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

The iPhone itself should have no effect on your card however the magnet on the case will have an effect.
Register to remove

Old 10-13-2012, 11:27 AM   #3
MsPlutoNJ
Aca-awkward

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKW Lover View Post
The iPhone itself should have no effect on your card however the magnet on the case will have an effect.
Thanks for the response!

TRIPS TO WDW: Ft Wilderness, '84; Ft Wilderness, Aug. '86; CB, Aug. '96; ASM, June '05; ASM, Dec. '07; ASM, Oct. '08; Pop, March '09; Dis Wonder w/ 2 days at Pop, Jan. '10; Pop, Oct. '10; Pop, Nov. '11; Pop, Dec. '12; & Pop, Dec. '13.
MsPlutoNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:30 PM   #4
PictureJumpr
At Least 'til it Rains

Yep.

I used to use a shoulder bag in the parks which had a magnetic closure on it.
My KTTW card got demagnetized just from being in one of the zipper pouches inside the bag, about three fabric layers and two inches away from the actual magnet.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:41 AM   #5
MinnieGirl33
Hockey Mom to 2

Since the cards now have an RFID chip instead of the customary mag stripe there should be no more issues.

With the mag stripe I had a problem with my old Blackberry yet not with my iPhone Who knows but I am still careful about it just because its a p.i.t.a. to have to go get new keys. Not the end of the world, just a pain, IMO.

MinnieGirl33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:20 PM   #6
SyracuseWolvrine
Hockey Fanatic
Is he a bigger hockey fan than a Canadian?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieGirl33 View Post
Since the cards now have an RFID chip instead of the customary mag stripe there should be no more issues.

Although room keys at many resorts now use RFID for room unlocking (rather than mag stripe), the magnetic stripe is still used for merchandise and park admission, so yes, you still need to worry about demagnetization
The opinions and comments in the above post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, policies or procedures of the Walt Disney Company or any of its subsidiaries or affiliates, including but not limited to the Walt Disney World Resort and all areas contained therein. Any information or advice in the above post is subject to change at any time without notice. Tampering with, disabling, or destroying lavatory smoke detectors is prohibited. This post may contain nuts or be written by someone who is nuts. Void where prohibited. This post may not be reproduced without express written permission of the Commissioner of Baseball. The moving rubber line is moving at the same speed as you. Member FDIC.
SyracuseWolvrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:38 AM   #7
MinnieGirl33
Hockey Mom to 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyracuseWolvrine View Post
Although room keys at many resorts now use RFID for room unlocking (rather than mag stripe), the magnetic stripe is still used for merchandise and park admission, so yes, you still need to worry about demagnetization
Good to know! Thanks!

MinnieGirl33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:42 AM   #8
TaraPA
I will think of that animatronic as him
I also wouldn't mind if they made it racier!The germs would just skeeve me out!

Yes I had a problem with mine last year from the magnetic closure on my bag!

Poly Girls Trip 5/14**Poly/AKV Girls Trip 3/14**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 12/13 **BWI CL/CSR BC Dane's surprise 13th birthday 8/13**BWV Girls Trip 4/13**WL CL/AKV Jambo family trip 3/13**CSR surprising family trip 12/12**POR Girls Trip 10/12 ** BC CL/Dolphin Family Trip 3/12** BCV/Poly Girls Trip 3/12**AKV Kidani 11/11 Girls Trip! **Dolphin 3/11 family trip ** Swan - 3/11 GIRLS TRIP!**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 10/10!**Dolphin 2/10- ESPN Weekend/family trip**BLT 11/09 Girls Trip** Dolphin 12/08 Girls Trip**Solo trip/offsite 05/08** Dolphin 12/07 mom & Dane trip**AKL 12/06 family trip**AS Music 11/02 mom & Ty trip**Disneyland - Anaheim Hilton 5/02 adults only!** AS Sports 9/01 family trip**Swan 10/00 family trip**CSR 10/99 family trip**offsite 1989,1987, 1970's
[/SIZE]
TaraPA is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: